Dobyns Bennett vs Morristown East

orangeandwhite

Maryville = {DISCIPLINE} When Maryville gives you a gift to start the game,it is rare.Not to accept that gift and turn the ball right back was a killer out of the gate last year.Bottom line for most teams,even really good teams like DB had last year is you have to play mistake free football most of the time to beat Maryville.Sure,any number of teams has the talent each year to beat them,but the difference from each time I've seen them is every player gives everything they have and doesn't take ''plays off ''.You will see receivers blocking down field away from the play and little things that their whole team takes pride in.If you watch this Friday night { most any other team } you will see a kid here and there not giving his all.Making stupid mistakes is something they don't do a lot of either.I don't know the times that I've seen a game that a kid does something behind the play and cost a first down or touchdown.Several times over the years,those things have cost DB wins.A ref can call something on every play,but there is no need to make it easy.

LOL!  Someone seems to come out of the woodwork yearly over in the "model city" calling for Clark's head.  It was just Science Hill's time.  They were better this year and DB still made it close.  This DB team has played beyond their ability this season, in my humble opinion.  Clark has done a great deal with this team.  Where he really struggles is when he has a really good team, like last season.  I can understand being up in arms last season, but not this year when they are down so much.  Clark is a good coach and a great man.  I do wish he didn't try to be witty all the time with the media though.  Enough with the cute similes and metaphors about Mayberry and the like.  A great deal of people think it's tired and old.  :mellow:  

Aww puddin', don't set too much store in this guy's football knowledge...he named himself "Volsare1"

Talent only carries you to beating an opponent that you are much more talented than, after that it is doing the small things correctly and always being ready to play the next play. I have seen D-B multiple times since around 1996 I believe. Their fundamental flaw (this flaw is equal to all NET teams as I stated in an earlier post) is that the LOS is dominated by these more physical Knoxville area teams.

Example, the 09 Cyclones gave up no more than 14 pts/game through 13 games which included matchups against Science Hill, Greeneville, Asheville (NC), CAK, and Austin-East. I seen Alcoa come into Betsy and score 3 TDs in first quarter and they honestly could have broke the 50 pt barrier if they would have kept starters in. Elizabethton was a great team that year with eight 3 yr starters; they had one weakness overall and that was a GL type of defense. Partly because team strength was not at the level it should have been and the style of players on D up front. Their Sr NT # 58 was the most athletic NT I have ever seen in high school and he had decent size. Alcoa's C, Coach Rankin's Sophomore son, had his way with him throughout. Alcoa lined up with 7 true OL (#s 50-79) and got in the stack I with the TE # 89 Tyler Wilson, I believe was his name, 2 time Mr. Football OL, and would motion him to a wing and they just ran straight at the Cyclones and moved them around all night. They used a formation advantage but regardless Elizabethton did not have an answer for their physicality on either side of the LOS.

State championship caliber football teams do these following things:

1. Have a high turnover differential number

2. Execute GL/Short Yardage plays

3. Have great yardage gain/resistance on 1st down

4. Keep the sticks moving/stopped on conversion downs

5. Special Teams will flip and pin the field position battle

6. Limit needless penalties (false start/jumping offsides due to snap cadence/not having 7 on the LOS, etc.)

7. Firing off the football at the LOS

8. Flying to the football from all defensive positions while holding the correct angle

9. Taking the correct steps and blocking correct halves of the body

10. Using eyes, hips, hands, and feet when tackling

11. Great communication between players especially pre-snap

12. The secondary stays disciplined and does not get out of position

13. The blockers continuously move their feet and they strike with hands

14. Defenders shed blocks quickly

15. QB makes appropriate reads in all phases (pre-snap, pass, and run)

I notice that these characteristics are harder to find from teams in NET vs the Knoxville area. Just based on observation and the number of games witnessed. Primarily with #'s 6 through 9, 11, and 14. I truly think that those 6 characteristics of difference is what separates the play of the teams in the 2 different areas. This is of course based on the high majority of teams in those 2 areas, NET and the Knoxville area, which I consider Knoxville area to consist of Knox, Blount, and Anderson counties.

