Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

Just look at the roster in terms of numbers. Martin's team all had 55-70 players ...... since he left less than 40 in both years. I am guessing that Mote does not have the relationships with area middle schools that Martin did. So coaching at Goodpasture is more than X's and O's. And I do not think RP or LJ understand that. With Goodpasture being in the middle of Davidson County the Head Football needs to develop relationships with middle schools in Wilson, Sumner, Robertson, Cheatham, and Davidson Counties. I am not saying recruit kids from these schools, but when Goodpasture was rocking and rolling since the late 90's. They had kids from all these counties on their roster each year ... more players=more depth and in Class 2A that is huge when 90 percent of schools have starters going both ways.

This is exactly why Privates have no business playing public schools!

If you're not saying recruit...just what are you saying exactly? Goodpasture has (with the multiplier) several more kids than any other school in the 1A-2AA football sub class via the "jump two classes" rule already...do you think that they need more students to compete?

The underlined quote is true for all schools and could be construed as legal and positive, or illegal and underhanded as the reader interprets.

The bold highlighted quote is quite clear in its intent, don't you think?

Spot on.

If you're not saying recruit...just what are you saying exactly? Goodpasture has (with the multiplier) several more kids than any other school in the 1A-2AA football sub class via the "jump two classes" rule already...do you think that they need more students to compete?

The underlined quote is true for all schools and could be construed as legal and positive, or illegal and underhanded as the reader interprets.

The bold highlighted quote is quite clear in its intent, don't you think?

What a joke the private christian schools are these days. Recruit recruit recruit is all they know. Its never been about developing their own talent, just rob from the county programs to win a gold object. The same goes for the programs with the "open enrollment" policy.

I hate to tell you, but most of the smaller schools don't "recruit, recruit, recruit".....Yeah, your CPAs, Ensworths, BAs, MBAs, do.....but most of the DII-As don't have a signing class.  They get an occasional player or 2, but don't land 5 or 6 athletes per class.  

Goodpasture themselves lost Jalen Hurd to MBA, but not whining about it.   And we can't offer financial aid at this point, so it really limits who can come to the school right now.  

We were getting a lot of athletes due to the baseball and football programs.  Lot of kids out of Goodlettsville wanted to win in baseball and softball, and a lot of players were going to college in both.  Also, were blessed with a lot of kids that started out at Goodpasture.  Boys basketball had been down until a good coach was hired. 

In boys basketball last season the senior class had 7 strong seniors.  And none of them "were recruited"....it was a good group.  

For the record, I don't agree that we should be playing in the public school division.  It doesn't do any party any good.  No one wants to drive up to Trousdale County, Watertown, or Gordonsville baseball or basketball game.  Those aren't natural rivals.  When the decision was made to stay in Division 1, the assumption was that we would be placed with in the smaller district North or West.  Davidson, DCA, Friendship, Lipscomb, Ezell, etc. are all more natural rivals and would bring a better gate for all sports.  I would think in 2 years that decision will be made.  

I hate to tell you, but most of the smaller schools don't "recruit, recruit, recruit".....Yeah, your CPAs, Ensworths, BAs, MBAs, do.....but most of the DII-As don't have a signing class. They get an occasional player or 2, but don't land 5 or 6 athletes per class.

Goodpasture themselves lost Jalen Hurd to MBA, but not whining about it. And we can't offer financial aid at this point, so it really limits who can come to the school right now.

We were getting a lot of athletes due to the baseball and football programs. Lot of kids out of Goodlettsville wanted to win in baseball and softball, and a lot of players were going to college in both. Also, were blessed with a lot of kids that started out at Goodpasture. Boys basketball had been down until a good coach was hired.

In boys basketball last season the senior class had 7 strong seniors. And none of them "were recruited"....it was a good group.

For the record, I don't agree that we should be playing in the public school division. It doesn't do any party any good. No one wants to drive up to Trousdale County, Watertown, or Gordonsville baseball or basketball game. Those aren't natural rivals. When the decision was made to stay in Division 1, the assumption was that we would be placed with in the smaller district North or West. Davidson, DCA, Friendship, Lipscomb, Ezell, etc. are all more natural rivals and would bring a better gate for all sports. I would think in 2 years that decision will be made.

Force all the small privates into d2 and watch how many good players suddenly wind up at private schools.

I hate to tell you, but most of the smaller schools don't "recruit, recruit, recruit".....Yeah, your CPAs, Ensworths, BAs, MBAs, do.....but most of the DII-As don't have a signing class.  They get an occasional player or 2, but don't land 5 or 6 athletes per class.  

Goodpasture themselves lost Jalen Hurd to MBA, but not whining about it.   And we can't offer financial aid at this point, so it really limits who can come to the school right now.  

