Alcoa v. CPA 3A Championship

coach77 seems to know everything.. since u do please tell us why cpa fans arent very active in this thread...dont be those fans that jump on here after u pull they upset and say "told ya.."

We are extremely proud of our team and all that they have accomplished this far.  Their record speaks for itself and we hope our boys win the championship on Friday.  I know our young men and coaches will give it everything they’ve got and I am expecting a very close game unlike many of the posters on here.  But the reason I think some CPA folks are not on Coach T this week is that those close to the program received an email from Coach Martin a couple of weeks ago after the Fairview game reminding us about who and what we represent at CPA and the responsiblity that goes along with that.  He was specificly asking us to remember these things not only in the competitive environments at the games but also at the water cooler at work and even in chat rooms and on message boards.  

The email graciously acknowledges that we (coaches, players, fans) will all fall short at times but to be relentless in our pursuit of our ideals of being a program that helps build young men of character that walk with Christ.  I know I was convicted when reading it because competition always brings out my competitive side and if I am not careful...I can be a real horses.... you get the picture.     

Only a handful of the guys on the field on Friday will play football after high school, but all of them will grow up to be men.  Most of them will also be fathers and husbands and leaders in their workplace, church and community.  With that backdrop in mind we've been challenged as a fanbase to remember that fact and to remember our goal of using our football program as a teaching vehicle for the young men on our team. 

In the bigger picture we also want to be a program known for building positive relationships with our neighbors that extends beyond the football field or any athletic field.  We want CPA to be the kind of school that if we suddenly went away from the competitive landscape that other schools and programs would say "we miss those guys.† Yes, we want a spirited rivalry, we want to compete hard, and we are playing to win, but we also want strong lasting positive relationships with the schools we play.  I realize we don't always execute that well but these are the ideals we strive to uphold.  It’s so easy on a message board to fail and say something you didn't mean and hurt the perception of CPA and of Christians in general.  Being a private school competing in Division I and a Christian school at that opens us up to enough criticism (some fair, much not fair) without us adding the need for more with poor behavior on Coach T.   

I think if you ask some of the schools we've played for the last 4-5 years like Whites Creek, Mapelwood, Pearl Cohn, Stratford, MLK (basketball), and others that they can give great testimony to the positive relationships they've built with folks at CPA.  We’re hoping to build those same positive relationships with the teams in our new district and with new rivalries forming with teams in the playoffs.  But I'm also not naïve and know that you can find fans at schools that feel differently about us if you ask around.  It's incredibly difficult to do all of these things well and to uphold our ideals in a competitive landscape.  But at the end of the day I know these are the things our coaches are trying their best to teach our impressionable young men to do and have asked our fans and parents to join them in doing so. 

That's probably more of an answer than you wanted but I think that is why some are backing off some of the natural ribbing that goes on during game week or at least trying to muzzle it a little.

Lastly, I realize putting this out for there for public consumption opens us up for more criticism.  I pray that people won't take this the wrong way or run a different direction with it.  We are certainly imperfect, fallen sinners that are in need of grace daily.  

We wish you guys the best and pray for an exciting injury free game on Friday. 

• Upvote 1

Before answering I should disclose that my opinion is that CPA should play D-II. Having said that my understanding is that CPA doesn't have the budget to provide athletic scholarships and currently has quite a bit of debt so I don't see that changing soon. Keep in mind that the Public Schools make the rules. The Public Schools put the 1.8 multiplier on the private school enrollment which is the highest multiplier in the nation. I think I should also point out that there is only 1 private school playing out of the 12 in the D-I championships so it is not like the privates are over represented.

All the players on the CPA team are paying their own way. No players are getting a free ride private education....and there are no other private schools within a reasonable travel area. Thanks for the info.

We are extremely proud of our team and all that they have accomplished this far. Their record speaks for itself and we hope our boys win the championship on Friday. I know our young men and coaches will give it everything they’ve got and I am expecting a very close game unlike many of the posters on here. But the reason I think some CPA folks are not on Coach T this week is that those close to the program received an email from Coach Martin a couple of weeks ago after the Fairview game reminding us about who and what we represent at CPA and the responsiblity that goes along with that. He was specificly asking us to remember these things not only in the competitive environments at the games but also at the water cooler at work and even in chat rooms and on message boards.

The email graciously acknowledges that we (coaches, players, fans) will all fall short at times but to be relentless in our pursuit of our ideals of being a program that helps build young men of character that walk with Christ. I know I was convicted when reading it because competition always brings out my competitive side and if I am not careful...I can be a real horses.... you get the picture.

Only a handful of the guys on the field on Friday will play football after high school, but all of them will grow up to be men. Most of them will also be fathers and husbands and leaders in their workplace, church and community. With that backdrop in mind we've been challenged as a fanbase to remember that fact and to remember our goal of using our football program as a teaching vehicle for the young men on our team.

In the bigger picture we also want to be a program known for building positive relationships with our neighbors that extends beyond the football field or any athletic field. We want CPA to be the kind of school that if we suddenly went away from the competitive landscape that other schools and programs would say "we miss those guys.†Yes, we want a spirited rivalry, we want to compete hard, and we are playing to win, but we also want strong lasting positive relationships with the schools we play. I realize we don't always execute that well but these are the ideals we strive to uphold. It’s so easy on a message board to fail and say something you didn't mean and hurt the perception of CPA and of Christians in general. Being a private school competing in Division I and a Christian school at that opens us up to enough criticism (some fair, much not fair) without us adding the need for more with poor behavior on Coach T.

I think if you ask some of the schools we've played for the last 4-5 years like Whites Creek, Mapelwood, Pearl Cohn, Stratford, MLK (basketball), and others that they can give great testimony to the positive relationships they've built with folks at CPA. We’re hoping to build those same positive relationships with the teams in our new district and with new rivalries forming with teams in the playoffs. But I'm also not naïve and know that you can find fans at schools that feel differently about us if you ask around. It's incredibly difficult to do all of these things well and to uphold our ideals in a competitive landscape. But at the end of the day I know these are the things our coaches are trying their best to teach our impressionable young men to do and have asked our fans and parents to join them in doing so.

That's probably more of an answer than you wanted but I think that is why some are backing off some of the natural ribbing that goes on during game week or at least trying to muzzle it a little.

Lastly, I realize putting this out for there for public consumption opens us up for more criticism. I pray that people won't take this the wrong way or run a different direction with it. We are certainly imperfect, fallen sinners that are in need of grace daily.

We wish you guys the best and pray for an exciting injury free game on Friday.

Darn Fairview hicks bring out the worst in everybody! I tell ya....... Edited by Jacketman89

Ha...thanks.  Thats kind of you to say.  Just for saying that I will throw in the book and DVD for FREE  :mrgreen:   My son hung up the old ball gear after the championship game (surgery, crutches & rehab...but all turned out well) and now he terrorizes UT intramural flag football newbies (he forgets he is not playing tackle anymore...ha).  Good luck to your Lions.  I've followed you guys from afar for the past 3-4 years.  Its good to see CPA get over the hump and get to make a trip to Cookeville. Soak it all up.  Alcoa will be a difficult game but you can't worry about that, just go play and see what happens. We got our noses rubbed in it for a VERY LONG time before we finally beat them.  They are the standard bearer for 3A for sure.  I know many of the "goons" from Alcoa and they are good guys that like to have fun during football season.  They are as good at what they do (poking the other team) as their team is on the field.   Good luck, play hard, play fair, have pride, stick together, show class....and you will have no regrets  :thumb:

GREAT POST!!