New players at CPA

Hater247

Coach Maddux has a a built in team, coming up from elementary school every year.  Technically he doesn't need to recruit. However, he chooses to NOT develop and work with those current students, talent, and non-talent, but kids who want to work.

His goal is clearly not to have a typical high school team, at a smaller sized Christian school. He wants to coach a Nationally ranked team, full of nationally ranked players that he can boast about on twitter. He has even formed his own "Drew Maddux Academy" online for coaching, and as a way to make $$.  It's entirely self serving. 

He has been parading his various AAU boys in school uniforms around since he arrived at CPA. The administration and parents have gotten so caught up in the hype, and excitement of winning, that they haven't even noticed their own kids and kids friends aren't playing.

Spot on

Since you are ignorant  (not trying to be negative) that quote is what people used to say about the great Bear Bryant. I would like to see him coach "normal" students", not all stars from all over the mid-state and now Iowa. I guess the next we will hear is some Mom from Germany asking about sending her 6' 7" son to the best basketball factory in Tn. I don't have any problem with parents sending their children to these factories but at least put them in their own division with the rest of the privates. 

Maddux is a good coach but we will never know how good he is because he will never coach normal players. Most schools will never in their history will have the talent level CPA has had the last four years. To me that just doesn't seem normal for a school so small to have that much talent.

I agree. It is not normal, but seems like JSS had quite a bit of talent last year. Guess they weren't "normal" players. Winning with talent doesn't mean he is not a good coach.  "We will never know how good he is because he will never coach "normal" (whatever that is) players".  And I am the one that is ignorant. You use a quote about a Hall of Fame D1 college football coach to make a point about a AA HS basketball coach in TN.. And I already said (read my post) that I get the public /private animosity. You are right about the talent the last 4 years at CPA. But you are saying he is not a good coach because he had talent. Dang, man, he won 4 district titles, 3 regional titles, 3 final 4's, and 2 Gold balls, and one of those teams started 4 freshmen. Not to mention 90+ games in a row in TN.. Could someone have done better? Maybe someone would have gone undefeated and you would admit they were a good coach. Tough standards.

I agree. It is not normal, but seems like JSS had quite a bit of talent last year. Guess they weren't "normal" players. Winning with talent doesn't mean he is not a good coach.  "We will never know how good he is because he will never coach "normal" (whatever that is) players".  And I am the one that is ignorant. You use a quote about a Hall of Fame D1 college football coach to make a point about a AA HS basketball coach in TN.. And I already said (read my post) that I get the public /private animosity. You are right about the talent the last 4 years at CPA. But you are saying he is not a good coach because he had talent. Dang, man, he won 4 district titles, 3 regional titles, 3 final 4's, and 2 Gold balls, and one of those teams started 4 freshmen. Not to mention 90+ games in a row in TN.. Could someone have done better? Maybe someone would have gone undefeated and you would admit they were a good coach. Tough standards.

I said he was a good coach! Dale Brown made it to the Final Four more than once yet I don't know anyone who says he was a good coach. He was a great recruiter and let his talent go. I would agree that not all great talent wins a championship (Goodpasture in A not winning with Drew, Sam, and Ron). It also is strange that CPA cancelled games against great opponents last year when they lost Jalen.

I said he was a good coach! Dale Brown made it to the Final Four more than once yet I don't know anyone who says he was a good coach. He was a great recruiter and let his talent go. I would agree that not all great talent wins a championship (Goodpasture in A not winning with Drew, Sam, and Ron). It also is strange that CPA cancelled games against great opponents last year when they lost Jalen.

CPA played the toughest schedule of any TN HS team in 2014. That's a fact. You didn't mention that Drew lost a Mr. Basketball before the season, had no new players join the team, and still made it t the semis and lost in the last 30 seconds to the state champion. How many coaches would duplicate that?

CPA played the toughest schedule of any TN HS team in 2014. That's a fact. You didn't mention that Drew lost a Mr. Basketball before the season, had no new players join the team, and still made it t the semis and lost in the last 30 seconds to the state champion. How many coaches would duplicate that?

You must have missed my point in the last line about why they cancelled games against the best teams on their schedule. Did they lose another Mr. Basketball I wasn't aware of? Why did he leave to go to Providence?

You must have missed my point in the last line about why they cancelled games against the best teams on their schedule. Did they lose another Mr. Basketball I wasn't aware of? Why did he leave to go to Providence?

I didn't miss you point. Your point was that they refused to play a tough schedule after they lost Lindsey. They cancelled one game that I know of, and it wasn't because of losing Lindsey. If it was, they would have also cancelled Oak Hill (didn't cancel, got weathered out), Ballard, the Arby's Classic, etc.. MY POINT was that they still played the toughest schedule in the state and won almost every game. He did not leave to go to Providence - he left to go to Hungington Prep. There were several interviews and articles written about why he left and it had nothing to do with any negatives towards Drew or CPA. He even came back and sat on the CPA bench for the state tourney. He left to play on a nationally ranked travel team loaded with D1 teammates because he thought it would better prepare him for college. Please make some effort to get facts before you post your venom. Thanks.