We were getting a lot of athletes due to the baseball and football programs.  Lot of kids out of Goodlettsville wanted to win in baseball and softball, and a lot of players were going to college in both.  Also, were blessed with a lot of kids that started out at Goodpasture.  Boys basketball had been down until a good coach was hired. 

In boys basketball last season the senior class had 7 strong seniors.  And none of them "were recruited"....it was a good group.  

For the record, I don't agree that we should be playing in the public school division.  It doesn't do any party any good.  No one wants to drive up to Trousdale County, Watertown, or Gordonsville baseball or basketball game.  Those aren't natural rivals.  When the decision was made to stay in Division 1, the assumption was that we would be placed with in the smaller district North or West.  Davidson, DCA, Friendship, Lipscomb, Ezell, etc. are all more natural rivals and would bring a better gate for all sports.  I would think in 2 years that decision will be made.

What you said makes sense. Good post!

Force all the small privates into d2 and watch how many good players suddenly wind up at private schools.

You can't ultimately place all of the blame on the private schools.  If people want a better education or shot at competitive/organized athletics then some of the blame has to be on the public schools.  

Most of the county schools outside of Davidson County have pretty competitive programs.  Beech/Hendersonville in Sumner, Williamson County (Indy, Ravenwood, Brentwood, Franklin) Rutherford County (pick your school) and Wilson (Mt. Juliet, occasionally WC).  

Ask yourself this question.......would you want your child to learn and play varsity sports at Hunters Lane/Whites Creek or Goodpasture?   Yes, privates have a competitive advantage in Davidson County, but at some point that becomes a MNPS problem....not a private school problem.   Your Overtons, Hillsboros, East Lit's, Maplewoods, Pearl Cohns, have all had competitive football and basketball programs.  Overton has always been a solid baseball program.  They have all lost players to private schools, but continue to field quality teams. 

If you live in the Davidson County side of Goodlettsville......and your kid is a good baseball, basketball or football player....you going to Hunters Lane?  Have you seen that school?  It's complete chaos.  You live up in Joelton.....Whites Creek?  Go Cobras.  South Nashville....u going to Glencliff?  Go Colts.  

If anyone should be complaining about losing athletes, it should be Metro.....but they don't want to do anything to change or put importance on athletics.   When they destroyed the neighborhood school system, those days changed.   It's tough to keep kids in those programs with all of the disadvantages they have.  I have several coaching friends of mine that coach in Metro programs, and it's a daily challenge.  

You can't ultimately place all of the blame on the private schools. If people want a better education or shot at competitive/organized athletics then some of the blame has to be on the public schools.

Most of the county schools outside of Davidson County have pretty competitive programs. Beech/Hendersonville in Sumner, Williamson County (Indy, Ravenwood, Brentwood, Franklin) Rutherford County (pick your school) and Wilson (Mt. Juliet, occasionally WC).

Ask yourself this question.......would you want your child to learn and play varsity sports at Hunters Lane/Whites Creek or Goodpasture? Yes, privates have a competitive advantage in Davidson County, but at some point that becomes a MNPS problem....not a private school problem. Your Overtons, Hillsboros, East Lit's, Maplewoods, Pearl Cohns, have all had competitive football and basketball programs. Overton has always been a solid baseball program. They have all lost players to private schools, but continue to field quality teams.

If you live in the Davidson County side of Goodlettsville......and your kid is a good baseball, basketball or football player....you going to Hunters Lane? Have you seen that school? It's complete chaos. You live up in Joelton.....Whites Creek? Go Cobras. South Nashville....u going to Glencliff? Go Colts.

If anyone should be complaining about losing athletes, it should be Metro.....but they don't want to do anything to change or put importance on athletics. When they destroyed the neighborhood school system, those days changed. It's tough to keep kids in those programs with all of the disadvantages they have. I have several coaching friends of mine that coach in Metro programs, and it's a daily challenge.

You may have missed the point I was trying to make which is my fault for not being clear.

My kids go to Boyd Buc.

We lose kids to Other schools going into 9th (Baylor and McCallie) because we don't offer aid to athletes.

Put us in D2 and that will end. Plus others will come asking to come to the school. The public schools complain now but put all the small privates in Chattanooga in D2 and see what happens.

You may have missed the point I was trying to make which is my fault for not being clear.

My kids go to Boyd Buc.

We lose kids to Other schools going into 9th (Baylor and McCallie) because we don't offer aid to athletes.

Put us in D2 and that will end. Plus others will come asking to come to the school. The public schools complain now but put all the small privates in Chattanooga in D2 and see what happens.

I apologize.  Completely missed your point.  I agree with your assessment.  Public schools want a complete split, but they should be careful what they wish for.  In your area especially, more kids will be lining up to attend privates when there is a split.