Mckenzie Arena or Cow palace?

fooseball96

I loved the state tournament in Chattanooga. I understand in Nashville it is more centrally located but the cow palace is terrible.

I loved the state tournament in Chattanooga. I understand in Nashville it is more centrally located but the cow palace is terrible.

shut up 119 lol    but the municipal auditorium does sound good it is just collecting dust bet they could get it for a dollar

There is nothing exciting about the cow palace. It would be better off with each division holding their own Tournament in a gym that would be packed and full of energy. The cow palace has easier parking and more seats but you cant see and its just a boring atmoshphere. What is the advantage of having all the divisons together?

Conversation at Fargo

Ohio kid “who you got next round?â€

Co kid “some kid from Tennessee?â€

Ohio kid “really? That’s a give meâ€

CO kid “I don’t know. I heard he is a state placer.â€
Ohio kid “state placer? What does that mean. I heard you can go winless at their qualifier and winless at the state and place

CO Kid “Yeah right.

Ohio kid “no, I’m serious. And you better take a shower right after your matchâ€

CO kid “what do you meanâ€

Ohio kid “Dude, they wrestle their state tournament in a barn on dirt. Cow crap on the ground and all. And there’s not even shower’s in the facilityâ€

CO kid “yeah right, now I’m know you're not being seriousâ€

Ohio kid “Dude, I swear, I’m not making this stuff up. They say they’re too poor to be able to afford anything else.
CO kid “What???? It’s their state tournament!â€
Ohio kid “ I know. And the fans like it because they can take in coolers to booze it up. You know, moonshine and all. Some of their coaches even wear overalls. I’m not making this stuff up! They say they like it because the parking is free. There’s only like 300 people that go watch, so it’s no big deal.â€

Let’s face it. I don’t want to take anything away from the kids. Every kid who made it through the season I have the utmost respect for. But our State Tournament is the joke of the United States.

Conversation at Fargo

Ohio kid “who you got next round?â€

Co kid “some kid from Tennessee?â€

Ohio kid “really? That’s a give meâ€

CO kid “I don’t know. I heard he is a state placer.â€

Ohio kid “state placer? What does that mean. I heard you can go winless at their qualifier and winless at the state and place

CO Kid “Yeah right.

Ohio kid “no, I’m serious. And you better take a shower right after your matchâ€

CO kid “what do you meanâ€

Ohio kid “Dude, they wrestle their state tournament in a barn on dirt. Cow crap on the ground and all. And there’s not even shower’s in the facilityâ€

CO kid “yeah right, now I’m know you're not being seriousâ€

Ohio kid “Dude, I swear, I’m not making this stuff up. They say they’re too poor to be able to afford anything else.

CO kid “What???? It’s their state tournament!â€

Ohio kid “ I know. And the fans like it because they can take in coolers to booze it up. You know, moonshine and all. Some of their coaches even wear overalls. I’m not making this stuff up! They say they like it because the parking is free. There’s only like 300 people that go watch, so it’s no big deal.â€

Let’s face it. I don’t want to take anything away from the kids. Every kid who made it through the season I have the utmost respect for. But our State Tournament is the joke of the United States.

And then Elijah techs the kid that round on his way to a National title.

The tournament isn't a joke. That's kids being kids and embellishing on one thing they heard. Would it be nice if our tournament was at Bridgestone or the Municiple? Of course. Do the coaches wear overalls and the fans drink moonshine in the stands while playing dueling banjos as each wrestlers entrance? Nope.

Tennessee is on it's way up, in the national scene. We're heading in the right direction. But let's base our states progress on the wrestling and not the venue of the state tourney.

The tournament isn't a joke. That's kids being kids and embellishing on one thing they heard. Would it be nice if our tournament was at Bridgestone or the Municiple? Of course. Do the coaches wear overalls and the fans drink moonshine in the stands while playing dueling banjos as each wrestlers entrance? Nope.

