AAA State Tournament (1977-2013) What will 2014 bring?

Borobaseball

This year's AAA State Tournament will be the 38th edition to decide the Championship since the three class system was put into place.  Here is a look at some numbers that I found interesting about the history of the AAA championship game and outlook on this years tournament.

34 schools have reached the championship game...Farragut has played in 13 of the 37 entering this year's tournament

23 schools have won the AAA championship...Farragut has won 8 championships for the most of any school

16 schools have reached multiple AAA championship games...Farragut, Houston, and Dobyns-Bennett in this year's tournament have accomplished the feat

Only 7 schools have won multiple AAA championships...Farragut(8)-Germantown(3)-Sullivan North(2)-McGavock(2)-Oakland(2)-Houston(2)-MBA(2, now in division II)

Only 7 schools have reached back to back AAA championship games...Farragut, Germantown, McGavock, Bartlett, Munford, Sullivan North, Oakland

Still only 2 schools have won back to back AAA championships...Oakland became the first team to do it in 1999-2000 and Farragut became the second school to do it in 2003-04, they then became the first to win three in a row from 2008-2010 and four in a row from 2008-2011

Will 2014's tournament deliver the 24th different school to win the championship?  Dobyns-Bennett, Riverdale, Cookeville, Brentwood, Ravenwood, and Dyer Co all looking for AAA title number one.  Farragut and Houston each looking to add another title

Can Dobyns-Bennett win it's first title after two runner-ups in the mid 90's?

My prediction is Final Four of Riverdale, Farragut, Houston, Dyer Co with Farragut and Houston in the championship game..if Riverdale can beat Farragut then I think Riverdale wins the title....Farragut was runner up last year, they also were in 1999, 2001, and 2002....last time they did that was in 2002....guess what they did in 2003?  They won

Farragut over Houston....Admirals continue to dominate AAA

This year's AAA State Tournament will be the 38th edition to decide the Championship since the three class system was put into place.  Here is a look at some numbers that I found interesting about the history of the AAA championship game and outlook on this years tournament.

34 schools have reached the championship game...Farragut has played in 13 of the 37 entering this year's tournament

23 schools have won the AAA championship...Farragut has won 8 championships for the most of any school

16 schools have reached multiple AAA championship games...Farragut, Houston, and Dobyns-Bennett in this year's tournament have accomplished the feat

Only 7 schools have won multiple AAA championships...Farragut(8)-Germantown(3)-Sullivan North(2)-McGavock(2)-Oakland(2)-Houston(2)-MBA(2, now in division II)

Only 7 schools have reached back to back AAA championship games...Farragut, Germantown, McGavock, Bartlett, Munford, Sullivan North, Oakland

Still only 2 schools have won back to back AAA championships...Oakland became the first team to do it in 1999-2000 and Farragut became the second school to do it in 2003-04, they then became the first to win three in a row from 2008-2010 and four in a row from 2008-2011

Will 2014's tournament deliver the 24th different school to win the championship?  Dobyns-Bennett, Riverdale, Cookeville, Brentwood, Ravenwood, and Dyer Co all looking for AAA title number one.  Farragut and Houston each looking to add another title

Can Dobyns-Bennett win it's first title after two runner-ups in the mid 90's?

My prediction is Final Four of Riverdale, Farragut, Houston, Dyer Co with Farragut and Houston in the championship game..if Riverdale can beat Farragut then I think Riverdale wins the title....Farragut was runner up last year, they also were in 1999, 2001, and 2002....last time they did that was in 2002....guess what they did in 2003?  They won

McGavock & Coach Mel Brown had a great run in the 70's and 80's. Champions in 1975, 1984 & 1986. Runner-up in 1976, 1985 & 1989. Made the finals in 1984, 1985 & 1986. McGavock lost the 1985 championship on a pitching protest. Edited by cbg

McGavock & Coach Mel Brown had a great run in the 70's and 80's. Champions in 1975, 1984 & 1986. Runner-up in 1976, 1985 & 1989. Made the finals in 1984, 1985 & 1986. McGavock lost the 1985 championship on a pitching protest.

Just curious, what was the pitching protest?

I believe Sullivan north protested that the pitcher from mcgavock threw too many innings, the mcgavock pitcher threw 6 inn the first day then came back and threw four more, as soon as he got two outs in the fifth inning the second day the north coach protested north was awarded the title 7-0 was the score by forfeit

I believe Sullivan north protested that the pitcher from mcgavock threw too many innings, the mcgavock pitcher threw 6 inn the first day then came back and threw four more, as soon as he got two outs in the fifth inning the second day the north coach protested north was awarded the title 7-0 was the score by forfeit

I remember the protest but I am not sure where the confusion took place. Was McGavock counting outs as innings and the TSSAA saying one pitch in an inning constitutes one full inning pitched? I remember reading that the game was delayed a long time (maybe 2+ hours) for the TSSAA to decide the winner because the TSSAA did not have a representative at the game. What was the score when the game was forfeited? It would be a terrible way to lose or win a state championship on a forfeit. Edited by cbg

McGavock was winning, I believe, 5-0. Larry Leaver was the pitcher in question. He had pitched 10 innings and when he threw the first pitch of what would be the 11th the protest was filed.

To this day, Coach Brown refers to that team as "state finalist" whereas the others who were beaten on the field he calls State Runners-up. It is on the banners at the school that way also.

The 84/85/86 teams were dominant.

McGavock was winning, I believe, 5-0. Larry Leaver was the pitcher in question. He had pitched 10 innings and when he threw the first pitch of what would be the 11th the protest was filed.

To this day, Coach Brown refers to that team as "state finalist" whereas the others who were beaten on the field he calls State Runners-up. It is on the banners at the school that way also.

The 84/85/86 teams were dominant.

wow, good thing the internet was still just a thought locked up in Al Gore's brain back then..coacht would have blown up!

Outstanding call!

Congratulations to the Admirals!