Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

i had Mote as a coach back when he was at Columbia Academy, let me make it clear, he is not a bad coach.  I have been on the sidelines and heard him yell out the plays of the other team for the entire game before they ran them.  I have been through his preseason/in season/postseason programs, and we were always prepared.  We were hindered constantly by talent and depth  to truly succeed.  

I can not speak about what he has to work with at Good Pasture, but I can speak to his preparation and leadership of players.  Maybe he is lacking personel, or hindered by administration?  

i had Mote as a coach back when he was at Columbia Academy, let me make it clear, he is not a bad coach.  I have been on the sidelines and heard him yell out the plays of the other team for the entire game before they ran them.  I have been through his preseason/in season/postseason programs, and we were always prepared.  We were hindered constantly by talent and depth  to truly succeed.  

I can not speak about what he has to work with at Good Pasture, but I can speak to his preparation and leadership of players.  Maybe he is lacking personel, or hindered by administration?

It might be that the powers that be realized it was a school instead of a football factory.You think I'm joking.

Every coach has their positives, but in a season and a half I haven't seen anything to make me believe he is a good coach.  He might not be a bad coach, but we don't look very prepared.   Furthermore, Coach Mote has a career winning percentage less than .500.   I can understand the schedule strength being a little difficult, but losing to FRA, and getting blown out by Trousdale has not helped his cause. 

The offense is averaging less than 7 points per game.  GP is 0-6, and best case scenario is a 3-7 record if we can get past RBS, Gordonsville, and Watertown.  I'm assuming a loss to Maplewood. We are competing in 2A football which isn't natural rivals, but if we were in DII-A, we would currently be no better than 4th depending on the region.  FCS, DCA, Knox Webb would certainly take us to the woodshed.  We have also lost to FRA.  Currently Davidson Academy is putting up points, and I'm not sure we could score with them.  

Letting Coach Martin go without a coach lined up has been a mistake.  But GP can't look back....only forward.  There is talent in the lower grades to be competitive.     

Every coach has their positives, but in a season and a half I haven't seen anything to make me believe he is a good coach.  He might not be a bad coach, but we don't look very prepared.   Furthermore, Coach Mote has a career winning percentage less than .500.   I can understand the schedule strength being a little difficult, but losing to FRA, and getting blown out by Trousdale has not helped his cause. 

The offense is averaging less than 7 points per game.  GP is 0-6, and best case scenario is a 3-7 record if we can get past RBS, Gordonsville, and Watertown.  I'm assuming a loss to Maplewood. We are competing in 2A football which isn't natural rivals, but if we were in DII-A, we would currently be no better than 4th depending on the region.  FCS, DCA, Knox Webb would certainly take us to the woodshed.  We have also lost to FRA.  Currently Davidson Academy is putting up points, and I'm not sure we could score with them.  

Letting Coach Martin go without a coach lined up has been a mistake.  But GP can't look back....only forward.  There is talent in the lower grades to be competitive.     

no idea, I can tell you when he was at CA if I was on the sideline, he would know every play the opposing team was going to run before they would run it, and he would be yelling it to the defense.  Ever thought you just lack talent?  Goodpasture has a rich tradition of winning, I know.   But all teams go through rough patches of talent.  

Goodpasture should beat the rush and go D2 next year. Due to the location, they can attract 5-6 players in each class who would otherwise go to Maplewood, hunters Lane or Whitescreek. Add 15-20 players and you compete with anyone in d2-A including Webb. Money is not an issue since there are plenty of people who would support this financially. If all privates go D2 as expected, you better make the change sooner rather than later if you plan on competing with CPA who has raised the bar well over where Goodpasture is now. Funny that CPAs current success is indirectly related to Goodpasture due to the fact the previous football coach at CPA could not beat Goodpasture and CPA admin brought in I. Martin to beat GP. Fact is if GP wants to compete, will need to use the CPA model and spend the cash.

Goodpasture should beat the rush and go D2 next year. Due to the location, they can attract 5-6 players in each class who would otherwise go to Maplewood, hunters Lane or Whitescreek. Add 15-20 players and you compete with anyone in d2-A including Webb. Money is not an issue since there are plenty of people who would support this financially. If all privates go D2 as expected, you better make the change sooner rather than later if you plan on competing with CPA who has raised the bar well over where Goodpasture is now. Funny that CPAs current success is indirectly related to Goodpasture due to the fact the previous football coach at CPA could not beat Goodpasture and CPA admin brought in I. Martin to beat GP. Fact is if GP wants to compete, will need to use the CPA model and spend the cash.

