Lebanon @ Gallatin

thegreatone36

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lebanon is 1-5 this season, 0-3 in district play. The win was over Franklin Co. They have been competitive in losses to MJ, Hendersonville, and SC this year. They held a lead the majority of the game against Lincoln Co. but couldn't put them away and lost by 1 on a last minute FG. Played their best game of the year in the loss to SC a couple of weeks ago (lost by 6 & had the ball at midfield as time ran out). However, they had their poorest showing of the year this past Friday in a 16-0 loss to Cookeville. They have two good backs Taye Davis (#28) & Karlton Bruton (#25). Davis, a junior, is more of a power back but does have some speed in the open field. Doesn't always attack the hole hard. Bruton, sophomore I think, is smaller, more shifty, but runs with authority. They have a soph QB and his main target is his Jr. TE Crutchfield (#49). Their biggest problems this season have been caused by falling behind in the first qtr. I believe the only game in which they've scored first was the opener vs MJ. Because of their limitations in the passing game they do not play well from behind. They have good size on both the offensive & defensive lines but have gotten pushed around on both sides quite a bit this year. Secondary is pretty good especially Sr. cornerback Marqualis Williams (#81). Another big problem for the Blue Devils this season has been lack of depth.  They are building some as the season goes along but will just take time.  Sam Harp is doing some good things with this program it just hasn't translated in the W/L column yet. 

Good analysis. Good to hear a coach is doing good things with the program. Good things will eventually translate.

Appreciate the kind words. Although I think the decline only started last year. The 09 team only lost by 3 points in the semi's to Beech, who handily won the championship game. The 11 team had all the talent in the world, had some great wins knocking off some big programs, just had some player issues when playoffs rolled around. The talent has been there very recently, it is just in the last 2 years that I feel that we haven't had any standout players. They play with a lot of heart though, and that helps. They show me signs throughout the year that tells me they can be good. Other times it looks like they play too conservative and don't want to hit somebody in the mouth. They have to play with a chip on their shoulder. With that said, I do hope that the program begins to head in the right direction, I feel that they are taking the necessary steps to do that.

Good Post. Agreed.

First and goal is dead on. Everything he said about Lebanon is the truth. The real truth is clueless. If crap stinks. People are going to say it. Gallatin don't settle for 3-7. Like wave said. We lost to Portland ( they don't even have shoes). We lost to 1a trousdale county ( they don't even know what shoes are ). By the way. The Gallatin qb is good.

I agree as well to most and possibly all with more explanation. The few former players have no pride and no justifiable reason to stab there alma mater in the back. I attempted to understand and even reason with this but now can only see it as deplorable. Not properly growing existing talent? Who? If a kid has attitude issues and/or makes a 14 on the ACT, they are not SEC material. Isolated. Discipline starts at home. Who wants less emphasis on sports? I know there is a emphasis on STEM and freshman academy from the academic side but, no less emphasis in sport. Not in the principal's plan. Explain the rumor. The questionable hires as assistants left or were let go. Good staff in place now as you said. Talent is average currently. Got to get above average results. I've read facebook as well and only see negativity. Biggest challege for Gallatin Football is not the kids in football with team and coaches as they continue to build. It is the activity of deplorable men and negativity of facebook, twitter and by mouth in and out of the stands from our own fans and parents that hinders Pride. Through all these changes, I believe GREEN WAVE PRIDE has never left and has been cultivated with on scene and behind the scene efforts this year. Perseverance will be key.

I will try to explain some. Existing talent- there have been some individuals who had the talent to help the team yet their skills were not recognized or not used during games. I think this has a lot to do with some of the past assistants. Now mind you, I said the last twenty years. I am not talking about some of the ones that have left recently so much. I knew of one guy, who's name escapes me, that was very good in the JV games that rarely touched the field during varsity even though at his position they were not very good. In the last 3 or so games he got playing time and made several key plays and stood out on defense. That was around 2000. I am far from all this D1 or SEC talent guy. Very few ever make it to that level. I want the guys to go to the next level but it takes more than what the do on the field. That's not my issue. Some of the assistants, for whatever reason were just bad hires. Maybe they filled the classroom need or whatever but thought more highly of themselves. Just not a good fit or coach in my opinion. Remember last 20 years. For the " too much emphasis on sports", there have been people since I was in school that have said that. Even teachers. In the 90's with Shorts retirement, I think this got a push and athletics in general suffered. There were some former school board members from other towns who thought this way and there was some carry over. And I agree, discipline starts at home. However, there have been times in the past, not with Williams, that players should have been punished more severely or kicked off the team do their actions and they weren't. The kids that worked hard and did the right things resented that. I was told by several different former players that favoritism did in fact exist. I can name names. But none of that matters now. Like I said, I think they have a good staff in place. I would like to see more aggressiveness. But I would like a new truck too with some jet skis.

