TSSAA issues response to botched call that cost Cleveland it season.

Ericblair

Everyone is blowing this WAYYYY out of proportion. The ref didn't wrongly eject anyone, didn't blow two quick technicals, or he didn't blow a rule. He made a judgement call. Right or wrong, it was a judgement call. And I've read people say he was wrong, but then some say he was right. So its not like he just made something up, looks like it could have gone either way. Its a shame someone's season had to end on a close call like that, but all this blaming the official is ridiculous.

They were probably from south central association, which is one of the worst ran associations in the state. They always have controversial calls/decisions and have attitudes about it.

The coaches always have public repercussions to ejections $250 fine and 2 game suspension. It is in the papers and on CoachT. The referees punishment is always in house, so the public never knows, i.e. your not calling games this week, hence their 2 game suspension! No one knows but them and the supervisor. TSSAA and the supervisors of officials are gutless on this because they won't even discuss a way to evaluate officials with the coaches. Also, this goes back to the coaches for not pushing this issue, they will get on her and complain about this call or that one but aren't a part of the solution. Coaches are evaluated during each game they are school employees. To me an official is an employee of those schools he/she is refereeing for, therefore they should be evaluated by the coaches, ad's, and administrators of those schools. Those evaluations should be tied into their ability to call tournament games, the better the evaluations the bigger the games they get to officiate. It is a simple yet profound problem I guess.

Yes South Central Association is just bad…Ray Moffitt and his bunch of father/son clowns.

Everyone is blowing this WAYYYY out of proportion. The ref didn't wrongly eject anyone, didn't blow two quick technicals, or he didn't blow a rule. He made a judgement call. Right or wrong, it was a judgement call. And I've read people say he was wrong, but then some say he was right. So its not like he just made something up, looks like it could have gone either way. Its a shame someone's season had to end on a close call like that, but all this blaming the official is ridiculous.

Only the 'homers' (6AAA fans) are saying it was even close to a foul. Every unbiased person has said it was a slip & fall. Oh... one guy said the video was fuzzy :)

they were from south central manchester/tullahoma area. and yes they are awful down there. we get screwed  and have for years every time we go down there. the upper cumberland refs are as a whole pretty good. everyone complaining from the cleveland/chattanooga area the refs aint much better down there. we have always gotten screwed down there over the years. they let them play rough down there. anyway, i think stone has the best team. something else to think about for you cleveland fans. they shouldn't have put themselves in that position. didn't they finish 3rd in the regular season. they finished 2nd in the district tourny in which walker beat them and then stone killed walker. i know they got hot tourny time and wasn't that good during the season but if they would have won the district tourny just like us they wouldn't have been in an elimination game.

That was a horrible call, it was definitely a travel.  Officials need to be held accountable and they are not.  Something has to be done.  I am sure they had other opportunities to win the game but to lose on that call is absolutely awful.  Officials are part time guys who often think they are there to be seen or decide games.  The best officials are those that you don't notice during the game.

TSSAA needs to do something

There is only one thing that can be found more consistently in Tennessee high school basketball than poor officiating: whining by parents of a losing team.

I haven't heard one CHS parent (or Cleveland fan) whine about it. Have you?

The CHS coach was just very emotional on the radio about how he felt the game was given to Stone by the refs & I was just wanting to see the video of the play. Now that I've seen it, I believe the coach was right.

Poor officiating, poor playing & poor coaching happens every night & will continue. It's just tough when a phantom call is made with 1.8 seconds when a player slips in an elimination game. I'm not a CHS fan. I just have a good mutual friend of the coach & have met him a few times. Great guy. Loves his players. I'm sure he knows it wasn't just about the call with 1.8 seconds, but it still came down to it.

As I stated in other thread, I'm not trying to take away anything from Stone. I think they probably would have won in OT. They won a tough District tourney. They dominated Walker Valley in Championship game with a great performance.

Good luck Stone Memorial!

That was a horrible call, it was definitely a travel.  Officials need to be held accountable and they are not.  Something has to be done.  I am sure they had other opportunities to win the game but to lose on that call is absolutely awful.  Officials are part time guys who often think they are there to be seen or decide games.  The best officials are those that you don't notice during the game.

TSSAA needs to do something

No dog in this fight, but that might be the worst call I have ever seen in a basketball game. I read the earlier posts in this thread. The film quality is fine. The only contact that could even remotely be said to occur happens after the player slips and is falling to the floor. The fact that this happened directly in front of the official who made the foul call (on the baseline) is atrocious. It's unbelievable when referees choose to display their incompetence at the most crucial moments.

Just my .02 worth,

First, the quality of the video isn't that good, so its very hard to tell. That being said, I wouldn't say it was a clear walk, and the possibility of that being a foul is there. I can't see if their feet got tangled up, but if they did, it would be a foul since the defensive player didn't have position. The trail ref WOULD have a better view of any contact in that particular situation.

It was a CLEAR travel.. But I'm used to bad calls in Tennessee.. Tssaa refs r horrible..

While calls can be missed and often it seems that too many are missed considering it is this late in the season and only the best crews should be officiating... Keep in mind that that is not the only call made in a game.  I've seen a few games this year and I can tell you that that game was officiated poorly.  But it was really bad AGAINST Stone most of the game.  In fact, if the game is officiated evenly... that call would not have mattered because the game would have already been over.  That is my honest opinion.  Regardless of the merits of that call which might should not have been called and a travel would not have been called either since the ball was loose... That call was one of the few questionable calls against CHS and most questionable calls seemed to favor them the whole game.  

I ran across the video highlights of Stone vs Cleveland. You can see the play around the 7:39 mark.

http://youtu.be/KV_fpXAsZJc

Horrible call but classy kids from Cleveland the fact that they waited for the other team to stop celebrating with other student to shake their hands after the game, knowing that they had heavy hearts and got robbed. You may have losses that game but you gained a random fan. Classy program well done Coach.