Playoff Bye (week 1) - Good or Bad?

NCSdad1962

The reason the playoffs last so long is because the TSSAA wants more money. Back in my day it was harder to make the playoffs. If you had an 8 and 2 season you could be out of the playoffs. If a team lost two district games there was a good chance you were sitting at home during the playoffs. However if you had a winning season you stood a good chance of getting invited tonplay in a bowl game. TheTSSAA saw the money they were losing to this bowl game concept and added a couple of rounds to the playoffs. TODAYw a team with a 2 and 8 record can make the playoffs and play in the first round while a team that wins the ditrict has a bye week. So I don't like the bye week. It can steal your momentum. I say take out those pathetic 1st round games and continue with the games that everybody wants to see. Go back to the bowl game scenario and let those teams who have a winning season but didn't make yhe playoffs play in those bowl games. It's just foolish to let a team that is under 500 play In a playoff game. Its all about the money

Agree on certain points but you can be under .500 and deserve to go...case in point is Boyd this year who has not lost to their own classification yet and won their district so they deserve to go...if it was based on final record our schedule would have been totally different and we would of been above .500, so its a hard call...but I will say the only way you should get in the playoffs with a losing record is to win your district!!

Edited by skydogg25

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree on certain points but you can be under .500 and deserve to go...case in point is Boyd this year who has not lost to their own classification yet and won their district so they deserve to go...if it was based on final record our schedule would have been totally different and we would of been above .500, so its a hard call...but I will say the only way you should get in the playoffs with a losing record is to win your district!!

No! No! No! No one under 500 deserves to go period. This ain't tee ball. Going to playoffs needs to be earned. We don't need to make teams and players "feel good". Win at least half your games or stay home.

So that must be code for you being close to a school thats in the playoffs that has a "under 500" record. Lol

He was talking about Boyd Buchanan, who finished 4-6 but won the district (there's only 4 football schools in the district). So they played 7 out of district games against pretty stiff competition. So to say they don't "deserve" to play in the playoffs when they were a automatic qualifier is a stretch.

Edited by rufus22

The best thing about a bye week is,you don't get anyone hurt. Alot of teams are banged up this time of year and just as sure as you play ,the chance of an injury is there. That can be a huge deal with small schools.

When I read other folks talking about all their injuries, I feel we have been amazingly lucky on the injury front.  Sure, guys are banged up, but stuff they can play through.  We lost one boy who could probably come back but he is concentrating on being healthy for BB season.  We are a little deeper this year at some skill positions than last year, but the lines (and LBs) could not afford to lose starters.