1A AP POLL 10-21-13

piratetom

Other than Cloudland ranked (2) with 7 first place votes, the poll is pretty accurate. Of Course, Union City or NCS should be 1st and Dresden should be in top 4.

I'm sure Cloudland is a good team, but Wayne County would thrash them (As would 6 or 7 top teams)

The REAL state of things in 1A

As of 10/22/13

# School Rec. Dist Rec. Rating Str

1 Nashville Christian (Nashville) 7-1 4-0 22.9 -8

2 Union City 7-1 5-0 21.1 -2.3

3 Dresden 7-2 4-0 18.1 5

4 South Pittsburg 7-1 3-0 16.9 -12.2

5 Greenback 5-3 2-2 13.8 4.8

6 Humboldt 7-1 4-1 11.6 -5.6

7 Jo Byrns (Cedar Hill) 5-3 3-1 9 0.3

8 Cloudland (Roan Mountain) 8-0 3-0 7.4 -17.4

9 Coalfield 6-2 5-0 6.8 -8.3

10 Wayne County (Waynesboro) 5-3 2-1 4.5 -4

Nice job on contradicting yourself. You say Wayne County would thrash, Cloudland yet you turn around and make your own superficial poll with Cloudland ranked ahead of Wayne County. You just lost all credibility, not that you ever had any. :roflolk:

Nice job on contradicting yourself. You say Wayne County would thrash, Cloudland yet you turn around and make your own superficial poll with Cloudland ranked ahead of Wayne County. You just lost all credibility, not that you ever had any. :roflolk:

I don't think he created it himself, I think it's just a different poll, there's a bunch of them

Obviously you haven't around long enough to know how these things work. If SP loses they will fall to #4. 2 losses at #1 don't give these polls much popularity. It's a joke. If a team goes 5-5 and wins the championship then they are best in Tennessee according to the playoff method, but I guarantee you they won't be ranked. Most of the voters non coach voters have never seen most of the top 5 teams play.

No, I understand what you are saying.  I was just trying to introduce some logic to the polls - pretty stupid on my part.  Like you guys all keep saying, one team will be standing at the end.

Obviously you haven't around long enough to know how these things work. If SP loses they will fall to #4. 2 losses at #1 don't give these polls much popularity. It's a joke. If a team goes 5-5 and wins the championship then they are best in Tennessee according to the playoff method, but I guarantee you they won't be ranked. Most of the voters non coach voters have never seen most of the top 5 teams play.

There is no way to say, with any degree of accuracy , where any given high school ranks in relation to others in terms of how good it is or how challenging it is . Weekly polls give fans and players something to talk about or take some pride in but with a playoff system, ranking some teams is just putting lipstick on a pig.

There is no way to say, with any degree of accuracy , where any given high school ranks in relation to others in terms of how good it is or how challenging it is . Weekly polls give fans and players something to talk about or take some pride in but with a playoff system, ranking some teams is just putting lipstick on a pig.

I had rather our team to not ever get mentioned in these polls or talked up all year.

I had rather our team to not ever get mentioned in these polls or talked up all year.[/quote

I agree. It's only an opinion anyway. I would rather be silent and violent. Polls are just for the guys who don't know what is really going on. Each team must compete every week. The best team at playoff time brings home the Gold Ball. Some teams are sleepers and for one reason or another come together in the playoffs and shock the world. I would rather be that team than a high ranked team any season.

Edited by BigSwo

I had rather our team to not ever get mentioned in these polls or talked up all year.[/quote

I agree. It's only an opinion anyway. I would rather be silent and violent. Polls are just for the guys who don't know what is really going on. Each team must compete every week. The best team at playoff time brings home the Gold Ball. Some teams are sleepers and for one reason or another come together in the playoffs and shock the world. I would rather be that team than a high ranked team any season.

I will be honest, I don't think anybody around here gave UC a chance in 09 at WC and nobody gave WC a chance in 2011 at Huntingdon or Cookeville against SP and look what happened those two years.
Edited by wildcat89

I don't know what everyone else thought in 2012, but I said before playoffs that if Huntingdon beat one of us Perry County/Wayne County that they wouldn't beat the other. And I also said after we(Perry County) lost to Huntingdon, that if WC could contain Huntingdons speed around the corners that they would have no trouble winning. And what happened, y'all controlled their speed and won easily.

I don't know what everyone else thought in 2012, but I said before playoffs that if Huntingdon beat one of us Perry County/Wayne County that they wouldn't beat the other. And I also said after we(Perry County) lost to Huntingdon, that if WC could contain Huntingdons speed around the corners that they would have no trouble winning. And what happened, y'all controlled their speed and won easily.

Won easily? That's not the game I remember watching. I remember it being a one score game until very late and then something happened with a long pass play.

Won easily? That's not the game I remember watching. I remember it being a one score game until very late and then something happened with a long pass play.

your right, it was tough but the long pass play was only meant to be run once and it was going to be late in the game and WC scored on it. It was the same play that WC scored one of their td's on SP with. That play was run 6 times during the season and WC scored all six times on it.

The ones in the East that COULD give SP a run for their money are Cloudland, Greenback, and Coalfield.  All three are dangerous teams because they are not easy outs.  Cloudland's game with Hampton will be a real indicator of just how strong they are this year.  Greenback is very athletic and if their passing game and ground attack is on they can upset anyone.  Coalfield has the best line in Single A.....their game plan kept Oneida's Offense off the field for long stretches and is just the thing to wear out a good defense.  I'm not sure who is the most dangerous, but they all three have a legitimate chance of knocking off SP.  I think SP will only face one of them, but the one that makes it will have certainly earned the shot at the Pirates.

Kaz

your right, it was tough but the long pass play was only meant to be run once and it was going to be late in the game and WC scored on it. It was the same play that WC scored one of their td's on SP with. That play was run 6 times during the season and WC scored all six times on it.

Yep, MC, UC, PC, Huntingdon, and SP. What's the other? Also, Huntingdon only scored once. The kicker kept them in the game.