District 12AAA predictions (Metro District)

HighLife

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a sense; recruiting has become part of High School football. Let's face it, in a world where Private schools openly pirate middle schools Public School Coaches must establish a recruiting-foot just to maintain their "zoned" athletes. The phrase "coach your own kids" does not apply anymore, because "your own kids" are open to everybody else, and if you want to coach them... you must defend/recruit them!

Not to mention that transfers like Vic Wharton, Gaulden, and Hurd have made teams suddenly competitive. If coaching is your job, why wouldn't you want to become suddenly competitive?

Hurd transferring to Beech didnt make them competitive. A great team maybe, but they would have still had a good chance to win a title in 2012. 

Hurd transferring to Beech didnt make them competitive. A great team maybe, but they would have still had a good chance to win a title in 2012. 

I agree that Beech would still have had a very good team; but without Hurd; they don't win 9AAA or the 5A title. He put them over the top.

I agree that Beech would still have had a very good team; but without Hurd; they don't win 9AAA or the 5A title. He put them over the top.

I completely agree. Hurd was the X factor everybody had to game plan for. Northeast beats them by 3 tds if Hurd is not playing. Jalen Reeves Maybin was a beast that year.

In a sense; recruiting has become part of High School football. Let's face it, in a world where Private schools openly pirate middle schools Public School Coaches must establish a recruiting-foot just to maintain their "zoned" athletes. The phrase "coach your own kids" does not apply anymore, because "your own kids" are open to everybody else, and if you want to coach them... you must defend/recruit them!

Not to mention that transfers like Vic Wharton, Gaulden, and Hurd have made teams suddenly competitive. If coaching is your job, why wouldn't you want to become suddenly competitive?

Right on Speedkills.  It just is kinda crazy how a kid could practice with one school and then immediately start working with another school and there be no address change.  Open Zone is just as bad as the privates.

12AAA is Hillsboros to lose and they WON'T.  Way too much talent on this team and good coaching to go along with it.  From reading posts and see information about Hillsboro, they might be the team out of Middle TN to go to state.  I doubt Henry County or West has as many BIG TIME college recruits as the Boros.  

So best coach is best recruiter? Recruiting should never be a part of high school football. Only recruiting should be in the halls of your own school or your feeder schools. Coaches should never first contact players out of zone for public and  privates should take students who seek their school. If parents want their kids to go somewhere other than their zoned public school,that is their option and they should be the ones making first contact with a school.  

Edited by runtheball

12AAA is Hillsboros to lose and they WON'T.  Way too much talent on this team and good coaching to go along with it.  From reading posts and see information about Hillsboro, they might be the team out of Middle TN to go to state.  I doubt Henry County or West has as many BIG TIME college recruits as the Boros.

Henry County won it last year with zero D1 recruits and 2 years before that with one D1 recruit in Jelks. Maryville has won a lot of championships with zero big time recruits and has beaten a lot of teams with the big time recruits. I saw Hillsboro in the spring and they are really good but having a lot of guys on Rivals does not guarantee you anything. Good luck to the Burros this year.

Henry County won it last year with zero D1 recruits and 2 years before that with one D1 recruit in Jelks. Maryville has won a lot of championships with zero big time recruits and has beaten a lot of teams with the big time recruits. I saw Hillsboro in the spring and they are really good but having a lot of guys on Rivals does not guarantee you anything. Good luck to the Burros this year.

I totally agree!!!

Mondo; you are right on. Maryville never seems to have D 1 recruits. look what happened to Oakland last year... they didn't make it past the qtrs. and they were loaded and predicted to be champs by many.

Hendersonville was picked to be 4th or 5th last year in 9AAA and they were in the championship game with Maryville. Not many D 1's in that game.

Mondo; you are right on. Maryville never seems to have D 1 recruits. look what happened to Oakland last year... they didn't make it past the qtrs. and they were loaded and predicted to be champs by many.

Hendersonville was picked to be 4th or 5th last year in 9AAA and they were in the championship game with Maryville. Not many D 1's in that game.

I understand the point your trying to get at (and your right, having a roster loaded with talent never guarantees a championship), but Oakland was still a pretty young team last season. Oakland also got beat by a Senior-dominated Blackman team. As great as talent is, give me a team that plays sound and has years of experience, which is what Maryville seems to have every year

No offense to Hendersonville (Bruce Hatfield gets the most out of his team almost every year), but they got hot in a Quad that had no team that was capable of winning a gold ball. Hopefully that part of the state will be better this season

I understand the point your trying to get at (and your right, having a roster loaded with talent never guarantees a championship), but Oakland was still a pretty young team last season. Oakland also got beat by a Senior-dominated Blackman team. As great as talent is, give me a team that plays sound and has years of experience, which is what Maryville seems to have every year

No offense to Hendersonville (Bruce Hatfield gets the most out of his team almost every year), but they got hot in a Quad that had no team that was capable of winning a gold ball. Hopefully that part of the state will be better this season

Mid Tenn, I agree with you. That is what makes Maryville so impressive. Amazing coaching and players that buy into what the program.