Cheatham County @ CPA: Class AA Sectional Battle

I guess CPA can only play the teams they have scheduled, but let's face it, high school basketball in middle Tennessee (and Tennessee, for that matter) is way down this year. There are very few elite teams this year. There were no elite teams in Division II this year. As Nerd noted, CPA beat both Ensworth and BGA so - so they would have won Division II easily. Frankly, the second best private school team this year was Lighthouse - they would have won either Division II classes as well. Ensworth deserves kudos for winning their 4th straight title, but they had trouble beating home school teams and would have been smacked by the better AA teams in the region.

In my view, the best wins by CPA were the blowout of Mitchell (who should win A) and the close win over Brentwood. If CPA were in AAA this year, they and Brentwood would make the state tournament from the midstate region. How they would fare against White Station or Hamilton is anybody's guess.

In terms of Cheatham, they are a notch below Brentwood, but better than Kenwood (since they have played), BGA and Ensworth. All just one man's opinion of course.

I'm not sure but didn't CPA play the "Big Boy" D2 champion this year?

Dad, don't use logic with the haters, it will just confuse them. I hope CPA brings home another gold ball, but it won't destroy my life if they don't. Folks, there are many other issues in this world more important than who wins a game.

I'm very happy that this game will be televised.  These two teams (along with East Nashville) are the best in Class AA this year.  I mean no disrespect to Jackson South Side, Haywood, Ripley, etc. but this is a state championship type of game and deserves the attention.  I hope that the Cubs can knock the champs off of their mountain top tonight.  Go Cubs!

Include the blowout win over Oak Ridge among the best wins by CPA this year. Oak Ridge is a good AA team.

Oak Ridge AA huh...  Well someone better tell Dobyns Bennett this evening as OR is traveling to Kingsport either tonight or tomorrow in the AAA sectional... LOL

The key to tonight's game without question is the Darden/Blackwell Matchup... If Darden stays out of foul trouble in the first half I believe this game gets very interesting. 

Another lesser key is if the backslap by CPA in the 3/4 1-2-2 is called.  I have watched several games which CPA (as well as CCCHS) has played over the past few years and CPA is extremely tough in the half court set on offense, but they get a lot of easy baskets out of the sagging press.

CPA's starting five is slightly better than the Cubs 5... CPAs bench is definetly better than CCCHS...  That being said both teams rarely dip into the bench.

I like how CCCHS matches up with CPA across the starting line up, but if Darden gets two early forget about it 20+ pt game...  If he stays our of foul trouble it could come down to the last four minutes...

CCCHS, East Nash, and JSS are the only legit teams that have a chance against CPA.

CCCHS has no bench

East Nash has no answer for Blackwell

JSS doesn't have the shooters to make CPA play honest

Other really long shots:

Tyner has decent guard play, but not real shooters

Carter can put the ball in the basket, but will get ran

AA ball west of Jackson is way down so there you go

If anyone dethrones the defending 2X state champs I believe that CCCHS has the best shot from a match up stand point. 

Well... Good luck to the CUBS from CCCHS tonight...

I am a huge CPA fan, watch most games, but I called Cheatham Co the toughest team to beat all year. Anytime a small country school puts 5 talented basketball players on the court, they are going to be really good and disciplined. True basketball at its best. CpA will have to play well to win and hit their three point shots