South Pittsburg vs Whitwell (Moore man against this Helton man)

Roy Dillard

Good thing for punt return for td and fumble return......lol. As bad as the tiger offense was, I figured that sp would get the victory but not by a couple of fortunate plays. Can't wait till Halloween night, it's gonna be a fun game.

I agree with you SP was very fortunate to win the game. We have a lot of work to do. Remember a few weeks ago when I said the closest Sequatchie or SP could come to Marion was 3-4 TD's? That prediction is looking better isn't it? lol

I like whitwells style and grit. At the end the game their players were crying. That tells me several things. They believe in themselves and put in 110% effort to win, not to lose. I hope they do well the rest of the season. As for the Pirates. They are down and everyone outside of the town is absolutely loving it. Some keep talking about Halloween night. Sounds to me it's the same up the road as it always has been. Their championship game is the rivalry game. If the warriors don't start setting their goals higher they will never be the top dawg in the valley again...just saying. I wish all valley teams well, always will. Back to SP. Listen. I am beginning to see some things, and I hope I'm wrong. Politics and small town football is not a good combination. It needs to end. I'm not saying people haven't earned their stripes, but I know of 4 boys that need to be in the mix or the bread and butter of next years team will be playing for another team.

Mike, everything you said happens in small town football. It comes in cycles. The talent, coaching, politics, etc. We have just been on a good run for 10 years. It's no fun to not be very good, but we should count our lucky stars to have been fortunate enough for the great players and coaches we have had the past 10 years. Fact is most 1A schools don't get to enjoy 10 straight years of 9 or more wins each year. My assessment? We have lost some quality players and coaches over the past several years. That hurts and now we just have to go with what we've got and unfortunately we aren't very talented right now.

Mike, everything you said happens in small town football. It comes in cycles. The talent, coaching, politics, etc. We have just been on a good run for 10 years. It's no fun to not be very good, but we should count our lucky stars to have been fortunate enough for the great players and coaches we have had the past 10 years. Fact is most 1A schools don't get to enjoy 10 straight years of 9 or more wins each year. My assessment? We have lost some quality players and coaches over the past several years. That hurts and now we just have to go with what we've got and unfortunately we aren't very talented right now.

Yep, recon so +

14 has earned his spot on the field..fact is he is one of the few players that can catch the ball consistently...I agree 5 should be in the game somewhere..I've always said at the back spot and out 9 at wr and we are a better team...12 needs touches too....we don't have much talent and speed this year, but what we do have needs to be on the field I agree op. Maybe we are holding out for playoffs but as Jim mora said...playoffs? You wanna talk about playoffs? I just hope we win a game!

PP, the Pirates simply aren't productive, most agree the OC & coach Tim need to re-think the offensive scheme. #5 is a descent potential threat at RB, RB Blevins can also tote the mail, Corbin is the play maker. OP says with # 5 in the game at RB, Corbin could be used more in the passing game. Point here is, with Corbin moved around & #5 in the game, the offense could be more threatening and could create more wrinkles than the current scheme. It isn't surprising the offense is so non productive. The Pirates aren't explosive offensively, so they need to control the clock with a better quick hitting running game, not the slow developing plays currently run. The run needs to set up the pass, sorry OP ain't seeing a 5 ft freshman WR as a threat until a empty backfield obvious passing situation. The Pirates have to develop quickly some sort consistent running game, relying on the pass is a sure recipe for losing!

WEPG second half reception was much better, but I'd already gone to bed without my laptop, so no updates.  Someone must have tweeked some knobs.  From what my wife said it's probably better I stayed at home...my heart couldn't have taken it.  Some of you are coming around to what some of us have already said....we're an OK 1A team, but we're not headline-makers anymore.  We don't have any boys in the stats columns in the prep section of the paper, and if it weren't for a kickoff return and a fumble return the 21 game winning streak would have ended last night.  But, hey, it has to happen eventually.  Even teams with the ability to recruit don't have consistent winning seasons.  We have to dance with who we brung.  And, unfortunately, who we brung ain't as good as who we've brung in the past.  And, yes, the other teams around here smell blood.  In years past they said, "let's just get past SP then move on."  Now, they're saying, "let's pull all the stops against SP and beat the crap out of them while we can."