Glad to see nerd is back for another season to provide comic relief. Who is this guy? Could be wrong (which I do identify when the possibility exists) but my guess is it is RH, aka sportsnerd, aka CPA4Ever, aka divepix. Maybe this is the reason why he continues to re-surface with different screen names, talk about your Jekyll/Hyde approach. One minute he is an advocate of keeping it about the sport and apologizing for overstepping the line, next minute he is back on the attack and judging (latest example is rulefollower).

Flips-Flops back and forth framing his arguments to only serve his purpose, no real consistency. And he does it with such force. No wonder he gets along so well with certain CPA administrators, birds of a feather... News flash, you can't win the debate by using the argument of those who you are trying to debate. Obviously there are those who think Maddux's success is based on having superior talent, not coaching ability. And what do you point to - how many games and championships he has won. If you want to prove your point why not try listing all the teams he has beaten when he has had less talent than his opponent. That is a true coaching axiom and one that is used to measure a coach's ability. I don't think you can do it or at least do it objectively.

Fact is CPA wins at the high school level due to superior talent (even last year after losing Lindsay). You ask how many coaches could have done what CPA did last year after losing Lindsay, the answer is many, many since the talent level was still superior to opponents. Fact is the CPA approach, building a high school basketball program that is contrary to the philosophy of high school basketball and allowing the coach to be director of admissions has greatly hurt the testimony of the school. And not only those who you describe as haters and jealous. Why do you think the Bible teaches to abstain from even the appearances of evil/wrongdoing? Simple, because from a Christian perspective, testimony trumps!

And you don't get a pass in this area simply because your child had the experience they should have experienced or other good things happen at CPA. Actually, that appears self-serving along the lines as long as my experience and my kid was treated well, nothing else matters, I don't care how others are treated. What does that say when you lack understanding and empathy for any who does not have the same experience as you, they are automatically wrong? I think not.

Fact is nerd and those like him before him do nothing to help the testimony of the school. Stop, you are not helping at all in your attempts to defend, you are actually hurting the cause. But until you do, I will continue to enjoy the comic relief you provide.

Glad to see nerd is back for another season to provide comic relief. Who is this guy? Could be wrong (which I do identify when the possibility exists) but my guess is it is RH, aka sportsnerd, aka CPA4Ever, aka divepix. Maybe this is the reason why he continues to re-surface with different screen names, talk about your Jekyll/Hyde approach. One minute he is an advocate of keeping it about the sport and apologizing for overstepping the line, next minute he is back on the attack and judging (latest example is rulefollower).

Flips-Flops back and forth framing his arguments to only serve his purpose, no real consistency. And he does it with such force. No wonder he gets along so well with certain CPA administrators, birds of a feather... News flash, you can't win the debate by using the argument of those who you are trying to debate. Obviously there are those who think Maddux's success is based on having superior talent, not coaching ability. And what do you point to - how many games and championships he has won. If you want to prove your point why not try listing all the teams he has beaten when he has had less talent than his opponent. That is a true coaching axiom and one that is used to measure a coach's ability. I don't think you can do it or at least do it objectively.

Fact is CPA wins at the high school level due to superior talent (even last year after losing Lindsay). You ask how many coaches could have done what CPA did last year after losing Lindsay, the answer is many, many since the talent level was still superior to opponents. Fact is the CPA approach, building a high school basketball program that is contrary to the philosophy of high school basketball and allowing the coach to be director of admissions has greatly hurt the testimony of the school. And not only those who you describe as haters and jealous. Why do you think the Bible teaches to abstain from even the appearances of evil/wrongdoing? Simple, because from a Christian perspective, testimony trumps!

And you don't get a pass in this area simply because your child had the experience they should have experienced or other good things happen at CPA. Actually, that appears self-serving along the lines as long as my experience and my kid was treated well, nothing else matters, I don't care how others are treated. What does that say when you lack understanding and empathy for any who does not have the same experience as you, they are automatically wrong? I think not.

Fact is nerd and those like him before him do nothing to help the testimony of the school. Stop, you are not helping at all in your attempts to defend, you are actually hurting the cause. But until you do, I will continue to enjoy the comic relief you provide.

You can't use an argument about my (or CPA's) Christian testimony being false and at the same time be judgmental of your Brothers or sisters in Christ, which you are called not to do. Your judgmental attitude about others is as much a negative testimony as those you claim have a negative testimony. I never criticized others experience with CPA. Your experience was real and I get it, even though I don't understand the lack of forgiveness. All of us have been wronged at some point in our life. I am not being judgmental of a poster as a person. I am asking posters to not judge based on only on hearsay when they don't have a firsthand experience with CPA.

My last post on the subject. Have a great day.

I get the public/private hating, but your argument that you are concerned about the pain of "their own kids and kids friends" not playing is lame. Please produce one comment or proof that any parent or kid at CPA is complaining about their kid not playing. Parents and kids CHOOSE to come to CPA and pay the tuition for many reasons - the least of which is basketball. You think basketball is the sum total of the value of CPA, and you are wrong. My son was not even an athlete - he had disabilities - but we sent him to CPA because they cared for him,  and he got a Christian based education in a loving environment. If a parent wants their kid to play basketball in HS, and that kid is not a very good player, they may not choose CPA as their school. However, most better than average BB players who are willing to work hard as Maddux demands can be on the team. If you ever went to CPA games regularly, you would see the bench play and those kids play a lot and some would not start for some public schools.

