Meigs County Football - where did it go?

anothertiger

I'm going to start off by saying it can not be the players.  You can not continue to blame this on the players.  Maybe that worked the first year, but it is time we tell the truth.  These are the same boys that were extremely successful in Jr. ball.  In my opinion, management has thrown their hands up.  I can not believe the principal or higher ups have not done something about this.  So much for stepping down to single A ball.  We are still going to end up last in the district. 

The coaches have NO idea how to adjust.  For one, what does the head coach do?  Vestal was offensive coordinator last year and now he is defensive coordinator.  Friday night was a disgrace to Meigs County.  The coaches had no idea what so ever how to adjust and stop them from scoring. Most coaches make adjustments but not them.  They keep doing the same thing then say the boys are not doing their job or they don't have heart.  Being a home town boy don't make you a coach and certainly don't win ball games.   

Now lets talk about offense.  WHY? Why are we running a spread offense?  We do not have the athletes to run a spread.  Rockwood's second string played the entire second half and we could not score on them until the last couple of minutes into the game. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.  If it isn't working - CHANGE! 

What is going on?  Where is our pride?  We need to do something to turn this around.  We haven't had a winning season in five years. Am I the only one who is over it???????? 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to add the fact that they have been competive in basketball and baseball the past few years but still come up short in football.  Are the same kids playing football, or are they not sharing athletes well???

I realize that the two other sports do not always translate to success on the football field, but there is sometimes a correlation. 

That's what happens when you practice 2 days a week, tues and thurs, I don't count Mon  because the team has to run pretty much run all afternoon according the points scored by the opposition. Is this how you make a team better...by running? Or do the coaches not have any other kind of answer. I think some of the blame goes out to all the Meigs county fans that signed a petition to forcefully get in the current coaching staff. Hows that petition working for you now? Meigs county used to be one of the toughest teams to beat in the area. I foresee an mass exodus of football players leaving the program. Better make a change fast or Meigs might not have enough kids to have a football program. I see no wins in the furture. I wish the best for the program. Something needs to be done and done NOW! any arguments? None for me, the scoreboard proclaims the truth. Can you handle the truth? Again best wishes for the program, may they be competitive SOON. If you have any suggestions please help this team.

I'm sure the coaches know more than you parents and good ole boys. Any quality coach knows once you commit to a system then you see it through. Only idiots think you can Change a whole offense or defense in a week. Either get behind your coach and team or don't go to the games,don't listen to on the radio!

5 years is longer than a week, ask Derek Dooley why UT couldn't commit into his system and see it through. The good ole boys have had their time at Meigs, time for a change.

Good ole/ boys that who we have coaching now. If they knew what they were doing there should not be a need to completely change the offense or defense 5 games into the season. Meigs has a good following and instead of not going or listening to the radio you should attend school board meetings and voice your frustration with the current coaching situation.

It's the head coaches responsibility to be able to assess what the team needs from his position on down.  If your team doesn't have the atheletes to run the spread option, find something that fits your tallent.  The offensive coordiantor shouldn't be so narrow minded to think that just because he likes the offense, he can run it no matter what.  Especially without the personnel needed.  There have been too many coaches that have fell in this hole.  The teams that Meigs had in the 90's were loaded with tallent.  They had the size, they had the power (The Meadows boys), the speed (Tyrone), so they could run the wing T to perfection.  Cleveland of the 90's could run whatever they wanted, Tellico had that massive O-line in the early 90's, that is why they could run the Single Wing (or Notre Dame box, whichever you want to call it), Marion County had Eric Westmoreland....  I could go on and on.  But the problem each of these teams saw is that when the tallent left, the head coaches weren't flexible, and because they couldn't adapt to what they did have, those coaches have been sent packing or retired under less than fortunate circumstances. apsugovs7 said that UT doesn't have the tallent.  The reason for that, TN hasn't had a system in place that fit what they did have and haven't had any success.  You can say kids don't have heart, but if they don't have something to be excited about and something that they CAN EXECUTE, something they can run and see success from, they wish they were somewhere else or go somewhere else.   A change needs to be made.  The question is, will it be the head coach or will he let it drag on and force the principal to make one?  Let's hope it doesn't go that far.  There is too much tradition at Meigs County.  I hope it's the Head Coach that makes it and soon.  Changing an offense isn't as bad in highschool as it is at any other level.  Blocking stays the same for linemen.  Backs can learn formations pretty quick. 

Edited by Footballisareligion

I would also like to add the fact that they have been competive in basketball and baseball the past few years but still come up short in football.  Are the same kids playing football, or are they not sharing athletes well???

I realize that the two other sports do not always translate to success on the football field, but there is sometimes a correlation. 

Some play multiple sports, but there are several good athletes that either quit or did not come out because they knew with the same coaches they would get the same results.... a loosing season.  The majority of the problem is not the players.  It is how they are prepared and game day stratagy that does it.