I said it last season that our 2014 pirates would be the weakest team we have had since 2004. Some people just have a hard time believing I guess. The bad news for SP is that we start 8 seniors on each side of the ball. Nowhere left to go but up after escaping the Whitwell game with a 1 point win. Regardless of what the morning paper says about the game. Lets not kid ourselves. Whitwell is improved, but Whitwell is still Whitwell and we were lucky to win.

Whitwell consistently outplayed SP . Came out of the gate unintimidated; played that way all night. Whitwell special team play again cost them. Game turned on the fumble return for TD by SP. Turned 5 point lead with possession into one point deficit and time becoming a factor. Later with over six minutes remaining and SP at 3rd and 19!!!, completed pass for SP 1st down. Game over at that time. Congrats to Whitwell team for not giving up. Fumble and 3rd and 19 conversion killed an otherwise outstanding performance. Tigers simply outplayed Pirates last night. Don't have a clue how accurate all the fan chatter is about idle SP talent. Better get it on the field quick or this season could turn ugly fast. Grundy will be a real test. Personally, I'd give 24 a lot more touches each game. There's your stud. JMO

Edited by nohope

WEPG second half reception was much better, but I'd already gone to bed without my laptop, so no updates. Someone must have tweeked some knobs. From what my wife said it's probably better I stayed at home...my heart couldn't have taken it. Some of you are coming around to what some of us have already said....we're an OK 1A team, but we're not headline-makers anymore. We don't have any boys in the stats columns in the prep section of the paper, and if it weren't for a kickoff return and a fumble return the 21 game winning streak would have ended last night. But, hey, it has to happen eventually. Even teams with the ability to recruit don't have consistent winning seasons. We have to dance with who we brung. And, unfortunately, who we brung ain't as good as who we've brung in the past. And, yes, the other teams around here smell blood. In years past they said, "let's just get past SP then move on." Now, they're saying, "let's pull all the stops against SP and beat the crap out of them while we can."

D60 that's what happens when you have been the lead dog for so long. Sure we have lost a game or two here and there to Marion and Sequatchie, but SP has pretty much been the lead dog in the valley since 1998. It's been a good run for such a small school, but like I said a lot has changed lately in our program and none of it for the good in my opinion. It's been 10 years since we have had a team this bad, but it happens in small town football. I must agree that watching 1,2,5 and 12 stand on the sideline while others play is a head scratcher for me as well, but that's why the coaches get paid to make those decisions.

You want to know why kids stand on the sideline? Come to practice, see their attitude, and you will post. "Why are these kids on the team? "

We as Pirates, need to stop looking at past teams because they can't help you now.

#9 needs to get tough and fast. Secondary needs to learn to tackle, looks like they are afraid to hit.

Man overboard, man overboard!! What's going on at SP. Whitwell? Early spring the thoughts on 3 those sophomores were sky high. FB Jared Jones was going to be featured a lot along with Corbin but then obviously the coaching changed things and now fast forward and Wing T is scrapped and the pistol is now offense trying to throw more. Besides 24 apparently a freshman is all SP has got to throw too and that isn't going to win ballgames unless he is a D-1 talent. I'm sure the freshman can catch and deserves to be on the field but I would think these sophomores need to be on the field somewhere. Outside looking in it looks like you have 5 Wing backs and a FB and just can't play them all in that offense. Maybe the coaches don't trust the sophomores enough to play them and are just relying on upperclassmen idk. It's great if it works but so far it doesn't seem to be. Looking ahead at rest of schedule I will be surprised if they win 5 games. This team has some speed but I guess they aren't ready. 7/8 SR'S that start this year makes next year look even more bleak. Good luck to the Pirates the rest of year of course except for October 10th ;)

Edited by TonyHorton91281