T$$AA Officials

champstrain1

I for one vote that T$$AA officials be given a raise and more recognition...after all they decide the outcome of more matches than the wrestlers. I'd like to see the yearly stats of Tennessee refs and annual championship awards for those who bested their peers by controlling the most matches throughout the season. Tally the annual result for missed calls, no calls, and wrong calls. These officials need to stand out for their accomplishments.

I did not see the match and therefore do not have an opinion about the officials in the Baylor vs McCallie match.  What I have heard from some very reliable sources it that at the last few NCAA Championships the officials were told before the tournament to swallow their whistles the last 20-30 seconds of a match and allow the wrestlers to decide the match.  The reasoning was that if the wrestlers were stalling they were probably stalling with 2 or 3 minutes in the match and should have been hit for stalling at that point.

• Upvote 1

It's hard to top the level of experience those in stripes had last night. The first three matches were nothing more than pummeling, which I felt may have been a unified effort to let the kids wrestle mostly to that decisive match, which easily could have gone OT with Hoodenpyle showing more effort as he is coached to do in TD situations. Atchley deserves credit as does Canada in avoiding extra bonus points. There's a major impact in the outcome of this fantastic match (criteria you g to Mccallie).

Let's not forget, Murphy may be back after a little knee surgery a few weeks ago. Norad missing may have been a factor as well.

Doesn't matter how much experience you have. You can do it for 20 years but if you do it wrong for 20 years it doesn't make you an expert. The biggest issue is that they are too lenient all season long just to show their inconsistency by calling it in big matches to decide the outcome. If you want to call it then set the standard by calling it in every match all season. The refs condition our wrestlers to believe that its ok to flee and stall in every position by allowing them to get away with it all season long. All this does is hurt our wrestlers especially when they wrestle in other states. Too many times I see wrestlers backing up for 5 minutes with no call, wrestling on the edge and fleeing for minutes at a time without a call, wrestlers laying on their bellies with elbows in for 4 minutes without a call, wrestlers riding a hip or ankle for 2 minutes solid with no calls, wrestlers pinned 3 or 4 times in one match without the referee ever getting into position to make a call. How do the refs decide when to call it? T$$AA officials have made a habit out of punishing the more active wrestler and rewarding the lazy defensive wrestler.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't matter how much experience you have. You can do it for 20 years but if you do it wrong for 20 years it doesn't make you an expert. The biggest issue is that they are too lenient all season long just to show their inconsistency by calling it in big matches to decide the outcome. If you want to call it then set the standard by calling it in every match all season. The refs condition our wrestlers to believe that its ok to flee and stall in every position by allowing them to get away with it all season long. All this does is hurt our wrestlers especially when they wrestle in other states. Too many times I see wrestlers backing up for 5 minutes with no call, wrestling on the edge and fleeing for minutes at a time without a call, wrestlers laying on their bellies with elbows in for 4 minutes without a call, wrestlers riding a hip or ankle for 2 minutes solid with no calls, wrestlers pinned 3 or 4 times in one match without the referee ever getting into position to make a call. How do the refs decide when to call it? T$$AA officials have made a habit out of punishing the more active wrestler and rewarding the lazy defensive wrestler.

Pay your money and get you a shirt and whistle, instead of attacking officials on a message board.

• Upvote 2

Great philosophy! Only referees should be allowed to expect other referees to do their job. That's like saying you shouldn't complain about politics unless you're a politician. Next time you complain about a restaurant server getting your order wrong put on the apron and serve your own darn food. The situation will never improve as long as its accepted and defended. There are currently no repercussions for inadequate biased officials and it has progressed from bad to worse over the years. Yet no one can address the issue without persecution and future prejudice.

Although the officiating in TN could always improve, it is much, MUCH better than Georgia - especially North Georgia.

I blame the lack of stalling calls in College. Riding time is destroying the action. I watched the Midland finals this year and was disgusted. The officials  seemed to encourage stalling. I believe it trickles down. I hope a change is made soon. Aren't we supposed to be trying to promote the sport? Nobody wants to watch that crap. I'm not impressed when someone can sit on an ankle for 2 minutes. If kids are in an ear to ear collar tie for more than 5 seconds a stalemate should be called. If it happens again the initiator should be warned. 

Wrestling should be about action and taking chances. That's what people want to see.

• 3 weeks later...

while the subject of getting robbed is out there...how bout 120 semi final match with cyree against fuller and tssaa ref david huffington...less than 2 seconds left in match...tied up 8-8...cyree makes up a 4 pt deficit in 3rd period and gets hit with stalling with less than 2 seconds while scrambling from a switch position?????? Fuller wins 9-8...and its listed as sudden death victory?? Never went to overtime... 

You always hurt for your children when they don't win. Our rule was that if they had left the match close enough for another human being to error and decide a match for them then they have to accept the result. Doesn't erase the pain you feel for them but the out come is not going to change. I saw Devin forfeited out to 6th, was he injured. One of the best wrestlers in the state, no doubt about it.