Ryan-Bishop Moeller Tourney

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Ryan is scheduled to head up to Ohio this weekend is inclement weather going to effect the itinerary? If the Irish do make the trip how does it look? I think it is a positive factor for this program to go up north to face such staunch competition, I know that CBHS normally goes to Kansas City for a tough tourney and Cleveland is/has gone to a tough North Carolina tourney to face rigid competition; but what other TN teams are climbing the steep proverbial mtn in terms of attending tough out of state tourneys, which garner national recognition?

Baylor will travel to Illinois to face #19 nationally ranked Marimon Academy and then compete in #2 ranked Oak Park River Forest tourney. Maybe other nationally ranked teams there, but not sure. They will also be at Cleveland Duals with #34 Archer as will other TN schools. Bradley has already faced them.

Archer is now ranked #23 by AWN.

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2013/12/awn-prep-40-high-school-team-rankings-december-4-2013/

To my knowledge, Cleveland, Bradley, Soddy, Baylor, McCallie, CBHS, and Father Ryan have traveled to and/or hosted events to seek tough out-of-state competition for the past several years now. And it shows year after year. I'm sure these teams would travel more if they weren't limited by the TSSAA.

Besides the tough in state tournaments these teams have hosted like the Cleveland Duals and the McCallie Invitational I know these teams mentioned have traveled to Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, and many more over the past few years. That's just off the top of my head.

I understand that the T$$AA has established a traveling doctrine that inhibits teams ability to travel up to a certain point, but forgive my ignorance what is the innate purpose of SUV a rule. If Ghouse, or some other authority that has more thorough knowledge of this travel rule: and the the background information for why such a Draconian measure is and ever was implemented I would be more than obliged!

I understand that the T$$AA has established a traveling doctrine that inhibits teams ability to travel up to a certain point, but forgive my ignorance what is the innate purpose of SUV a rule. If Ghouse, or some other authority that has more thorough knowledge of this travel rule: and the the background information for why such a Draconian measure is and ever was implemented I would be more than obliged!

In Hoc,

I know the rule all too well but I can not speak to the motivations behind putting the rule in place.  I could make my guesses but those would be no better then what most logical people could infer.  To know why it was put in place you would have to find someone within the TSSAA that was around when the rule was put in place and ask about the arguments for it.  I doubt that any written documentation such as meeting notes with the points argued are saved and if they are I am sure they aren't available to the public easily.

It is my understanding that the rule was put in place to keep teams from traveling such long distances where they miss school on both Thursday & Friday.  I would like to see the rule changed to allow any number of trips at any distance during the Christmas Holiday's & other times when school is not in session.  The TSSAA could allow one trip over X number of miles during the season when school is in session and when school is closed a team could travel as much as the budget would allow.  Tennessee needs to get back to the business of allowing the school district/principal/head master the ability to make decisions for their individual schools.  The TSSAA seems to want to play "BIG BROTHER" to everyone. 

I personally don't see the harm in missing a few days of school each year for extra-curricular activities. A few days should not be enough to make or break a student academically. With that being said, I don't see how this rule is an effective protective measure regarding attendance and academics. It hinders sports statewide more than it promotes academics. The majority of student athletes make the grades and understand that if they don't then they are ineligible for sports. The majority of coaches do a stand-up job of monitoring their athletes not only on the mat but in the classroom. Realistically, if this ban was lifted then I doubt there would be any direct affect on student athletes' GPA's and ACT/SAT scores. I suspect this is more of a "no team left behind" type rule.

Great insites by In Hoc, cbg and ghouse. Over the past 40 years it has been sometimes unusual to see commonsense applied to some of these old rules & delayed changes. Like how long did it take the TSSAA to eliminate carry tournaments? Seeing top 4 ranked wrestlers or teams stay home from state tournaments,etc As to motives, for years a smaller group of insiders with their own perspectives were actively involved, but now with the different divisions and many more teams building traditions around the state, I can see broadened influences to help grow our great sport to become more like Georgia's overall level