You could care less about the kids at CPA who aren't on the team, and you do not know how they feel.

Well, I am certainly not going to name names, but I know many families who are not happy with the way the basketball program is being run, because they know that in another school of a similar size, their children would play, and not be replaced by the latest AAU player to walk in.  (on a side note--interestly enough, a player who had come in as a 6th grader last year, from FRA, as a nationally ranked point guard, left this year, no longer able to afford CPA)  I also have a bit of a problem with 8th graders playing Varsity.  Right there, a student, who will still get his 4 years of playing time in HS, has taken a spot that has been earned by an older student.

rulefollower - I could name families as well, and anyone who denies this does not know the CPA community as well as they think they do.

nerd - Confronting issues, speaking truth about what a person does know, has nothing to do with being judgmental and not forgiving.  Again, you don't know or understand the Scriptural teachings on the matter.  All one has to do is study the life of Jesus and the Apostle Paul to know the difference.  Easy cop-out when one wants to label someone or remove themselves from the debate.  Because you think I am being judgmental and unforgiving this means that CPA can discount the truths of Scripture related to the appearance that has been created?  I think not. 

You and others consistently use words like hearsay, jealousy, hater, etc.  Another cop-out.  What you and others do not get or do not want to admit is that this came from the inside, from supporters as much as anywhere.  When JL came in as an 8th grader, it was his mom who told someone I knew that it was the coach who encouraged his attendance at CPA.  It was a player's mom who was having difficulty financially who was telling others that she was told by the coaches to not worry, not to make any rash decision, they were "working on it."  It was a parent of a player who told a good friend of mine it was Coach Maddux that kept telling her it would benefit his son's college chances if he transferred to CPA.  And the list goes on.  I can name all the names involved in situation I have ever referenced to, but choose not to since there are those still involved.  Has nothing to do with hearsay. 

Does this mean every player who has transferred into CPA over the last 8 years has been done due to a violation of the rules?  Not saying that, but it does not deny the other.  Who knows, maybe the reputation has expanded enough where it is now happening above board.  Though so far, when information does come out it is not in support of following the rules.  Is this too simple for you to understand?  But until there is repentance, it does not matter, because it is about how the foundation was laid.  Another important Scriptural principle.

If I was truly spreading rumors, speaking lies, it would be my brothers in Christ out of love who would be in contact with me first and foremost because they would not want me to continue sinning.  Wonder why no one can confront me on the issue, hmmm.....It is how people are willing to confront the difficult issues that demonstrates whether they are simply being religious or applying true Christian beliefs. 

Yea, yea, yea, your last post on the matter, not going to reply to me any longer, going to quit posting on these boards altogether, etc., etc.  Heard it all before, guess will see if this time you can honor your word since that says much about a man's character. 

I was just at the 7th grade AAU tournament and i watched coach Maddux approached several of the top players at the tournament.  He even approached my son and went as far as to offer "a sponsor family" if i was unwiling to move to nashville with him.  Its funny hes hailed as this excellent coach yet his team didnt even finish in the top 8 in the D2 division at the 7th grade tourney. Its easy to win HS championship when you run an AAU team on the court to compete against teams that have to develop talent based on whats available to them locally. Maddux uses these aau tournament as recruiting tools.  Its unfair to the kids that have to compete against these teams each yr. 

twhite--did you ever report this conversation?  When did you see him there? It wasn't still dead period was it?  On twitter he asked where the game TC was playing in was, on June 30.  But it doesn't mean he was there that day....regardless, the fact that he approached any player at that tournament and offered anything is wrong.

I didn't miss you point. Your point was that they refused to play a tough schedule after they lost Lindsey. They cancelled one game that I know of, and it wasn't because of losing Lindsey. If it was, they would have also cancelled Oak Hill (didn't cancel, got weathered out), Ballard, the Arby's Classic, etc.. MY POINT was that they still played the toughest schedule in the state and won almost every game. He did not leave to go to Providence - he left to go to Hungington Prep. There were several interviews and articles written about why he left and it had nothing to do with any negatives towards Drew or CPA. He even came back and sat on the CPA bench for the state tourney. He left to play on a nationally ranked travel team loaded with D1 teammates because he thought it would better prepare him for college. Please make some effort to get facts before you post your venom. Thanks.

We all know he went to a prep school, but didn't he sign with Providence? Why would you go to a prep school to sign with them? And it was nice to get weathered out. I would really question whether they played the toughest schedule in the state. That is why they didn't win state. Schedule was to weak. Beating people by 30 every night does not help you later on.

To sum everything up, CPA needs to be playing Oak Hill types all the time because their mission is to build a basketball factory. You need to step back and look at how other schools and kids are put at such an unfair advantage playing your school. And just because we don't agree with the CPA way, it doesn't make all of us who disagree haters. Do things the right way!