Cheatham County @ CPA: Class AA Sectional Battle

Congrats to CPA for playing an outstanding game tonight and advancing to try and win their 3rd straight state tournament. That is one heckuva team and it will take a monumental effort for someone to knock them off. Blackwell is one of the best high school players I have ever seen and Bonds was outstanding tonight as well. The Cubs needed CPA to have an off night and have everything go perfectly to win but neither happened tonight. Coach Maddux had a great plan and took Saunders out of the game by running multiple defenders at him every time he touched it. Don't have any delusions about it changing the outcome, but the quick fouls on Darden expedited the process for sure. Great season for the Cubs, who finish 25-2 with losses to a pair of state tournament squads. Cheatham's seniors have had a great run and brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. Thank you guys. Good luck to CPA in Murfreesboro. You have an outstanding team and were really impressive tonight.

Classy post. Congrats on a great season. I sat among the CubNation in my normal seat (superstitious) and enjoyed talking with them. What a great show of fan support from the CC faithful. CC's season did not prepare them for the pressure CPA puts on a team, and they came unglued quickly. CPA played well, but to be honest, Bonds missed 4 layups in the first half he doesn't ever miss or the lead would have been greater. Darden showed some skills but he doesn't play smart. The 2 charges he committed were just bad plays by him against a team that knows how to play defense. You can't get in a track meet with CPA, force shots, and expect to win the race. I felt CC was determined to show they had the players to play CPA's game and that simply is not the case. It's like an inferior boxer trying to win a match by taking punches hoping the puncher will get tired. That said, the athletic program at CC in all sports over the last few years has been impressive. Great players, coaches and fans.

Classy post. Congrats on a great season. I sat among the CubNation in my normal seat (superstitious) and enjoyed talking with them. What a great show of fan support from the CC faithful. CC's season did not prepare them for the pressure CPA puts on a team, and they came unglued quickly. CPA played well, but to be honest, Bonds missed 4 layups in the first half he doesn't ever miss or the lead would have been greater. Darden showed some skills but he doesn't play smart. The 2 charges he committed were just bad plays by him against a team that knows how to play defense. You can't get in a track meet with CPA, force shots, and expect to win the race. I felt CC was determined to show they had the players to play CPA's game and that simply is not the case. It's like an inferior boxer trying to win a match by taking punches hoping the puncher will get tired. That said, the athletic program at CC in all sports over the last few years has been impressive. Great players, coaches and fans.

Thanks Nerd and good luck to you guys @ MTSU. In response to Cheatham getting into a running game and another poster wondering why not go to a zone-I believe you have to do the things that made you successful to have a chance to win. Cheatham is at their best in an up-tempo full-court game and have played man to man defense 99% of the time this season. Last thing you want to do is not play to your strengths and do something different in a do or die game. If you change your style and get clobbered you will second guess yourself forever and I also don't think that sends a good message to your team. Yes, adjustments must be made based on your opponent and what they like to do, but CPA simply has superior talent and the Cubs went down trying to do what they have done all year. Really impressed with CPA's defensive scheme and they are so hard to guard because they have weapons all over the floor who can hurt you in multiple ways. Cheatham looked very tentative in their half court offense early in the game instead of attacking the rim with the exception of Douglas, who simply had one of those nights where the ball wouldn't go in the basket, and the Lions length and aggressiveness had a lot to do with that. Darden has been in foul trouble regularly this year and had to stay on the floor last night. Even though I didn't agree with 3 of the 4 fouls called against him, you are correct in that he had to adjust and stay on the floor but didn't. CPA is clearly the best team in the state in any classification imo and I don't think there is a team in Tn that would have beaten them in that venue last night. Cubs had a great season but just ran into a machine last night and I don't think there is anything Coach Stuart could have done to change the outcome. Best of luck to CPA next week.

You gotta love watching Maddux pumping his fist, crying to the refs, players throwing thier hands up & making faces at every call not going their way. All in the spirit of good christian sportsmanship.

Sour grapes lead to comments such as these. There is always one person that has to go there.  Had CC won the game, you would have kept your comments to yourself. I'm certain by your comments that you are indeed perfect. Have a nice time living up to that and judging others. I'm sure saying stuff like that makes you feel better about yourself.

Sour grapes lead to comments such as these. There is always one person that has to go there.  Had CC won the game, you would have kept your comments to yourself. I'm certain by your comments that you are indeed perfect. Have a nice time living up to that and judging others. I'm sure saying stuff like that makes you feel better about yourself.

bigb.....oldkodger's name must be appropriate. He never passes an opportunity to take a cheap shot at CPA. Must be sad to be that pessemistic and hateful.