Has DB has had it's problems in the playoffs for the last ten years,yes.However,look their overall record up against the Knoxville area schools in that time.The four or five years before that they made 3 trips to the semi's and came very close as well.DB has more then held their own.NO 6A has held their own against Maryville in this part of the state and not many anywhere in the state..............

Has DB has had it's problems in the playoffs for the last ten years,yes.However,look their overall record up against the Knoxville area schools in that time.The four or five years before that they made 3 trips to the semi's and came very close as well.DB has more then held their own.NO 6A has held their own against Maryville in this part of the state and not many anywhere in the state..............

Someone said Mo East had a week schedule. I would like for there fans to comment. Greenvilles week schedule doesn't seem to hurt them.

Maryville = {DISCIPLINE} When Maryville gives you a gift to start the game,it is rare.Not to accept that gift and turn the ball right back was a killer out of the gate last year.Bottom line for most teams,even really good teams like DB had last year is you have to play mistake free football most of the time to beat Maryville.Sure,any number of teams has the talent each year to beat them,but the difference from each time I've seen them is every player gives everything they have and doesn't take ''plays off ''.You will see receivers blocking down field away from the play and little things that their whole team takes pride in.If you watch this Friday night { most any other team } you will see a kid here and there not giving his all.Making stupid mistakes is something they don't do a lot of either.I don't know the times that I've seen a game that a kid does something behind the play and cost a first down or touchdown.Several times over the years,those things have cost DB wins.A ref can call something on every play,but there is no need to make it easy.

The band director ticked off the Rebels last year. I hope you all make it back to 825 Lawrence.

Someone said Mo East had a week schedule. I would like for there fans to comment. Greenvilles week schedule doesn't seem to hurt them.

Greeneville scheduled a solid non district schedule based on the opponent's tradition. For Mo East scheduling West Greene was to begin 1-0 and it was an easy hook based on Coach Hatcher and Case knowing each other; Coach Case is eager to build that program. William Blount had a very disappointing season based on the ability of the players. They found self-infliction to be their biggest problem; however, East was blowing that game open early until the QB Wallace broke his ring finger on throwing hand. Sevier Co is a great program and they uncharacteristically went in the tank against Maryville when the Red Rebels jumped on them quick. Knox Bearden went through a rebuilding year, but they were not disappointing. Cherokee was the second most improved team in the district behind Mo East from last season to present. Their 5-5 record is a little misleading based on their size and solid physical play. Mo West is in the same category as Bearden. Cocke Co and Seymour were weak. South-Doyle is very competitive with very good athleticism; their issue was players having to stay on the field and not much rest. Jefferson Co was very good in certain areas and very poor in others. Their inconsistency robbed them of the playoffs because they did have potential. That's a breakdown for Mo East's schedule this season thus far. I believe the matchups to watch are D-B's OL vs Mo East's DL and the decision making of both teams QB.

Thay iz sum vurry small footbawl fellers on hear inn my opinyun........

Batman DB iz rite abowt Mairvul playurs doin' tha littull thangs rite all tha time...If'un tha ain't bustin' hit all tha time...Thay will bee standin' beeside GQ watchin' sumbodee else bust hit.....

And SEC fighter sed a lot ov thangs eye uhgree wif......Me and Red Rebulls goes two church wif J.T. Rankin and he's one tuff feller and a even bettur young man.....Thait Alcouh O-line thait yeer wuz one ov tha best eye've sean.....Okelund's line thiz yeer iz vurry simmylar, if knott a littull biggur frum tha viddy-o eye've watched..... :popcorneater:

Indians finished this year about where I thought they would. I thought that 8-2 would be way overachieving and 6-4 was about where things would fall out. They played tough in all the games but were just a few plays from being as low as 3-7. Boone, TN High, and Farragut could have easily gone the other way. I think D-B is battle tested and if they are healthy they could easily pull off the upset here.