District 4 A

gobeywarrior

Yes, it is looking like the Dogs will not be as strong as I thought relative to the other teams in the district. Also did not realize that Coalfield would be that strong this year, so it sounds like it may be a two team race (Jellico and Oneida w/ their whiner of a coach), and then everybody else fighting for a region spot. It should be interesting.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dogs played jellico tough for 3 quarters the last quarter they couldnt hit anything and they shot 4 of 18 from the free throw line i think layne will fix there shooting troubles and i think they get at least a 4th place finish at the end of the season and a region berth but bowing out early in regions jellico is looking strong so is oliver springs and oneida ;coalfield doesnt have many games so its hard to tell about them but the district from top to bottom is still very close anyones to win and anyones to lose!

I've seen Oakdale multiple times this year, and they are definitely a contender for the district championship. An outside chance, but I think they have the talent and coaching. Coach Nelson now has a year under his belt, and that has made a HUGE difference. They still struggle with help defense, so good point guards give them fits (Phillps from Monterey & Bolin from Jellico both had great games against the Eagles). Haven't seen any other district teams live, but I keep up with them closely. Colyer Hicks is the sleeping giant for Oakdale.

Right now I have it:

1. Jellico

2. Oneida

3. Oakdale

4. Oliver Springs

5. Coalfield

6. Wartburg

7. Sunbright

Remember this is VERY EARLY in the season, I'm sure this will change a lot in the coming weeks.

Now that all teams have their football players back, and things are pretty much in full swing, the district looks like it is taking shape.

1) Jellico (Seems to be the clear favorite right now)

2) Oneida (Beat Oakdale, and could upend Jellico)

3) Coalfield (played Grace pretty tough)

4) Oakdale

4) Wartburg

6) Oliver Springs

7) Sunbright

Oneida is going to be sneaky good.  They have filled a void in the middle with the addition of Newport (first year of basketball, but good size 6'5")  The best player in the district is Cole West because he can score from anywhere.  He popped 34 on Wartburg last night and he didn't look too spent afterwards.  I will say this, no team will lose as much as Oneida would if he were injured.  Nice to hear Jellico is the frontrunner, because our kids play better when they are trying to get to the top instead of being put there.  I anticipate everyone might stub their toe a bit in this district because there are several teams out there that are pretty solid.  Oakdale had their moments the other night, but they couldn't close the gap.  Oneida gets Jellico Jan. 7th at home and that should be quite a game.  Play Sunbright twice before that, but should be able to get by them with the players they lost.  Oneida is about 7 or 8 deep so I wouldn't think getting to their bench is a big factor.  They played a lot last night without Newport in the middle (fouls) and they still got the road win.  Exciting road for everyone.

Kazanity

Oneida did look really good last night, but I thought the dogs played very good as well.  Did I see right that Coalfield beat Scott Co, who beat Jellico?  Coalfield might be a sleeper this year as well.  Heard as well that Oakdale beat OS pretty soundly last night as well.  Yes, this could be a real toss up come tournament time.  Who will be HOT then?!?!?!

Well...unfortunately  I proved to be somewhat of a prophet.  Oneida's West (Cole) is going to miss several games over the holidays with a foot injury.  It appears they will get him back before the meat of the district starts.  The boys managed to get by a pesky Sunbright team last night and the feeling is the team is just learning how to function well enough util he returns.  Jellico's boys got upset last night by OS and that gives the Indians a game up on them, we'll see how big that game looms in the final district standings.  Newport (Oneida Center) is still learning on the fly but his inside presence is going to cause some teams fits.  I think he had 5 or six blocked shots last night and probably changed 2 or 3 others.  The experience and youth of this Oneida team has been working pretty well.

Kaz 

Well...unfortunately  I proved to be somewhat of a prophet.  Oneida's West (Cole) is going to miss several games over the holidays with a foot injury.  It appears they will get him back before the meat of the district starts.  The boys managed to get by a pesky Sunbright team last night and the feeling is the team is just learning how to function well enough util he returns.  Jellico's boys got upset last night by OS and that gives the Indians a game up on them, we'll see how big that game looms in the final district standings.  Newport (Oneida Center) is still learning on the fly but his inside presence is going to cause some teams fits.  I think he had 5 or six blocked shots last night and probably changed 2 or 3 others.  The experience and youth of this Oneida team has been working pretty well.

Kaz 

We play you guys soon Kaz, I wish you were at full strength. Should be a fun game anyway.

Won't til after the holidays....that about 28 points per game we'll be missing.  Still, they probably get some other players some looks.  Won't get him out of the walking boot for a couple of weeks I think.  Wish we had all th bulets too, but we'll fire what we got.....! :thumb:

Kazzzassor

He's deffinately a BALLER. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Pre Christmas Rankings.....

1 Oneida 3-0   I hear they will be without their best player for a little while.  Can they stay on top in his absence?

2 Jellico  3-1    They showed they are beatable in loss at OS.  They responded with a win at Coalfield.

3 Oakdale 2-2   Big win at OS, they are on a roll right now.

3 Oliver Springs 1-1  Just when we thought they were down, they pull off a big win against Jellico.

3 Coalfield 1-1    Finally got monkey off back vs Wartburg and nearly got Jellico too.

6 Wartburg  1-3  Are in a little hole with 3 losses in district, but still plenty of time to make up ground.

7 Sunbright 0-3  Like Wartburg, its still early.  But this maybe a rebuilding year for the Tigers.

One final thought....it is WIDE open and it will be a fun year!  Be ready to play every night!

Edited by Cookevegas3