Oak Ridge 2014

OR nole

And mostly from what I understand he skipped practices at Powell and got into it with the football coach a few times, but that's all hearsay from what I have read. When he was on the basketball team he skipped out for a prolonged period of time. It's not like the kid is an evil person and has committed any heinous acts. Who knows what is going on and has gone on in the kids life for him to do those things. It obviously would seem to me like he hasn't had a lot of good discipline in his home life and although it isn't right I can't say some of the things I would've done in my life if i hadn't of had good parents who gave me good direction. Not saying his parents are bad or whoever is in control of him, but it's awfully shallow of us that don't even know the kid to place any judgment of any kind on him whatsoever.

+1000 couldn't have said it better if some of these posters knew than I'm sure they would recant some of their harsh statements.

At least you don't talk smack about a 16 year old :thumb:

It's pretty sad or sick that anyone does. I honestly don't care where the kid goes, but wherever he goes he should be allowed a fresh start and if he screws it up, then it's on him. He's a kid, not an adult. He's a high school player, not an NFL player. There are too many "judges" posting on here, and I didn't realize there were so many "saints" around here!

Edited by catswild

+1000 couldn't have said it better if some of these posters knew than I'm sure they would recant some of their harsh statements.

I hope you can continue to be a good influence upon him as a family member. I don't know you or know what kind of relationship you have with him, but it sounds like you're a good person who truly cares about his future. All I ask is that whatever happens you continue to be because I for one am pretty sure he has been missing that a lot in his life. A kid with a good father figure doesn't do the things Darrel has done. And with all of that said it still sounds like he isn't that evil or bad of a person. Kudos to you for stepping up and trying to help the kid out when it sounds like a lot haven't in his life. Some kids just need more direction than others in their life and to be helped out more along the way, especially if they have never had that good strict father or mother for that matter to bring them up in a disciplined way.

Edited by SweetScience

It's pretty sad or sick that anyone does. I honestly don't care where the kid goes, but wherever he goes he should be allowed a fresh start and if he screws it up, then it's on him. He's a kid, not an adult. He's a high school player, not an NFL player. There are too "judges" posting on here, and I didn't realize there were so many "saints" around here!

Agree 100% Cats.

And to be honest I am sure Darrel isn't the only one on Powell's team or OR's team or whatever team for that matter who hasn't good discipline in their lives, but not everyone is the same. Some kids have more outlandish personalities than others, no one is the same. Sometimes the only father figure these kids have is the coach who they are playing for themselves. To me that should be one of if not the biggest parts of being a coach. Sports and football doesn't last a lifetime, but good direction and influence in a child's life certainly does that's why I think it's so important (and I know it would be hard for me) for a coach to be a patient, guiding individual in a kids life. Like some of you said earlier I would give him a strict regimen. If he breaks it that's on him, but the guidance shouldn't stop just because he isn't or won't be playing football if that happens.

Edited by SweetScience

And to be honest I am sure Darrel isn't the only one on Powell's team or OR's team or whatever team for that matter who hasn't good discipline in their lives, but not everyone is the same. Some kids have more outlandish personalities than others, no one is the same. Sometimes the only father figure these kids have is the coach who they are playing for themselves. To me that should be one of if not the biggest parts of being a coach. Sports and football doesn't last a lifetime, but good direction and influence in a child's life certainly does that's why I think it's so important (and I know it would be hard for me) for a coach to be a patient, guiding individual in a kids life. Like some of you said earlier I would give him a strict regimen. If he breaks it that's on him, but the guidance shouldn't stop just because he isn't or won't be playing football if that happens.

You are right SS

I hope you can continue to be a good influence upon him as a family member. I don't know you or know what kind of relationship you have with him, but it sounds like you're a good person who truly cares about his future. All I ask is that whatever happens you continue to be because I for one am pretty sure he has been missing that a lot in his life. A kid with a good father figure doesn't do the things Darrel has done. And with all of that said it still sounds like he isn't that evil or bad of a person. Kudos to you for stepping up and trying to help the kid out when it sounds like a lot haven't in his life. Some kids just need more direction than others in their life and to be helped out more along the way, especially if they have never had that good strict father or mother for that matter to bring them up in a disciplined way.

I appreciate that and I can not talk to darel as often as I would like because I do not live in knoxville. That lack of a father figure shows in his the way he conducts himself at times. I try to show him the right way but not being in the house with him I can only do so much. I really like how you and cats cast no stones. He has to realize that he will be held to higher standards than everyone else. Darel is not the only one to get kicked off Powell the last couple seasons yet his is the only one talked about. I hope he can continue his football career at OR... Or anywhere for that matter. Good luck this season SS