Tennessee is on it's way up, in the national scene. We're heading in the right direction. But let's base our states progress on the wrestling and not the venue of the state tourney.

I kinda like that.  I wish the kid would have said we didn't wear shoes either.......

I agree with you WrestlingGod. I'm simply making a point. Obviously the quality of wrestling is much more important than the venue. However the thread is about the venue. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is a coach in our state that doesn't think the venue can and needs to be improved. I'm not talking about location within the state. I'm talking about the venue. Someone on the thread said (paraphrasing)  'it won't be changed, deal with it'. Maybe it never wil be changed. But what would happen if ALL the coaches bonded together on this one issue to get something done? Just look what we accomplished with the Olympics. When everyone works together change happens. 

How ironic for the TSSAA to whine about skin disease and then hold their state tournament in a venue on dirt with no showers. Their excuse? Money.

Perception is everything and to the casual wrestling fan the TSSAA State Wrestling Championships are not where they want go if not watching a family member or close friend.  The TSSAA should make the tournament nothing less than a theatrical production.  The following could be done and it would be much better:

1.  Move the tournament to Municipal Auditorium.  The venue is much better than the cow palace and there is more excitement in downtown Nashville than being in the suburbs at the cow palace in Franklin.  The NCAA should seriously look at hosting the D1 Wrestling Championships at Bridgestone Arena.

2.  Have music playing during breaks and while the wrestlers are warming up

3.  Get a different country music star to sing the national anthem each session.

4.  Bring in Sandy Stevens to announce the tournament.  Several other states do this and even if you don't like her she does get the crowd excited and into the matches

5.  Bring back the parade of champions but please place one of the finalist at the front of the line and the other finalist at the back of the line.  Why take a chance with any type of confrontation or problems.  The NCAA does this for a reason.

6.  Start the finals at 7:00pm on a raised platform/stage while the wrestlers compete under a spotlight. 

• Upvote 2

Perception is everything and to the casual wrestling fan the TSSAA State Wrestling Championships are not where they want go if not watching a family member or close friend. The TSSAA should make the tournament nothing less than a theatrical production. The following could be done and it would be much better:

1. Move the tournament to Municipal Auditorium. The venue is much better than the cow palace and there is more excitement in downtown Nashville than being in the suburbs at the cow palace in Franklin. The NCAA should seriously look at hosting the D1 Wrestling Championships at Bridgestone Arena.

2. Have music playing during breaks and while the wrestlers are warming up

3. Get a different country music star to sing the national anthem each session.

4. Bring in Sandy Stevens to announce the tournament. Several other states do this and even if you don't like her she does get the crowd excited and into the matches

5. Bring back the parade of champions but please place one of the finalist at the front of the line and the other finalist at the back of the line. Why take a chance with any type of confrontation or problems. The NCAA does this for a reason.

6. Start the finals at 7:00pm on a raised platform/stage while the wrestlers compete under a spotlight.

I know we may not exactly get along, but you sir are a genius.

I once had a coach tell me, "if you look good you feel good, and if you feel good you play good" now this was my hs baseball coach but I think it holds true to wrestling as well (except we don't play wrestling)

I think whole heartedly if you elevate the venue, amp up the finals. Literally everything cbg said . Spotlight finals, on a platform, sandy announcing, even do entrences like the NCAA has started doing the last year. Nothing fancy, just play music, tell the kids stats as he walks down the ramp. Go to a tournament like that during the early rounds and tell me the kids don't wrestle harder, pour more into it, more emotion. When the stakes are higher the kids will work harder and the prize will be greater in the end. Make the tourney a big deal and our talent will grow in TN .

One thing I remember most besides the energy and excitement at the Big Mac and Roundhouse, is how the wrestlers could actually hear family members hollering their names & inspiring them. If you can scroll down a bit, you will see Michael vs McCallie and it's clear how intimately involved the crowd can get, especially if they're near the floor in the latter rounds. Not some 150' away.