First and goal is dead on. Everything he said about Lebanon is the truth. The real truth is clueless. If crap stinks. People are going to say it. Gallatin don't settle for 3-7. Like wave said. We lost to Portland ( they don't even have shoes). We lost to 1a trousdale county ( they don't even know what shoes are ). By the way. The Gallatin qb is good.

He is dead on. Agreed. However, you need to refrain using "we" when discussing Gallatin.

I will try to explain some. Existing talent- there have been some individuals who had the talent to help the team yet their skills were not recognized or not used during games. I think this has a lot to do with some of the past assistants. Now mind you, I said the last twenty years. I am not talking about some of the ones that have left recently so much. I knew of one guy, who's name escapes me, that was very good in the JV games that rarely touched the field during varsity even though at his position they were not very good. In the last 3 or so games he got playing time and made several key plays and stood out on defense. That was around 2000. I am far from all this D1 or SEC talent guy. Very few ever make it to that level. I want the guys to go to the next level but it takes more than what the do on the field. That's not my issue. Some of the assistants, for whatever reason were just bad hires. Maybe they filled the classroom need or whatever but thought more highly of themselves. Just not a good fit or coach in my opinion. Remember last 20 years. For the " too much emphasis on sports", there have been people since I was in school that have said that. Even teachers. In the 90's with Shorts retirement, I think this got a push and athletics in general suffered. There were some former school board members from other towns who thought this way and there was some carry over. And I agree, discipline starts at home. However, there have been times in the past, not with Williams, that players should have been punished more severely or kicked off the team do their actions and they weren't. The kids that worked hard and did the right things resented that. I was told by several different former players that favoritism did in fact exist. I can name names. But none of that matters now. Like I said, I think they have a good staff in place. I would like to see more aggressiveness. But I would like a new truck too with some jet skis.

Thanks for your openness. I think if we did discuss or debate this and name names, you would open my eyes to some things and I yours. Regardless of our opinion, we still will not know all circumstances of why a kid did not get more playing time or if the kids that were "favorites" were just better than the ones that felt slighted. Discipline? Case by case. Do you truly know all details or were you told by former players too? Speculation. If you want to discuss, send me a way to contact you. By the way, I would like to see more aggressiveness too. Also, I'd like a boat.

Although there has be very little favoritism going throughout the years, that happens at every school in every sport. Politics make some kids go really far. And this was even the case back when Coach Short was in charge. I remember a couple guys at that time (not mentioning names) that should have been playing that wasn't, because of politics. Again, this was even during the late 80,s/90's

Thanks for your openness. I think if we did discuss or debate this and name names, you would open my eyes to some things and I yours. Regardless of our opinion, we still will not know all circumstances of why a kid did not get more playing time or if the kids that were "favorites" were just better than the ones that felt slighted. Discipline? Case by case. Do you truly know all details or were you told by former players too? Speculation. If you want to discuss, send me a way to contact you. By the way, I would like to see more aggressiveness too. Also, I'd like a boat.

I would take a boat as well. I know what I was told by players. I know what I know by parents. I know what I know by media. I could name names but like I said it doesn't matter now. I would prefer to concentrate on this season. If you are who I think you are then you are very close to the situation. I am all about building up the program and not tearing it down like some individuals. Really good changes have been made. I am very happy with the community being able to tour the school, freely talk with teachers, and see the positives. Everyone wants the same thing. To be a winner and successful on and off the field. I try to do my part but be honest in my assessments. Sometimes I am wrong, sometimes right. I am not a coach and do not desire to be. I can't take the pay cut...haha. I feel I live in a great town with good people and since I enjoy football I would like to be as much a winner as possible. Nobody is going to win them all. I have been on the T for a while. I just voice my opinion, defend, assess, congratulate, learn, cheer, and be as honest as I can. Ok sometimes talk some smack in pure fun too.

Like I said the real truth has it all over his boots and still can't smell it. It is your bedtime boy. Go go sleep for daddy.

First, I apologize for attacking your character. Such negativity breeds retaliation at a point. Second, I realize by your quotes that you do not have a true insight to the condition of Gallatin Football.  You only have a poor opinion stirred by negativity and falsehood. I hope you come to know the real truth.