How will our representative vote?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if there is a total split, the same schools that are complaining about not being able to compete because of privates will still be complaining, only this time it will be against open zoned schools or some other reason. Heck, let's just give everyone a trophy.

I am for the split, just let every public school then go to open zoning. Problem solved.

Thats not the case. Schools like Ensworth, Baylor, McCallie, MBA, Brentwood Academy etc etc have very deep pockets. Believe that if you want. The privates could be very self sustaining. It's amazing that you say that especially when all the talk is the advantages that privates have because of money. And the reality is the privates don't have a voice. The publics are forcing the split mostly because the little schools can't compete.

You are misinformed about the split. Schools like BA want it as well because they are competing for athletes against the likes of CPA, yet CPA doesn't have to play against BA.

Once again how much money does Division II teams bring into the TSSAA?

Why won't the TSSAA listen to the majority and do the public/private split?

You are misinformed about the split. Schools like BA want it as well because they are competing for athletes against the likes of CPA, yet CPA doesn't have to play against BA.

Once again how much money does Division II teams bring into the TSSAA?

Why won't the TSSAA listen to the majority and do the public/private split?

I was commenting on how you said the privates need the publics and the TSSAA. I'm convinced a split is going to happen because way too many people want it. However, once a split occurs publics schools should be weary, privates will recruit (and it will be legal) the public school kids. Money is also the reason all of this debate is going on. People post that the TSSAA hasn't split yet because they are scared of losing private money, I'm sure they're scared of litigation and law suits. Not sure when it's going to happen but if it does I hope they go to 4 classes and then read about Alcoa, Fulton, and Maryville dominating three of four classes and then the publics trying another split. In reality, there is nothing stopping the privates from forming their own association. They could set up there own guidlines, bylaws and rules. The only thing need from the publics would be non district games. If they don't want to play them then that's their choice. They will find games. There are a lot of private schools not playing in the TSSAA, allow them to join as well. Play the state tournaments at Vanderbilt (football) UT (basketball) sports like soccer baseball track etc play at Belmont or Lipscomb. Heck even if a public wants to join (I doubt any would) then come on aboard. They could call their association the Tennessee Private School Athletic League. Edited by QSouth89

My question is how much money do private schools generate for the TSSAA? I would venture to say they are the least attended championship games.

I believe the refusal by the TSSAA to serious look at the split stems from the privates knowing they cannot sustain their own government body and need the TSSAA. As a result, they are willing to do whatever to take the make sure the split does not happen. It is lobbying in the realm of high school athletics.

I think you need to open your eyes. Private schools could easily form amd operate their own league. In fact it would be cost effecient. In the end I applaud the TSSAA for taking time to make decisions because all the privates leaving impact classification not just money for TSSAA. You shouldn't expect an organization to change radically over night.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jun/20/local-tssaa-meeting-looks-at-classification-split/?sportspreps

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jun/20/those-wanting-split-should-beware/

I guess we can all see where this is goin'.  That Hargis boy has a pretty tight line with Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way).  If it's in that Hargis boy's paper, you can take it to the bank.

I was commenting on how you said the privates need the publics and the TSSAA. I'm convinced a split is going to happen because way too many people want it. However, once a split occurs publics schools should be weary, privates will recruit (and it will be legal) the public school kids. Money is also the reason all of this debate is going on. People post that the TSSAA hasn't split yet because they are scared of losing private money, I'm sure they're scared of litigation and law suits. Not sure when it's going to happen but if it does I hope they go to 4 classes and then read about Alcoa, Fulton, and Maryville dominating three of four classes and then the publics trying another split. In reality, there is nothing stopping the privates from forming their own association. They could set up there own guidlines, bylaws and rules. The only thing need from the publics would be non district games. If they don't want to play them then that's their choice. They will find games. There are a lot of private schools not playing in the TSSAA, allow them to join as well. Play the state tournaments at Vanderbilt (football) UT (basketball) sports like soccer baseball track etc play at Belmont or Lipscomb. Heck even if a public wants to join (I doubt any would) then come on aboard. They could call their association the Tennessee Private School Athletic League.

Exactly right.  The privates are ready to be "thrown out" of the TSSAA.  The open recruiting will happen and it will happen EVERYWHERE (yes, Alcoa and Maryville too).  The money will flow like water.  also, Look for the private group to sanction 8 man football, which for some reason the TSSAA will not.

• 3 weeks later...

And if there is a total split, the same schools that are complaining about not being able to compete because of privates will still be complaining, only this time it will be against open zoned schools or some other  reason.  Heck, let's just give everyone a trophy.

u are exactly right there my thought is make everyone play by the same rules no matter what or where they are and then noone has anything to fuss n cry about n then if they wanna cry they can take their ball elsewhere and play i personally have always thought there was more of an advantage with open zones then privates anyway my thinking is if some can have open zones all should if some cant then noone should

u are exactly right there my thought is make everyone play by the same rules no matter what or where they are and then noone has anything to fuss n cry about n then if they wanna cry they can take their ball elsewhere and play i personally have always thought there was more of an advantage with open zones then privates anyway my thinking is if some can have open zones all should if some cant then noone should

I agree and have had several conversations about that over the years with my friends from Alcoa and other open zoned schools.  (1)The Open Zone schools have the benefit of a "guaranteed" student/athlete population provided by a set school zone, just like all public schools have, (2) have the benefit of being able to accept students from outside that school zone, even outside of the county, like all private schools have, yet (3) have NO multiplier, unlike the privates who are assessed a 1.8 multiplier, and they compete mostly against schools that are not open zoned and cannot take student/athletes that live outside their school zone, at least not legally :ph34r:.  IMHO the Open Zone schools should be assessed a multiplier just like the private D1's.  Most Open Zone schools are playing by the rules, it's just that the rules are slanted in their favor.  It's also true that some of the Open Zone schools would win in a big way even if they faced a multiplier or played in D2, but the point is to make the playing field as even as possible for everyone. 

I completely agree!

I agree and have had several conversations about that over the years with my friends from Alcoa and other open zoned schools.  (1)The Open Zone schools have the benefit of a "guaranteed" student/athlete population provided by a set school zone, just like all public schools have, (2) have the benefit of being able to accept students from outside that school zone, even outside of the county, like all private schools have, yet (3) have NO multiplier, unlike the privates who are assessed a 1.8 multiplier, and they compete mostly against schools that are not open zoned and cannot take student/athletes that live outside their school zone, at least not legally :ph34r:.  IMHO the Open Zone schools should be assessed a multiplier just like the private D1's.  Most Open Zone schools are playing by the rules, it's just that the rules are slanted in their favor.  It's also true that some of the Open Zone schools would win in a big way even if they faced a multiplier or played in D2, but the point is to make the playing field as even as possible for everyone. 

Great post!!!