Update on moving the State Tournament

russianbear

IMPORTANT WRESTLING DATES

Rules Meetings are held in September & October, the dates of which can be found on the TSSAA Website (www.tssaa.org).

First Practice Date .................................................... Oct. 27, 2014

First Contest Date .................................................... Nov. 17, 2014

Deadline to File Eligibility & Schedules .................... Nov. 17, 2014

DI Dual Regions (Must Be Completed By) ................Jan. 23, 2015

DI & DII State Dual Meets ................................... Jan. 30-21, 2015

DI Regions (Must Be Completed By) ......................... Feb. 7, 2015

DI State Championships ..................................... Feb. 12-14, 2015

DII State Championships .................................... Feb. 13-14, 2015

Dead Period ................................................ Jun. 21 – July 4, 2015

Something's wrong here. According to the regulations, the state is supposed to be on the third Saturday in February, which would be the 19th-21st, but tssaa.org is showing it as the 12th-14th....

Interesting. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it would be difficult to find a facility if you don't know when the event will take place.

Edited by russianbear

Municipal is fine size-wise, but there is very little parking and TSSAA would have no control over what parking IS available there. In other words, they could not charge for it. This would eliminate a large revenue stream from the event for them. As I said before, I do not think they will change it if they will lose money.

Municipal is fine size-wise, but there is very little parking and TSSAA would have no control over what parking IS available there. In other words, they could not charge for it. This would eliminate a large revenue stream from the event for them. As I said before, I do not think they will change it if they will lose money.

what is their take... 18% off parking?

Even if they went as TSSAA guidelines states, the Nash metro ctr is already booked with Teenmania’s Acquire the Fire on February 19-21, 2015.

If something could be done, I would love that venue one day. Perhaps shuttling could help.

Edited by Sommers

what is their take... 18% off parking? Even if they wanted as TSSAA relations states, the Nash metro ctr is already booked with Teenmania’s Acquire the Fire on February 19-21, 2015.

If something could be done, I would love that venue one day. Perhaps shuttling could help.

Their "take" was about 15 grand according to sources. That is not 18%. They get it ALL.

I am confident they are not going to go anywhere that they cannot control that aspect.

There is a reason Municipal Auditorium is called "Miserable Auditorium" by locals. It is dark, dingy, smells, horrible traffic flow through the area, and has no parking. This is a worse option than the Ag Center in Williamson County. But if you like honky tonks to drop in to between matches, Municipal is a great location. It could be fun (in a bad way) with a mix  of the already rabid (in a good way) wrestling fans and alcohol. 

There is a reason Municipal Auditorium is called "Miserable Auditorium" by locals. It is dark, dingy, smells, horrible traffic flow through the area, and has no parking. This is a worse option than the Ag Center in Williamson County. But if you like honky tonks to drop in to between matches, Municipal is a great location. It could be fun (in a bad way) with a mix  of the already rabid (in a good way) wrestling fans and alcohol. 

Not true.  Yes, it has some age on it but it had a partial renovation a few years ago.  It is a much better option than the Cow Palace on the outskirts of Franklin.  The TSSAA should book the Municipal Auditorium for the State Wrestling Tournament, Girls State Basketball Tournament & Boy's State Basketball Tournament.  If Municipal Auditorium is good enough for the OVC Basketball Championships it is good enough for the TSSAA State WrestlingTournament.   Downtown Nashville is not like it was 15,10 or even 5 years ago.  Nashville and the Downtown area has become a destination area. 

• Upvote 1

The Municipal Auditorium website states:

Banned Items

ATTENTION

FOR YOUR SAFETY, THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED INTO THE AUDITORIUM

• NO WEAPONS OF ANY KIND
  • NO CHAINS OR WALLET CHAINS
  • NO KNIVES OR SHARP ITEMS
  • NO FIREWORKS OR LASER POINTERS
  • NO BACKPACKS OR WAIST PACKS
  • NO CANS, BOTTLES OR OUTSIDE FOOD
  • NO AUDIO/VIDEO RECORDING DEVICES (emphasis added by me)
  • NO CAMERAS
  • NO STUDDED OR METALLIC BELTS

ITEMS CONFISCATED WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
ALL PATRONS ENTERING THE FACILITY ARE SUBJECT TO BEING SEARCHED.

While it's bad enough that no outside food is allowed, prohibiting video recorders may be a showstopper.  This may be "flexible" per event, but needs to be investigated if this location is being seriously considered.

Not true.  Yes, it has some age on it but it had a partial renovation a few years ago.  It is a much better option than the Cow Palace on the outskirts of Franklin.  The TSSAA should book the Municipal Auditorium for the State Wrestling Tournament, Girls State Basketball Tournament & Boy's State Basketball Tournament.  If Municipal Auditorium is good enough for the OVC Basketball Championships it is good enough for the TSSAA State WrestlingTournament.   Downtown Nashville is not like it was 15,10 or even 5 years ago.  Nashville and the Downtown area has become a destination area. 

Municipal is an outdated dump with horrible parking and traffic. Events that Municipal books are simply because Bridgestone is too expensive, too booked, too big, or Bridgestone management didn't want them there. Just because there are events in Municipal doesnt mean Municipal is a good facility. They are for Bridgestone rejects and overflow. Nashville is a great location, Municipal is not.