Update on moving the State Tournament

russianbear

I would strongly recommend the tournaments stay in Middle Tn. to alleviate any hardships on West Tn. and East Tn.  The ideal location with geographic area being decided would be M.T.S.U. which is the exact center of the State. T.S.S.A.A. already has it's Basketball Finals there and at one time the Football finals there. 

Josh Peck is right, Joe had very detailed plans on how it was going to work here and had counter points for concerns the TSSAA would have. The whole reason for the move was to get double elimination and it worked. The WCS schools have done well with the tournament and I can't thank coach Blair enough for all his hard work he put it and is still putting in. If it does move make sure you know who is going help run it because moving it to Nashville or the Boro or where ever, you will need to have those schools on board to help with workers and mats. My opinion, things are not nearly as bad as EVERYONE is making it out to be. Regardless I don't mind if it staying or goes, if it goes somewhere else, less work for WCS. The sky is not falling, TN is moving forward in a good direction. We would all love to see a combination of a UFC event and the NCAA tournament and that is going to be hard to do at this level and in this state at this time.

• Upvote 1

Josh Peck is right, Joe had very detailed plans on how it was going to work here and had counter points for concerns the TSSAA would have. The whole reason for the move was to get double elimination and it worked. The WCS schools have done well with the tournament and I can't thank coach Blair enough for all his hard work he put it and is still putting in. If it does move make sure you know who is going help run it because moving it to Nashville or the Boro or where ever, you will need to have those schools on board to help with workers and mats. My opinion, things are not nearly as bad as EVERYONE is making it out to be. Regardless I don't mind if it staying or goes, if it goes somewhere else, less work for WCS. The sky is not falling, TN is moving forward in a good direction. We would all love to see a combination of a UFC event and the NCAA tournament and that is going to be hard to do at this level and in this state at this time.

The people that operate the tournament are nice people and no doubt they have worked hard.  The problem is the "COW PALACE" is a horrible location for the tournament.

1.  Skin Disease issues with NO SHOWERS on site

2.  Poor lighting

3.  Atmosphere is bad due to fans being so far from the mat

None of these things can be fixed without moving from the "COW PALACE"

The people that operate the tournament are nice people and no doubt they have worked hard.  The problem is the "COW PALACE" is a horrible location for the tournament.

1.  Skin Disease issues with NO SHOWERS on site

2.  Poor lighting

3.  Atmosphere is bad due to fans being so far from the mat

None of these things can be fixed without moving from the "COW PALACE"

Those things will have little to no bearing on a new venue.

To those in a face to face with TSSAA,  I would refrain from calling it the Cow Palace.

That's what's wrong with this country, no one will stand up for change. Call it The Cow Palace. Surely it's not a gym. I few men should never control anything unless it is theirs. Put it anywhere, but there in THE COW PALACE!!!!!!

z,

I nominate you as spokesman for this demure group.  Russiabear wants to pack the meeting with TSSAA, perhaps there will be an open mic.

Getcha a sign that says NO MORE COWPALACE.  They'll put you front and center.

Standing up for change is easy.

Getting change is another matter.

I would strongly recommend the tournaments stay in Middle Tn. to alleviate any hardships on West Tn. and East Tn. The ideal location with geographic area being decided would be M.T.S.U. which is the exact center of the State. T.S.S.A.A. already has it's Basketball Finals there and at one time the Football finals there.

Ok, let's be realistic. Memphis brings the fewest fans by far. Chattanooga brings the most. Knoxville and East Tn are really growing . If it's in Nashville East Tn drives further, if it's in Chattanooga Memphis drives an extra two hours. Either way somebody is driving further. Put it in the best place period!!! It's about the kids experience and nothing else should matter

Those things will have little to no bearing on a new venue.

To those in a face to face with TSSAA,  I would refrain from calling it the Cow Palace.

The "SKIN DISEASE" issue would have a major bearing if you show up at a TSSAA meeting with a few dermatologist claiming that to aid in the prevention of skin disease wrestlers need the opportunity to shower immediately after a match. 

I was reading this thread to stay up on the status of all this discussion, but the thread itself seems to be spinning out of control.  Aside from the issue of showers and the pageantry surrounding the state finals (the latter of which could easily be altered and improved at the ag center), I for one have really enjoyed both events being held at the ag expo center, both as a coach and a fan of TN wrestling.  It's clearly not perfect, but it is well organized and set up in my opinion, runs smoothly, features a spacious floor that as we saw was able to accommodate 12 running mats, and the spread-out seating allows for fans to move pretty freely around to the area where their wrestlers are competing.  I actually thought Clarksville High did a great job with the duals for a number of years, but this current venue and system in my opinion is a vast improvement on top of that.  Anyways, this issue seems to be devolving into an open bashing of the TSSAA and the "cow barn", but I wanted to throw out there that not everyone in this state shares the same thoughts on the matter.  Just my opinion, but I've really enjoyed having the tournaments there and I hope they continue to be improved in their current location.

Maybe an option to showers is to offer Body Wipes, similar to the ones listed below, to the coaches/teams. Maybe even get the a company that manufactures the wipes as a corporate sponsor who would donate the product(s) or at least a "special" discount for the Teams/wrestlers.

Matguard Body Cleanse Sports Spray

Defense Soap   Defense Body Wipes

Athleti-Derm Body Wipes

The following statement is from a result of a study at a wrestling tournament in Minnesota.

Soap-and-water wipes seem to be more effective in reducing skin infections compared with the no-treatment group.

Just an idea.

Maybe an option to showers is to offer Body Wipes, similar to the ones listed below, to the coaches/teams. Maybe even get the a company that manufactures the wipes as a corporate sponsor who would donate the product(s) or at least a "special" discount for the Teams/wrestlers.

Matguard Body Cleanse Sports Spray

Defense Soap Defense Body Wipes

Athleti-Derm Body Wipes

The following statement is from a result of a study at a wrestling tournament in Minnesota.

Soap-and-water wipes seem to be more effective in reducing skin infections compared with the no-treatment group.

Just an idea.

I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't endorse these wipes as an alternative to showering all together.