Gerry Bertier's Weekly Playoff Update

Gerry Bertier

Right.  You'd want to preserve the perq for higher seeded teams.  Otherwise, what's the point of busting your tail all year to get a high seed?  Can you imagine the Alcoa guys when they're the #1 seed and have to travel to Notre Dame?  LOL!!

Speaking of Alcoa, that brings up another interesting situation. Many teams are on the geographical "bubble" between Quads, like Alcoa. Some years they can be in Quad 1, some years in Quad 2. It is possible for a team to be the #1 seed for two years in a row and have to travel both years.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can fault a team who has earned home field advantage simply because they do not have a true homefield. I'm sure east is not the only school who plays away from an on campus site. Look at teams like father Ryan who did not have a homefield for the longest time. I think white house plays away from campus. Lipscomb plays away from campus. Etc.

Ryan used to play at Vandy and that was all of their games so it was home field. Lipscombs field is one street over and the facilities are good. I don't know about whitehouse.

The question was more about facilities and will they work. Their field does not have enough seating or a place to go for bad weather.

Tps is east's home field where they play all of their home games. Does it say anywhere in the rule book that in order to host a game you have to have a certain number of seats, a certain number of restrooms, certain number of ticket booths, certain concession stand facilities,etc. if it is not clearly written then this is a conversation that doesn't matter. If it does clearly state such a rule then this proves it's not all about the kids. It's about money. And if it's written I am sure east will have options.

Speaking of Alcoa, that brings up another interesting situation. Many teams are on the geographical "bubble" between Quads, like Alcoa. Some years they can be in Quad 1, some years in Quad 2. It is possible for a team to be the #1 seed for two years in a row and have to travel both years.

Yes...obviously possible....and it looks like the rule will change every reclassification period to boot.

Edited by Antwan

Here is the rule regarding playoff sites.

The host school is to hold the games in stadiums with adequate facilities and large enough to handle the crowds. 

Adequate facilities include but are not limited to: 

1. Separate dressing rooms for both home and visiting teams with access to restrooms and shower facilities. 

2. Separate dressing areas for officials with access to restrooms and shower facilities. 

3. A restraining fence around the field or a stadium configuration that allows for control of spectator access 
to playing area. 

If the host school does not feel that its facilities are acceptable for a football play-off game, then it shall be the 
responsibility of the host school to secure adequate facilities. If additional facilities are secured, then the visiting 
school and TSSAA must be notified by noon on Saturday preceding that week’s play-off game.