Coalfield Baseball

FridayMainEvent

Warning: memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to internal.memcached.coacht.net:11211, Connection refused (111) in /mnt/wwwroot/boards/ips_kernel/classCacheMemcache.php on line 90

I could be mistaken but that loks like Wartburg's field not Coalfield's. I think Wartburg was the home team. The TSSAA requires refs to exit the field from the winning teams side. had the umps done this it may have never happened.

There is no such rule.  However, common sense would tell you to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no dog in this fight. I'm in Middle Tennessee, and couldn't find either of the schools involved with a map, compass, and guide. I don't know any of the parties involved. But I am an official, and have a slightly different perspective from others. My thoughts and opinions aren't any better or more valid, so take them for what they're worth.

I officiate football, baseball, and ice hockey. For my money, baseball is infinitely more difficult than the other two. Fans disagree with calls in a football game, but usually there's enough of a crowd that one or two problem fans tend to get drowned out. Further, distance from the field, and the length of the field provide a buffer, both in terms of time and space. And security tends to be pretty good as well. Hockey is very similar: play moves away from the problem fans, and the mechanics of officiating mean that sometimes you're on the boards near the crowd, other times you're on the boards near the players. Plus, the construction of most rinks makes a lot of the complaining indiscernible noise.

Baseball is very different. The plate umpire is in the same place for the entire game. The base umpire is in one of three positions, all within the confines of the infield. I am a stationary target for the entire game. Most high school game crowds are small enough that you can hear individual hecklers. It's pretty much impossible to tune them out completely. And since the umpire makes a decision on almost every pitch, there are lots of opportunities for hecklers to make themselves known.

Engaging fans is always bad, unless there's some sort of actual danger (for example, throwing things onto the field). Yes, you know there'll be complaints and catcalls from the stands when you take the job. But over the years, as society has changed, it's become much worse. Not only is it much more prevalent and unrelenting, it's also much more personal and vicious. There was a time when hecklers were a little funny, even if you were the target (like the fan who suggested I poke a couple of holes in my mask). But mostly they're nasty and mean-spirited. It becomes wearing, aggravating, and frustrating.

Without passing any comment on the umpires involved in this incident, I certainly agree that officials should always conduct themselves in a professional manner. But a steady diet of abuse has an effect on anyone, even a professional. Especially if that abuse consists of repeated comments that would earn you broken jaw if you made them to a stranger in a bar, the aggravation compounded by the offender's smug reliance that he is safe because the official is expected to behave in a professional manner. Even the best and strongest people have breaking points. Again, I'm not addressing the umpire's conduct in this situation, nor do I condone unprofessional behavior. But I understand how it could happen.

Lastly, in the wake of this incident, we were reminded to leave the field together from the winning team's side.

• Upvote 2