Umpires, yes umpires

formerbobcat

It's 'This one time at band camp' phenomenon.  Most games call themselves, but there's a few quirky things in baseball where you have to know the freakin' rules.

The infield fly rule can't just slip your mind. 

I think the batting out of order rule is there because you can't have do overs or fix stupid.  Who doesn't know the batting order?  It's usually posted on the dang dugout wall and there's 2 score keepers minimum keeping  score.  You should never bat out of order first and second, it should never make it to the next pitch if you do.  It's not the umpires job to keep up with the score or the batting order.  Competent score keepers prevent this.

Here's one.  Infield at edge of grass, batted ball hits baserunner beyond the grass.  What's the call?  Or baserunner standing on first base and gets hit with a line drive.  What's the call?  Does the tie go to the runner on a bang bang play?

Base runner beyond the grass infielders on the edge..the play continues..yes the base runner was hit by a batted ball but it was after the fielders had a chance to field it so no interference.I have never seen this happen and Ill explain latter .. The base runner on first is out  for interference if the ball hits him in fair territory. being on base is not a sanctuary,  and there are no ties in baseball make the call the way you saw it.  I am a very armature little league Ump and have had to make the call on 2(third base not first) and 3 but never 1...why would a runner get hit running  in the grass on a batted ball. I would think he would be in the  base line... gave my answer assuming he is the flash and was rounding for a hard turn..

Edited by Beagle

Little League is where it happens most and it's because the runners can't leave until the ball passes the plate and the runners are just running on contact.  First baseman is edge of the grass and a ball in the hole between him and the second baseman hits the runner on his way to 2nd.  Particularly on 60 ft bases and with kids of varying ability, it happens.  I've seen it happen twice over the years and the umpire called the base runner out both times.

The fielder is edge of grass.  The runner is in the base path.  A batted ball that hits the runner after it gets past a fielder is the scenario.

Edited by ksgovols

Little League is where it happens most and it's because the runners can't leave until the ball passes the plate and the runners are just running on contact.  First baseman is edge of the grass and a ball in the hole between him and the second baseman hits the runner on his way to 2nd.  Particularly on 60 ft bases and with kids of varying ability, it happens.  I've seen it happen twice over the years and the umpire called the base runner out both times.

The fielder is edge of grass.  The runner is in the base path.  A batted ball that hits the runner after it gets past a fielder is the scenario.

In this scenario the batter (assuming he reaches base) and the runner are safe. The ball does not tag the runner out, the runner is out on the call of obstruction(impeding the fielders ability to cleanly field the ball), and the ball being past the fielder(s) nullifies the call. Everyone seems to know the effect of the rule, but few actually know the basis.

Edited by tradertwo

• 4 weeks later...

Well lets hear it - with scrimmages and Play Dates going on all over the state this past weekend, how were the boys in blue? 

Did they do a decent job where you were or did they have to cancel baseball all together because they were so inept as a few of you have implied in previous posts? 

The umps do the best they can and for the most part are engaged and give it 100% effort. The ones that get the most of the problems are the ones who bring it on themselves by wanting to be seen, just make the calls and dont get upset if people disagree with you...umpiring is like coaching all you can do is make the best decisions you can and some will believe you made a mistake but if you gave effort and were fait then you will garner respect.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I personally think the umpires are getting worse every season and I have been around High School and Middle School baseball for more than 20 years. Most are only in it for the money and do not care about doing a good job because their is no accountability. In most games I attend all they are concerned with is how quickly they can get the game finished. I also get tired of hearing Ump's talk about having to widen the strike zone. This is just an excuse to be incompetent. If they did this in basketball would it mean that a team that has a low field goal percentage would be allowed to shot on a basket with a larger diameter rim. I don't really see the difference. We did have a crew this last week from the Dickson Association that were the best I've seen behind the plate in years. But I do believe overall we are on a downhill slide.

Saw this story earlier this month about MLB umpires: http://www.datanami.com/datanami/2014-04-08/come_on_blue_data_reveals_umpires_biases.html

MLB umpires miss pitches, they even widen the zone. Umpires can and will get the pitch on the inside or outside portion of the plate, that pitch is hitable. Its the pitches on the chalk that are unexcusable. Mistakes happen and that pitch is called but consistantly calling that a strike is wrong. Umpires I know are NOT just in it for the money. $65 is not a lot when you factor in travel, gas, gear expenses, and time away from family. Dont give me this, "I wish I made $32.50/hr BS" because you gotta factor leaving work early, driving on avg 30 min each way, gas money, change in the parking lot (for crying out loud, what other sport has their officials change from the trunk of their car), then umpire a game and go home.

Thats my two sense, there are ones who put a black eye on the sport but the ones I know work hard at it, put in the time to go to fall camps, and try their best to be fair to both teams and call the game how it suppose to be called.

Well said David.  

But I think professional baseball is headed down the road to having more calls made by cameras and computers, eventually.  It's a shame too, part of the appeal/romance of baseball was the human factor involving the umpires.

Oh, and I'm headed back your way Limbaugh on May 20th or so, hope to see you.

Well said David.  

But I think professional baseball is headed down the road to having more calls made by cameras and computers, eventually.  It's a shame too, part of the appeal/romance of baseball was the human factor involving the umpires.

Oh, and I'm headed back your way Limbaugh on May 20th or so, hope to see you.

Be sure to come by and say hi!!!

Saw this story earlier this month about MLB umpires: http://www.datanami.com/datanami/2014-04-08/come_on_blue_data_reveals_umpires_biases.html

MLB umpires miss pitches, they even widen the zone. Umpires can and will get the pitch on the inside or outside portion of the plate, that pitch is hitable. Its the pitches on the chalk that are unexcusable. Mistakes happen and that pitch is called but consistantly calling that a strike is wrong. Umpires I know are NOT just in it for the money. $65 is not a lot when you factor in travel, gas, gear expenses, and time away from family. Dont give me this, "I wish I made $32.50/hr BS" because you gotta factor leaving work early, driving on avg 30 min each way, gas money, change in the parking lot (for crying out loud, what other sport has their officials change from the trunk of their car), then umpire a game and go home.

Thats my two sense, there are ones who put a black eye on the sport but the ones I know work hard at it, put in the time to go to fall camps, and try their best to be fair to both teams and call the game how it suppose to be called.

Often times the umpires widen the zone because the pitchers are so bad they can't throw consistent strikes.  If they didn't widen the zone it would be a five hour 7 inning game.  I hate it just like you do because it's not fair to the kids that really know the strike zone but no one wants to be at the park for 5 hours. 

The worst part about a Umpire widening the strike zone is when they are too stupid to keep their mouth shut about it. I have heard multiple Umpires almost bragging about widening the strike zone. It's usually with people in the crowd sitting close to the fence and after someone else was complaining about balls and strikes. I know it's not an easy job, because I've done it and I know it's not all Umpires, but it seems to be getting more prevalent. I have also watched game film with Umps calling strikes 12 inches off the plate. What is and is not a strike is defined in the rules. I know their are extreme situations when calling loose strikes may be the most sportsman choice. However, I think many go way too extreme in cases and I'm not talking about missing one every now and again neither. I'm just looking to improve what we're getting and create a little accountability. So if that means we need to pay a little more I think it would be worth it.