Not sure you can just "make the change" to D2.  Also, at Goodpasture you aren't adding 15-20 players immediately.  It's not like these smaller private schools just go add a signing class.   We don't have to use the CPA model to compete.  No one wants to be or likes CPA, and we are not competing with them now....or in the future, and I'm not worried about their program. You simply have to have a competitive program, with an effective coaching staff.  There have been athletes in that school last year that could have helped in football.  Quite frankly, 3-4 kids on the basketball team last season would have been immediate starters.  

You can have a private school model and compete without the shenanigans of living with a pastor, using Nike EYBL teams to attract top talent, or make your basketball coach the admissions director. 

no idea, I can tell you when he was at CA if I was on the sideline, he would know every play the opposing team was going to run before they would run it, and he would be yelling it to the defense.  Ever thought you just lack talent?  Goodpasture has a rich tradition of winning, I know.   But all teams go through rough patches of talent.  

As posted....the talent is down.  However, not down enough to lose to FRA the last 2 seasons, and get beat by a Trousdale team that didn't have their Mr. Football candidate who had gotten mercy-ruled by FCS the week before. 

I can yell what the opposing team is going to do this season, and we haven't stopped anyone.  Furthermore, we can't score. 

Not sure you can just "make the change" to D2.  Also, at Goodpasture you aren't adding 15-20 players immediately.  It's not like these smaller private schools just go add a signing class.   We don't have to use the CPA model to compete.  No one wants to be or likes CPA, and we are not competing with them now....or in the future, and I'm not worried about their program. You simply have to have a competitive program, with an effective coaching staff.  There have been athletes in that school last year that could have helped in football.  Quite frankly, 3-4 kids on the basketball team last season would have been immediate starters.  

You can have a private school model and compete without the shenanigans of living with a pastor, using Nike EYBL teams to attract top talent, or make your basketball coach the admissions director. 

You are competing in a public school division that has a "cutoff" of around 530 students (give or take), with an official (multiplied) student population of around 630, or 100 students over the cutoff, due to a ridiculous TSSAA rule that involves other sports and jumping two football classifications.

In any reclassification year you are allowed to "make the change" to DII , or back to public from DII if you wish (see Jackson Christian...you should remember them).

Everyone has cycles with their program...you are not entitled to automaticly win 10+ games every year, even if you are Goodpasture...your school has every available advantage, win with it or get used to things as they are.

You are competing in a public school division that has a "cutoff" of around 530 students (give or take), with an official (multiplied) student population of around 630, or 100 students over the cutoff, due to a ridiculous TSSAA rule that involves other sports and jumping two football classifications.

In any reclassification year you are allowed to "make the change" to DII , or back to public from DII if you wish (see Jackson Christian...you should remember them).

Everyone has cycles with their program...you are not entitled to automaticly win 10+ games every year, even if you are Goodpasture...your school has every available advantage, win with it or get used to things as they are.

I know the rule on re-classification.  Just didn't know the year you can make the decision.   I don't make the rules for the TSSAA and the public school division.  

I do not believe we are entitled to win 10 games per year.   And quite honestly, while GP should get some wins, our regular season schedule out of conference is pretty competitive.   I agree we have every available advantage, that is why production on the field matters.  

I'm not so much into the wins and losses as what I see on the field and in the program.   Our weight program, our offense, and overall depth are a concern.   GP had years of 50-60 players and the best athletes all played football.   Again, we had 3-4 players last year in basketball that could have started and helped the team.  

Your points are well taken.....if we can't win those advantages then a change should be made.  

As posted....the talent is down.  However, not down enough to lose to FRA the last 2 seasons, and get beat by a Trousdale team that didn't have their Mr. Football candidate who had gotten mercy-ruled by FCS the week before. 

I can yell what the opposing team is going to do this season, and we haven't stopped anyone.  Furthermore, we can't score. 

I hope your not Mike Hamilton and fire Butch Jones because of some growing pains.