William Blount offseason thread

Governm

I still don't think you truly understand what a bad coach is.... In 2012 Gregory very nearly got us beat by Heritage. We were only leading 12-3 (i think) in the 2nd half and we were 4th and long inside our own 20 and gregory goes for it!!!! And a running play to beat all!!! Of course we turned the ball over on downs and heritage got the ball. Luckily heritage was heritage and failed to score but that play is the epitome of what WB fans had to see from 2009-2012. He insisted on running the ball almost every play when our running backs weren't very good. We had good athletes at WR but he refused to find ways to get the ball into their hands most of the time. His fricking bullheadedness cost us lots of games.

Edited by Governors91

Ok but I never saw the kind of nonsense I saw with gregory in any of those OR teams I saw during that time. If we had a smart coach during that time we would have been a very pass heavy team and not a smashmouth running team. During Gregory's reign we had a starting RB who looked to weigh maybe 145 pounds soaking wet and Gregory would send him right up the gut and the poor kid would get killed lots of times and end up fumbling the ball. Do you think that's a smart thing to do in 6A ball SS?

Ok but I never saw the kind of nonsense I saw with gregory in any of those OR teams I saw during that time. If we had a smart coach during that time we would have been a very pass heavy team and not a smashmouth running team. During Gregory's reign we had a starting RB who looked to weigh maybe 145 pounds soaking wet and Gregory would send him right up the gut and the poor kid would get killed lots of times and end up fumbling the ball. Do you think that's a smart thing to do in 6A ball SS?

Nope. The D-coordinator we had in 2005 left right after that season and we went downhill from there. His name was Rob Speas. No idea whatever happened to him, but he had a lot to do with the success of that 2005 team. I sometimes wonder what happened to that guy. Real good coach.

Nope. The D-coordinator we had in 2005 left right after that season and we went downhill from there. His name was Rob Speas. No idea whatever happened to him, but he had a lot to do with the success of that 2005 team. I sometimes wonder what happened to that guy. Real good coach.

Yea. There was one specific game where gregory's "coaching" really shined. Of course I'm talking about the 2011 game with jeff county. They kept running the exact same play and the RB would get stuffed and fumbled it almost every single time and several times it resulted in great field position for Jeff County. I believe that play resulted in 8 or more fumbles. And WB lost that game 28-7. It was inexcusable... And after the game gregory and the coaches threw the team under the bus and blamed the loss on them. It was Gregory's fault! You would think a coach would quit trying to run a play when it resulted in a fumble 2 or 3 times but apparently not. Edited by Governors91

Yea. There was one specific game where gregory's "coaching" really shined. They kept running the exact same play and the RB would get stuffed and fumbled it almost every single time and several times it resulted in great field position for Jeff County. I believe that play resulted in 8 or more fumbles. And WB lost that game 28-7. It was inexcusable... And after the game gregory and the coaches threw the team under the bus and blamed the loss on the team. It was Gregory's fault! You would think a coach would quit trying to run a play when it resulted in a fumble 2 or 3 times but apparently not.

Nevermind. I just looked Speas up and it looks like he is at Fulton now. Not sure if he is on the staff, but it says he is the principal there. Anybody know anything about Rob Speas? If he is on the staff then it shows how good he is/was for us because we went downhill when he left. And all of those decisions by Gregory sound genius to the umpteenth degree.