Congrats to CPA on an awesome performance last night.  I'm sure many of you were certain that I wouldn't post today but I will totally admit it.  I WAS 100% WRONG ABOUT THIS ONE & ABOUT THE FACT THAT CPA IS HEAD & SHOULDERS ABOVE ANYONE ELSE!  Blackwell, Bonds, and Allsmiller out-performed Darden, Harlan, and Saunders (which I said wouldn't happen).  Good Luck to the CPA Lions on winning a third consecutive Class AA State Championship.  As mumbletypeg said......it is going to take a monumental effort for anyone to knock them off.  It doesn't matter if CPA plays privates, AA, or AAA.....they are the best team in the state hands down. 

Now that this has been said I appreciate sportsnerd's comment the athletic program at CC in all sports over the last few years has been impressive. Great players, coaches and fans.

During the 2012-2013 school year a 12-0 Cheatham County Cubs football team saw it's season ended in decisive fashion against CPA in the Quarterfinal Round of the TSSAA State Playoffs.  During the 2013-2014 school year a 25-1 Cheatham County Cubs basketball team saw it's dream season ended in decisive fashion against CPA in the State Sectionals of the TSSAA Basketball Tournament.  Those are the most successful seasons in each of those sports that have ever been experienced at CCCHS and in the end it just wasn't enough against CPA.  If there is a school in the state that can complain about the "public vs private" debate it has to be Cheatham County Central High School. 

The Cubs fans and supporters will not do anything of the kind.  They will tip their hats to CPA and wish them the best moving forward.  The fact that the sports programs at CCCHS are in a position to compete against CPA with so much at stake speaks volumes about the high level that the athletic department has competed at in recent years. 

Congrats to the Cheatham County Cubs on not only a great season but a great three-year run that will likely never be seen in these parts in a long time. I'll sum it up by saying that the boys basketball team at CCCHS has put together an overall record of 76-14 during the last three seasons. They've won three straight regular season district titles, two straight postseason district tournament championships, and also have a region tournament championship during that period of time as well. There were some "down" times that preceded the run but I hope that the people of Ashland City can truly realize how truly blessed they've been to see such a great product on the basketball court during this time. Chris Dawson, Josh Stuart, and now Aaron Nicholson have all done a great job deserve to be reminded of their efforts every single time anyone in the CCCHS community see them. For the final time this basketball season..........Go Cubs!

I second what nerd has to say about CC. Both the football and basketball teams have been very good over the last few years. The most impressive thing is that you rarely hear CC complain about what other schools have or do, instead they do the best with the talent on hand and it shows what hard work can accomplish. GOOD JOB CUBS!!!!!

Dad, don't use logic with the haters, it will just confuse them. I hope CPA brings home another gold ball, but it won't destroy my life if they don't. Folks, there are many other issues in this world more important than who wins a game.

This one actually did make me laugh, since the post is from a CPA supporter implying the inability to apply logic is only applicable to "haters", that one side is objective and would respond to logic/reason/facts, but the other is not.  Now that is funny, I mean really funny. 

You want some logic, some numbers based on fact?  Only a very small percentage of high school players actually move on to play any level of college basketball let alone D1 basketball.  It is actually about the same amount of college players who go on to play professionally.  When it comes to HS basketball, make your predictions on who has the most D1 players on the roster and you will be correct 99% of the time.  I said earlier if you have any real chance to beat CPA (besides slim to none), you better have at least 2 D1 players on the floor and one of them has to be able to match up with Blackwell.  If only 2, best the other is a perimeter, preferably the point guard.  Last team to beat CPA?  Team from KY, had a 6-7 Butler signee and a point guard Louisville signee, scored 80+ points on them in a close ball game. 

Other than that you better know how to control tempo on both ends of the floor (I don't care what strengths brought you to the dance) and hope for a Villanova over Georgetown kind of a night.  Don't kid yourself, it is all about the talent level.

Edited by kbrks

This one actually did make me laugh, since the post is from a CPA supporter implying the inability to apply logic is only applicable to "haters", that one side is objective and would respond to logic/reason/facts, but the other is not.  Now that is funny, I mean really funny. 

You want some logic, some numbers based on fact?  Only a very small percentage of high school players actually move on to play any level of college basketball let alone D1 basketball.  It is actually about the same amount of college players who go on to play professionally.  When it comes to HS basketball, make your predictions on who has the most D1 players on the roster and you will be correct 99% of the time.  I said earlier if you have any real chance to beat CPA (besides slim to none), you better have at least 2 D1 players on the floor and one of them has to be able to match up with Blackwell.  If only 2, best the other is a perimeter, preferably the point guard.  Last team to beat CPA?  Team from KY, had a 6-7 Butler signee and a point guard Louisville signee, scored 80+ points on them in a close ball game. 

Other than that you better know how to control tempo on both ends of the floor (I don't care what strengths brought you to the dance) and hope for a Villanova over Georgetown kind of a night.  Don't kid yourself, it is all about the talent level.

Maroon is not a CPA supporter. 

Save your breath BIG P. The guy you are addressing knows EVERYTHING. If you don't believe me just wait........

I know you might think that DAD1 because you have never been able to prove me wrong about anything which I assume is why you have to consistently resort to personal attack, but I really do not know everything.