William Blount vs Bearden

Governm

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left at halftime and that was probably for the best because I would have probably gone onto the field and got in the refs face. I was listening to the game on the radio and apparently bearden was playing very dirty and trying to hurt our boys. Cupp specifically mentioned repetitive late hits and one of beardens lineman kicking our lineman when he was down. The refs apparently didn't throw flags on any of that and it p*ssed me off

pretty good.

91, I saw that too and also saw the players complaining to the refs but still nothing was done. There were some areas I saw improvement. We managed the clock well in the second half and still had 3 timeouts coming to the last 3 minutes of the game. No delay of game penalties and only used the "false snap" when needed and guess what, it worked a couple times. Also our boys had very few penalties themselves. Defensively, the first half was a disaster. In the second half we adjusted and kept Bearden from converting the 3rd and long, one of our problems all season. Offensively the blocking sucked for run plays. Otis barely had any holes and first hit was usually in the backfield, but most of the pass blocking was pretty good. We have a big strong line and should have been able to move any defense at will. Otis is about 5'10" and almost every lineman is a head taller than him. Our line is big. I have to believe the problem there is the blocking scheme or the line coach. We do have areas to improve on but also have foundation to build on. Coach Ridge is gonna have to make tough cuts if he wants to build a winning team. If no changes are made, I see next years results the same as this years.   

The 1st cut needs to be Ridge himself. A good dude, but doesn't have what it takes to be a good coach on this level.

I would have to give him at least 1-2 more years. Remember, he couldn't hire a whole new coaching staff as some in place were from Gregory's era. If he is allowed to make the changes that need to be made, I think this could be a good fit. Also, I know we only won 2 games but I think we lost 5 by a total of 24 (I think) points. My first year coaching I went 1-9, with experience and some good help my next year went 8-2. Needs more than 1 season (not even a year yet) before you put him on the hot seat.

Until the last 2 games I think the play calling absolutely sucked. Last week it seemed like we had found a good balance of runs and passes but clock management lost the game for us. This week the play clock was better than all year and the play calling was ok but could have been better in certain situations. The OC is either inexperienced or in way over his head. Also, I don't know if its the o-line coach or the blocking scheme but something there needs to be fixed. I also still wonder why we didn't run Otis in the wildcat or use Otis as a fullback on some plays to lead block for a tailback. They need to utilize the players in a better way. Our d-line is big and strong yet we couldn't get no pressure in the backfield and the linebackers and db's seemed to make more tackles than expected. Was it a technique issue or kids that learned it wrong and couldn't break bad habits?