Grundy County Football

curtislowe

You specifically said in some games, no matter what you done you was going to lose. That means your mindset going into the game was that it was already a loss. Against superior teams why not change your strategy considering its already a loss in your mind and that is how you prepared your team for the game. Since there is no shot clock in high school basketball id rather hold onto the ball the ENTIRE game and have a shot at winning 10-8 besides admitting defeat before the game even starts. If they never control the ball it's going to be hard for them to score many points.

Three years ago in a Christmas Tournament at Bledsoe Co we were playing Rhea Co... They had handily beaten us earlier in the season. We took the air out of the ball to keep from getting into a running game with them... The score at halftime was 9-6. We ended up losing by two with one of our best shooters rimming out a 3 pt shot at the buzzer.

Last year we were playing Bledsoe Co on their senior night... They had beaten us three times (summer camps and regular season) by an average of 25 points each time because they were physically better than us... each time we tried different game plans to see what would work against that type of talent. The last time we played them we took the air out of the ball again and it was a 10 point game going into the fourth qtr... we still lost the game but we at least had a change late to win...

Again, I'm not a great coach... not even a good coach... but we find success somehow..

Three years ago in a Christmas Tournament at Bledsoe Co we were playing Rhea Co... They had handily beaten us earlier in the season. We took the air out of the ball to keep from getting into a running game with them... The score at halftime was 9-6. We ended up losing by two with one of our best shooters rimming out a 3 pt shot at the buzzer.

Last year we were playing Bledsoe Co on their senior night... They had beaten us three times (summer camps and regular season) by an average of 25 points each time because they were physically better than us... each time we tried different game plans to see what would work against that type of talent. The last time we played them we took the air out of the ball again and it was a 10 point game going into the fourth qtr... we still lost the game but we at least had a change late to win...

Again, I'm not a great coach... not even a good coach... but we find success somehow..

Exactly my point. Against superior teams besides of going into the game expecting to lose why not just play ball control and keep it out of their hands thus not giving them the chance to score. This will keep you in every game and give you a shot at a win. Despite what some people would say, there is no wrong or right way to win a game.

Exactly my point. Against superior teams besides of going into the game expecting to lose why not just play ball control and keep it out of their hands thus not giving them the chance to score. This will keep you in every game and give you a shot at a win. Despite what some people would say, there is no wrong or right way to win a game.

Never said I went into a game not trying to win... I always try to find a game plan that gives my guys a chance to win...

So what are your goals and expectations for this season?

My expectations for my team this year is for my guys to work hard, represent our ourselves/team/school/community in a positive manner, stay on top of their academics, and execute our gameplans to the best of their ability.

Our goals are too numerous to list here. We have individual goals and team goals and they are multi-tiered meaning that when we reach one another one automatically kicks in. For example, our first team goal is to win the first Qtr of the first ballgame in Nov 12... After that it will be the fist half of the game, then don't have a let down coming out of the locker room for 3rd qtr, and finally win that first ballgame. So as a team we have four goals that will have been targeted during the first game. We'll evaluate, watch game film, scout next opponent, develop a new gameplan and start the process all over again.... For me personally, I have some team goals that I'm going to be working toward and those are repeat as District Champions, win Region for first time in school history, host Sectional game for first time in school history, and play in Murfreesboro at State Tournament for first time in school history. However, none of those goals will be possible if we don't meet the numerous team and individual goals that we have.

Again, I never said I was a great coach or even a good coach. Not sure how this turned in to a MC basketball thread simply because I asked Opie to explain why all losses are the coaches fault and all wins are credited to the players.

Let's get it back on topic. If you are simply talking about how the coach addresses the media, I wholeheartedly agree. I was asked one time how my team was doing and my answer was the boys are 7-0 but I'm 0-4, and I left it at that.

Again, I never said I was a great coach or even a good coach. Not sure how this turned in to a MC basketball thread simply because I asked Opie to explain why all losses are the coaches fault and all wins are credited to the players.

Let's get it back on topic. If you are simply talking about how the coach addresses the media, I wholeheartedly agree. I was asked one time how my team was doing and my answer was the boys are 7-0 but I'm 0-4, and I left it at that.

Purple. This thread is like fighting a losing battle.. I have been going through this mess with Grundy fans for almost a year now. It's always the coaches fault when they lose according to some people. One of your previous posts made me think of it like this. Coaches do not tackle, or fumble the ball, or throw interceptions, or make touchdowns. They form a game plan. Call the plays but it is up to the players to execute the plan and the plays. I will say this. Football is a game of emotion. One play can turn a game around on either sideline. This has certainly been an emotional season for Grundy. People can say what they want but our team as gotten better over the last few weeks. Some say its because we have played a few cupcakes. I do not buy into that. I think coaching has had alot to do with it. These players love this coaching staff and are playing their hearts out right now. You can see it on the field. We should win again this week and then it's the big one against Notre Dame. I am drinking the Kool-Aid and believing we can win out.

Edited by MtnGoatBilly

Know we are getting on the same page. I would not just say how the coach addresses the media but anything that is said in public. Again as you have said there is more to it than just wins. That is why I have always said there are multiple reasons why this was a bad hire from the beginning. The coaches suspension this year just put a bigger spotlight on some of those issues...

I agree opie it was a bad hire from the beginning and mtngoatbilly you must be suffocating because your so far up these coaches butt it isnt even funny! You will see next week when the Irish come to the mountain how much these coaches know. So you can see the true side of things I believe even you and Rayburn could coach this team and beat the cream puffs. We have not had a quality win for the last 2 years. Remember mtngoatbilly if you don't get enough oxygen to your brain you will become a vegetable. Come out an breathe!

Maybe we should start a Marion County basketball/Chuck Keef thread and discuss all things related there.