Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

everyone forgets, Goodpasture tried the DII route when it first started and did not have a lot of success.  back to Friday night, look for Tillman to run it up, his administration is looking over his shoulder.

Back in that day of DII-A....it consisted of BGA, Knox Webb, St. Benedict, Briarcrest, Notre Dame, etc.   A little different across the board now.

Ens,

The 2 coordinators are C of C. I do think this time around they will have to do away with that parameter in this search. It does limit the pool of candidates for sure. I believe NCS is C of C as well (NCSdad can correct me) so I would assume Brothers would qualify.

If that parameter is required, I do think Peden or Atwood could coach the program much more effectively than the current coach. After watching Friday nights, it can't be much worse. And Lipscomb is going to want to pound little brother into submission on Friday night.

Smokestack

Didn't Goodpasture have an assistant go be a head coach at Clarksville? Is he a candidate? Also, I believe you can remove Peden from the list, he was run through the mud by the Goodpasture people who were sure he was in a conspiracy to get rid of Martin.

1st 3 people I would call would be Paul Wade at Ensworth and Anthony Crabtree at Beech, and John McNeal at Friendship.     If you are willing to spend the money, you can get Wade.  Crabtree is probably 10 years away from a public school retirement, but if you can up his salary you might be able to get him.  Both of those are underappreciated at their current schools.  McNeal would be a definite phone call and would have been great in a football/baseball hire, but think it would be impossible for him to leave.    

A 2nd tier group I would look at would include: 

1.) Jay Gore - McGavock

2.) Scott Blade - Independence

3.) Jeff Brothers - NCS

If you go with the coordinator route, then I would look at: 

1.) Jody Atwood at FCS

2.) David Peden at BGA 

There will be plenty of applicants.  Goodpasture just needs to be aggressive.  

If you are affiliated with Goodpasture in any official capacity this is a new low. It's one thing for folks to get on a message board and let off a little steam about coaching in general (I don't condone names even then), but to "shop" the man's job while he's still the HC isn't very moralistic. It's pretty plain where your principals lie from your catalog of comments...drop the religious affiliation to the school as a prerequisite, must be able to recruit, and money is not an object of great concern if you get the right guy...might as well add Marion County's ex coach to your list...shucks, all he did was vandalize his own fieldhouse and try to blame their biggest rival!

If this is the image that you, as a  "Christian school supporter" want to project, I'm truly sorry for interjecting myself into your little rant to defend "my" public school, there was no need. I'll give one more thought and then I'm done here...if the guidelines mentioned for hiring a coach (by you) are your true opinion, drop the facade of being church affiliated in your personal posts and just be an "athletic supporter"...it fits you better.

Smokestack

Didn't Goodpasture have an assistant go be a head coach at Clarksville? Is he a candidate? Also, I believe you can remove Peden from the list, he was run through the mud by the Goodpasture people who were sure he was in a conspiracy to get rid of Martin.

Not sure about the coach in Clarksville.  I can't remove Peden from the list.....he is close with the big hitter at Gpasture and would be a good fallback option if other candidates are not interested.   Again, the list is purely speculation at this point. 

If you are affiliated with Goodpasture in any official capacity this is a new low. It's one thing for folks to get on a message board and let off a little steam about coaching in general (I don't condone names even then), but to "shop" the man's job while he's still the HC isn't very moralistic. It's pretty plain where your principals lie from your catalog of comments...drop the religious affiliation to the school as a prerequisite, must be able to recruit, and money is not an object of great concern if you get the right guy...might as well add Marion County's ex coach to your list...shucks, all he did was vandalize his own fieldhouse and try to blame their biggest rival!

If this is the image that you, as a  "Christian school supporter" want to project, I'm truly sorry for interjecting myself into your little rant to defend "my" public school, there was no need. I'll give one more thought and then I'm done here...if the guidelines mentioned for hiring a coach (by you) are your true opinion, drop the facade of being church affiliated in your personal posts and just be an "athletic supporter"...it fits you better.

