Ricky Bowers Ejected

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

This thread and related others have attracted a perhaps unprecedented number of "haters" to the D2 site.  Continuing to respond to them is futile.  They are what they are and shall remain - prejudiced, ignorant and uninformed.  Just ignore them.

i think the issue here is what it says to the rest of the state. He and his assistant did f bomb and bump the ref's. He was rightfully tossed from the game with .02 left. (even tho they decided to run that off, given the situation) rather than take responsibility for his actions (and possibly give that lesson for his team/school) he got the big bad lawyers to threaten an organization that doesn't have the financial backing to fight it. So they just gave in. 

It just comes across as arrogant in a way that " I can do whatever I want and you can't do anything about it because I've got the money and the power"

BTW, If I were an official, I would refuse to ref any of his games in the future. 

but that's why the "haters" are showing up

Huh?  "Private school ran [sic]"?  Do you realize that there is no private school representation on the Board of Control...that the TSSAA relegates the DII title games to the worst days/time slots of the week...that the multiplier the TSSAA assigns to Division I private schools is one of the most penal in the country?  The TSSAA is the farthest thing from pro-private school. It's not even debatable.

After the change that privates can't be moved up 2 classes...not so penal anymore.

Scenario: Official raises the ball and declares game over. Coach of losing team (who feels like officials called a poor game) chases the officials as they leave the field and tells them that they are terrible, maybe fans do the same. Are there no consequences? This decision opens up a can of worms.

i think the issue here is what it says to the rest of the state. He and his assistant did f bomb and bump the ref's. He was rightfully tossed from the game with .02 left. (even tho they decided to run that off, given the situation) rather than take responsibility for his actions (and possibly give that lesson for his team/school) he got the big bad lawyers to threaten an organization that doesn't have the financial backing to fight it. So they just gave in. 

It just comes across as arrogant in a way that " I can do whatever I want and you can't do anything about it because I've got the money and the power"

BTW, If I were an official, I would refuse to ref any of his games in the future. 

but that's why the "haters" are showing up

First of all, let me say I am NOT a fan of Ricky Bowers.  Far from it.  But I believe in treating everybody fairly..

You have no idea what you are talking about as do most of your ilk.  Everything you stated as if it were fact is conjecture on your part.  You obviously have not watched any of the videos.  At this point, it serves no purpose to try to enlighten you.  You simply need to crawl back under that rock from whence you came. 

Edited by owlbooster
  • Upvote 1

First of all, let me say I am NOT a fan of Ricky Bowers.  Far from it.  But I believe in treating everybody fairly..

You have no idea what you are talking about as do most of your ilk.  Everything you stated as if it were fact is conjecture on your part.  You obviously have not watched any of the videos.  At this point, it serves no purpose to try to enlighten you.  You simply need to crawl back under that rock from whence you came. 

easy Francis......I agree with everyone else that the video's only show the tail end of the confrontation.   

I do know the facts tho. 

Scenario: Official raises the ball and declares game over. Coach of losing team (who feels like officials called a poor game) chases the officials as they leave the field and tells them that they are terrible, maybe fans do the same. Are there no consequences? This decision opens up a can of worms.

Not really...officials still retain the right (responsibility) to file an unusual incident report for anything untoward that happens after the conclusion of the game. The rulebook contains a "caseplay" addressing a similar situation (a fight immediately after the conclusion of the game). This raises an interesting point: the association could have granted the EHS appeal that states in substance that the game was over and the official lacked the authority to eject anyone, but still suspended coaches based on conduct after the game. That they did not is somewhat telling.

Not really...officials still retain the right (responsibility) to file an unusual incident report for anything untoward that happens after the conclusion of the game. The rulebook contains a "caseplay" addressing a similar situation (a fight immediately after the conclusion of the game). This raises an interesting point: the association could have granted the EHS appeal that states in substance that the game was over and the official lacked the authority to eject anyone, but still suspended coaches based on conduct after the game. That they did not is somewhat telling.

Based on what I saw in the Fox News clip, from what I saw at the game, and from what the players told me - nothing happened after the game was officially called that would lead to an ejection.  Considering this - I think that your point is off base.  "That they did not is somewhat telling." is not meaningful since nothing happened after the game was called.

Based on what I saw in the Fox News clip, from what I saw at the game, and from what the players told me - nothing happened after the game was officially called that would lead to an ejection.  Considering this - I think that your point is off base.  "That they did not is somewhat telling." is not meaningful since nothing happened after the game was called.

What's telling is that the TSSAA has disregarded an official's account of an incident in toto. That's significant.

Edited by KWoodroof

What's telling is that the TSSAA has disregarded an official's account of an incident in toto. That's telling.

I agree with you on this. TSSAA has disregarded an officials account of an incident "in toto" because it is inconsistent with the video footage and the accounts of the witnesses that saw it all. Telling in the sense that the TSSAA actually did the right.  Good for the TSSAA.

I agree with you on this. TSSAA has disregarded an officials account of an incident "in toto" because it is inconsistent with the video footage and the accounts of the witnesses that saw it all. Telling in the sense that the TSSAA actually did the right.  Good for the TSSAA.

Here's what's ridiculous, however. In this morning's Tennessean, Bernard Childress basically said that he wished the TSSAA could have UPHELD the insane decisions made by the referee, but since the TSSAA doesn't have language in its rules to supersede NFHS guidelines, they were forced to let Bowers and Wade coach. This tells us two things: 1) Ensworth probably had legal representation that put to Childress quite clearly the reality that the TSSAA was facing a situation it could not win if taken into the courtroom; and 2) Childress still doesn't have the courage to use common sense in a leadership position. He wants to be able to hide behind a policy. That's sad, but it makes sense coming from someone who was a public school administrator.

What kind of leader (I'm referencing you, Bernard Childress) actually WANTS to have his hands tied when a referee basically fails his obligations and imposes an injustice on a member school?

I think Childress's expressed sentiments show clearly that indpendent schools would be better off leaving TSSAA and forming their own organization. Other states have done this to excellent effect.

• Upvote 1

Here's what's ridiculous, however. In this morning's Tennessean, Bernard Childress basically said that he wished the TSSAA could have UPHELD the insane decisions made by the referee, but since the TSSAA doesn't have language in its rules to supersede NFHS guidelines, they were forced to let Bowers and Wade coach. This tells us two things: 1) Ensworth probably had legal representation that put to Childress quite clearly the reality that the TSSAA was facing a situation it could not win if taken into the courtroom; and 2) Childress still doesn't have the courage to use common sense in a leadership position. He wants to be able to hide behind a policy. That's sad, but it makes sense coming from someone who was a public school administrator.

What kind of leader (I'm referencing you, Bernard Childress) actually WANTS to have his hands tied when a referee basically fails his obligations and imposes an injustice on a member school?

I think Childress's expressed sentiments show clearly that indpendent schools would be better off leaving TSSAA and forming their own organization. Other states have done this to excellent effect.

In the words of Stars N Bars from the Maryville forums - "Gooder Point".  Having to have a policy to hide behind instead of making the correct decision is very poor leadership.  This coupled with the amount of funds accumulated by TSSAA from the members would lead most to say this has to change.