Best teams not to win a state title.

QSouth89

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they did. Hearing Coach White talk about the state championship he was on, one would think Hoosiers  was indeed Hampton. The story he tells about some of them getting stuck in a revolving door in Nashville beacuse that was the first one they'd seen and didn't know how to get out/stop it is a classic!!!

Hampton had some of the best teams in the state in the 60's and 70's. But that was back when there was no classification. They lost some real heart breakers to much larger schools. When you played Hampton and Coach Van Huss.... you knew you were in for a real DAWG fight. Had some great teams in the 80's (runner up twice I believe) and a couple in the 90's. Not a lot of championships but without doubt a truly great basketball tradition.  

Another great Coach White story on the 1960 state championship was that they loved the all you can eat buffet in the hotel. He believed that was one of the reasons they won it. The food was so good that they didn't want to lose and go home and miss out on another buffet. Hampton's gym is named Vanhuss/White gymnasium for a reason. Two hall of fame coaches that really knew the game.

By the way, Hampton defeated Union City that year and nobody in the state of Tennessee gave Hampton a chance then either. Just like today... people say that the east can't compete with the west, it was no different then. 

Edited by dogtruth

The Bradley boys, with Hare and Pickel, ( class of 2004) had a record of 100 wins and 10 losses, including an Arby's Classic Championship over White Station. Three trips to state losing in finals and quarter finals to White Station. Best group to ever play in this area in recent history!

Really impressed with those teams. Pickell was in range when he entered the gym.

Farragut in '82-'83 went 36-1. The loss was to Nashville East, 72-70, in the state tournament at Memorial Gym. Great team to watch. Ranked 11th nationally.

Austin-East had some outstanding teams in the 80s winning state titles in '85 and '87. The Roadrunners were runners-up in '82 and '86 and throughout the decade had teams with size, athleticism, and toughness.

I remember that Farragut team. They had a 7' Center.

In 1981 which was my junior year. Farragut played Austin East in the region tournement at William Blount. AE won in overtime. One of the best games I ever saw. Maryville back in those days was awful. Farragut had that 7' Center. They also had a sharpshooter guard. He wore AE out. AE had some studs on that team. George Buckner who went to Ole Miss. Gerald Hyatt and Rob Jones who played at UT. 3 UT Football players were also playing on that team. Joey Clinkscale and the Mackenzie Twins.

I remember that Farragut team. They had a 7' Center.

In 1981 which was my junior year. Farragut played Austin East in the region tournement at William Blount. AE won in overtime. One of the best games I ever saw. Maryville back in those days was awful. Farragut had that 7' Center. They also had a sharpshooter guard. He wore AE out. AE had some studs on that team. George Buckner who went to Ole Miss. Gerald Hyatt and Rob Jones who played at UT. 3 UT Football players were also playing on that team. Joey Clinkscale and the Mackenzie Twins.

The center was Mike Carpenter. The guard was almost certainly Chuck Johnson, a JR that year.

Clinton had a great team in I think 98-99 or 97-98, not sure the year ,but it was one of those. Went 30-0 in the regular season, but lost unfortunately in the region, I think. Had the talent to go to state and make a lot of noise, but fell short. Jermaine Shepherd, Dedrick Dye, Torey Morris (sp?) Great team!

I was talking earlier tonight about the number of quality, wide-bodied big men around the area during those years. I couldn't produce the Oak Ridge center's name. He played alongside Lane during those years, of course. But as you mention there was also Morris at Clinton (who went on to Pitt), Brad Hillsher at Maryville (UT football), Tyson Clabo at Farragut (Wake Forest & the NFL), and in the sectional tournament some guy named Jason Witten from Elizabethton was added to the mix. All had really good skills to go with their bulk.

Edited by ErikG

I was talking earlier tonight about the number of quality, wide-bodied big men around the area during those years. I couldn't produce the Oak Ridge center's name. He played alongside Lane during those years, of course. But as you mention there was also Morris at Clinton (who went on to Pitt), Brad Hillsher at Maryville (UT football), Tyson Clabo at Farragut (Wake Forest & the NFL), and in the sectional tournament some guy named Jason Witten from Elizabethton was added to the mix. All had really good skills to go with their bulk.

I remember that big kid from Oak Ridge. He was a football commit to UNC.

The center was Mike Carpenter. The guard was almost certainly Chuck Johnson, a JR that year.

That is him. Chuck Johnson was the best player on the floor that night. He was a lot like Lee Humphrey. Where did Johnson play his college basketball at?

A play I remember from that game between Farragut and AE was Carpenter shooting a baseline jumpshot and Buckner swatting it into the seats.

2009 Humboldt Vikings, 39-0 & lost first & only game at the state quarter finals to Manassa on a last second shot from almost half court. Manasas went on to win the next two (2) games by an average of twenty-five (25) points including the title game. Humboldt was up in that game by fifteen (15) & lost, probably was the most depth/balance/Talented Humboldt team ever!

I was at that game..HEARTBREAKER!

That is him. Chuck Johnson was the best player on the floor that night. He was a lot like Lee Humphrey. Where did Johnson play his college basketball at?

A play I remember from that game between Farragut and AE was Carpenter shooting a baseline jumpshot and Buckner swatting it into the seats.

Carson-Newman