HUGE FLAW WITH PLAYOFF FORMAT!

FridayMainEvent

Here I've got another one for you:

Team A got outscored by their district 284-118, and finished with a 2-4 district record. Team B only got outscored by their district 142-131 and finished with a 3-3 district record. Team B also beat Team A 42-6. And they are both in the same play-off classification... So you tell me, who is more deserving of the play-off spot? Team A, or Team B?

Team A got in, Team B did not.

Sounds a little bit like David Crockett and Daniel Boone...

You two are taking this waaaaaaayyyyy out of context. If you want a simple explination to how much of an injustice this play-off system is. Here. District 1AAA. Daniel Boone finished with a 3-3 district record, ahead of David Crockett, who finished with a 2-4 district record. Boone beat Crockett 42-6 last night. Its quite obvious who the better team is, right?? But Crockett is in, and Boone is not. Crocket got wins against 3 2A teams. While Boone played Sullivan South, Greeneville, and Elizabethton. Teams with a combined 28-2 record..

In conclusion, because they played inferior competition, Crockett, a inferior team to Boone, is in the play-offs, and Boone is not.

That's a good example of what I'm saying.   Granted like someone else said, in all likelihood Boone would of gotten waxed in the first round, but that's irrelevant.   The point is, a worse team was rewarded for "scheduling victories".  

The flip side of that is I've interviewed Coaches like Greg Wyant, Rodney Saulsberry, and Philip Shadowens who frequently have to go out of State just to round out their schedules.   No one in State wants to play the better programs BECAUSE of the way we have this system setup!  Reward Victories over weak competition and penalize schools for trying to schedule better competition in an effort to make their teams better.  Makes absolutely no sense!

The byes in Class A are due to the way they divide the classes, by total number instead of just by football schools. Since some in A don't have football that leaves fewer schools for the playoffs. It would be easy to just divide by football schools and have an equal number in all three regular season classes.

Actually you'd have 500 winners and 500 losers....LOL.....sorry, I couldn't resist... :ugeek:

I was hoping someone couldn't  :roflol:

Years and years ago, pre-compuserve, amber screen days - we talked college football in a message board called  rec dot sports dot football dot college 

We practiced trolling.    Saying things like Tony Rice was USC's best QB ever.      And love it when some newbie would jump in blasting how Tony Rice played at Notre Dame... 

Great way to see if people are reading - no one jumps in to agree - a lot of people want to jump in to correct a mistake :popcorneater:

The more people we can get to read this thread and get involved, perhaps we can get something changed  :hungry:

Edited by davidlimbaugh

"You're passionate but lack objectivity."

Not passionate and very objective.  :thumb:

And fair is some place where they judge the pigs  :roflol:

You still have not answered my specific questions.  Are you involved in politics?  :o

Question #1 -  How is it fair that a 6A, 4A or 2A school can be in a district with no other schools of the same classification, and not play a non-district game against a school of their classification, thus going (0-0) in their classification yet make their classification's post-season tournament.  I like my Cubs odds of making the post-season if they could play a AAA season each year.

Question #2 - How is it fair to other 6A, 4A or 2A schools that play all their games against teams of their same classification, and perhaps go (6-4) yet not make the post-season because the team above finishes with a better record?

Question #3 - How is it fair for a 1A, 3A or 5A school to be in a district with 2A, 4A or 6A schools so less chance of finishing first or second in their district compared to another district that has a majority of 1A, 3A or 5A schools?   So one 1A school could play 10 2A schools and another 1A school could play 10 1A schools -  how is that fair in deciding who should make the 1A post-season?

My background is 30+ years of running sporting events and leagues.  And whether being the commissioner of a 40+ team industrial softball league or being the tournament director of a 40+ team high school baseball tournament, I can tell you sports is all about fairness.  

The term I was taught at a young age is "LEVEL PLAYING FIELD".

One example is when the Industrial A softball team I coached lost in the first round of a 24 team double-elimination district tournament and fought our way to the losers-bracket finals only to get rained out, when the ASA rule book stated in case of rain out go with best over-all record and our team had more wins and one loss because we had to play more games in the losers bracket than the team we were supposed to face, the team that put us in the losers bracket in game one, and had less wins and one loss, and the top two teams go to the state tournament, I told the tournament director that the other team deserved to get second and to let them go.  My teammates agreed.     Because sports is 100% about fairness.....

Crickets...   :)

Edited by davidlimbaugh

Bottom line is the system we have now allows too many teams in, in the interests of things more than sports.

In my own case (and I may make some Bradley faithful mad with this statement) I would say a 5-5 Bradley team is not deserving of playoff contention, any more than any other 5-5 team. Frankly no .500 team ought to be in the playoffs, period.

Just don't be mad at the teams for playing under the rules. Get on the rule makers. They are the ones that need to get some common sense about things.