TraderTwo,

With all due respect, I've never mentioned recruiting, or relationships with middle schools.   Check my previous posts.  You and the "my little country school" crowd jump in and whine about "you privates recruit"....I have also posted that we have no business playing against Hartsville, Watertown, Gordonsville, or Red Boiling.   No one cares about driving to Boonestown on Friday night to play "Scotts Hill" or wherever you are from.   Thank you for apologizing for interjecting the thread, because you have said nothing about the topic of Goodpasture football, just simply "privates recruit" and "yeer a Christian school, ye shouldn't be doin' that" -  We would all be better off if you didn't say anything. 

My moral or religious character has nothing to do with my displeasure of the football program.   I think Goodpasture made a serious mistake firing Coach Martin, and then on top of that hiring someone with a less than .500 winning percentage for a usually competitive football program. It doesn't make me "immoral" to post or speculate for a new coach when the Cougars are staring at an 0-6 record after Lipscomb probably dismantles little brother.   

1st 3 people I would call would be Paul Wade at Ensworth and Anthony Crabtree at Beech, and John McNeal at Friendship. If you are willing to spend the money, you can get Wade. Crabtree is probably 10 years away from a public school retirement, but if you can up his salary you might be able to get him. Both of those are underappreciated at their current schools. McNeal would be a definite phone call and would have been great in a football/baseball hire, but think it would be impossible for him to leave.

A 2nd tier group I would look at would include:

1.) Jay Gore - McGavock

2.) Scott Blade - Independence

3.) Jeff Brothers - NCS

If you go with the coordinator route, then I would look at:

1.) Jody Atwood at FCS

2.) David Peden at BGA

There will be plenty of applicants. Goodpasture just needs to be aggressive.

McNeal is a Goodpasture alum and would make sense but I don't see him leaving FC for GP unless there were a change in administration at GP. He has total control at FC in athletics and suffered through 20 yrs there to reach the level of success he's enjoyed the past 7 yrs. GP would never give him the same control Imo. The split is coming but until then he could lead GP back to a level required to beat TCA at least 50% of the time and lord knows he owns Watertown.

As for Atwood he is an absolute diamond in the rough as is Duane Lowe the DC at FC. Both are young men who fit ALL of the criteria required for GP. I'd hate to see FC lose either man because of their ability to teach & mentor but would love to see both have the chance to build their own programs.

McNeal is a Goodpasture alum and would make sense but I don't see him leaving FC for GP unless there were a change in administration at GP. He has total control at FC in athletics and suffered through 20 yrs there to reach the level of success he's enjoyed the past 7 yrs. GP would never give him the same control Imo. The split is coming but until then he could lead GP back to a level required to beat TCA at least 50% of the time and lord knows he owns Watertown.

As for Atwood he is an absolute diamond in the rough as is Duane Lowe the DC at FC. Both are young men who fit ALL of the criteria required for GP. I'd hate to see FC lose either man because of their ability to teach & mentor but would love to see both have the chance to build their own programs.

Forgot to add Lowe to the list.  He would be great as well.  

Many of you just don't understand this. There will not be a single big name or quality coach show any interest until RP is out of the picture. Word has spread too fast in the coaching fraternity already about him and the admin. 

I disagree.  There will be plenty of good coaches apply.   There always is, especially with these type of jobs.  Regardless if RP is there or not.  I can assure you he is not the most inefficient President or Headmaster in Tennessee.  

He botched the Coach Martin and football situation, but he hit right on in boys basketball.   And Estep left on his own accord.  Whether is was work conditions, personality conflicts, or whatever, it was Coach Estep's decision to leave.   RP hired a pretty capable coach from a good program with Carter.  He can do the same in football.   

Goodpasture has not had a vast turnover in coaches, until he last couple of years.....so it has traditionally been a pretty good place to work.