William Blount offseason thread

Governm

I'd like to hear Jake's take. I'm a poet and didn't know it.

WB looked good....I thought the defense had a lot of energy and were flying to the football....I have seen the offense look better, but they were moving it well.  With that said, the worst team on our schedule will be better than WV, so we need to keep it all in perspective and continue to work hard and improve every day.  At the end of the day, scrimmages are about work and getting better, not necessarily about the scoreboard.  It was good to see Bailey Short finally get a few balls thrown his way.

The one thing that concerns me on offense is the amount of balls being thrown to #11 when he is covered and sometimes doubled.....during these scrimmages, he has made several big plays on these balls, but teams in scrimmages are not game planning and preparing for things....in the season defenses will notice the tendency to throw to him even when covered and prepare for it.  I saw the same thing in scrimmages last year and everyone thought things were great and then we get in the season and did the same thing and ended up with our interceptions doubling our number of TD passes.  Coaches should be pointing this out to their QB, it would benefit them when the season gets here. 

Farragut will be alright this year, but Bearden will NOT. I hate to say I told you so, but I've said all along that the Bulldogs will struggle a great deal.

I agree that Farragut will be improved this year.....people that are looking at what Alcoa did to them in a scrimmage need to understand that Alcoa is just that good and would do that to a lot of teams.  However, even though I think Farragut will be improved, their record probably will not reveal it because of their brutal schedule.  Their schedule has to be one of the top 5 toughest in the state.

WB looked good....I thought the defense had a lot of energy and were flying to the football....I have seen the offense look better, but they were moving it well. With that said, the worst team on our schedule will be better than WV, so we need to keep it all in perspective and continue to work hard and improve every day. At the end of the day, scrimmages are about work and getting better, not necessarily about the scoreboard. It was good to see Bailey Short finally get a few balls thrown his way.

The one thing that concerns me on offense is the amount of balls being thrown to #11 when he is covered and sometimes doubled.....during these scrimmages, he has made several big plays on these balls, but teams in scrimmages are not game planning and preparing for things....in the season defenses will notice the tendency to throw to him even when covered and prepare for it. I saw the same thing in scrimmages last year and everyone thought things were great and then we get in the season and did the same thing and ended up with our interceptions doubling our number of TD passes. Coaches should be pointing this out to their QB, it would benefit them when the season gets here.

Well for what it's worth Joel Graham appears to be alot better this year and has better hands. I thought it was a great sign to see him catching balls in wet/rainy conditions yesterday. I agree that it could potentially be dangerous if they throw a jump ball to him in double or triple coverage if he can't catch it but all the signs so far seem to indicate that he will be able to make some huge plays for us this year. I don't care how good or bad WV is.. That one play where he leaped up in the air to get a pass, came down with it,and still ran all the way for a TD was very impressive and most receivers could not make that play even if they were playing a bad team. Our wide receivers as a whole look alot better this year. I even thought our slacker looked better yesterday. I'm really excited for the season. Edited by Governors91

Well for what it's worth Joel Graham appears to be alot better this year and has better hands. I thought it was a great sign to see him catching balls in wet/rainy conditions yesterday. I agree that it could potentially be dangerous if they throw a jump ball to him in double or triple coverage if he can't catch it but all the signs so far seem to indicate that he will be able to make some huge plays for us this year. I don't care how good or bad WV is.. That one play where he leaped up in the air to get a pass, came down with it,and still ran all the way for a TD was very impressive and most receivers could not make that play even if they were playing a bad team. Our wide receivers as a whole look alot better this year. I even thought our slacker looked better yesterday. I'm really excited for the season.

That's wonderful.....I sat and watched the same thing in last years scrimmages and watched it come to a screeching halt when the season started.  Sweet Science asked for my take, and that is my take.....WB has shown great improvement since the SD scrimmage, and are on the right track, but based on the quality of competition in these scrimmages and what I witnessed last year, this is one concern I have......

Looks like the Govs have won the district and we have yet to lace up a cleat! The Govs best pack a lunch as they have a better chance of seeing our Great Lord and Savior! 3-7 or 4-6 at best!

LOL!! I am hoping they make 5-5, but I am with Jake these 2 teams they have scrimmaged just aren't much to write home about. Glad to hear they have at least improved though.