Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

Smokestack and Fabs and other Goodpasture sports fans can possibly answer this question. I know a person in the media who covers HS sports and this person told me that it was understood that after the 2012 class left, the talent level dropped significantly and Martin or whomever the coach was would have a hard time doing better than 500 for 3 years or so. I looked at the record last year (6-6) and it appears to match the talent on last years team going by what the media person told me.Was 6-6 spot on in your opinion? This year is rough, but what if the current coach finishes with 3-4 wins, does this match the talent on the team? I know this is not Goodpasture standards, but every program has a talent drop every now and than. Not defending, just asking.

Smokestack and Fabs and other Goodpasture sports fans can possibly answer this question. I know a person in the media who covers HS sports and this person told me that it was understood that after the 2012 class left, the talent level dropped significantly and Martin or whomever the coach was would have a hard time doing better than 500 for 3 years or so. I looked at the record last year (6-6) and it appears to match the talent on last years team going by what the media person told me.Was 6-6 spot on in your opinion? This year is rough, but what if the current coach finishes with 3-4 wins, does this match the talent on the team? I know this is not Goodpasture standards, but every program has a talent drop every now and than. Not defending, just asking.

The 2012 class while talented, underachieved and obviously didn't play most of their senior season with the circus that went on.  I agree with your media friend, the talent did drop off, however not to a point where you should not be competitive, especially playing in 2A.  Granted, The schedule left for Coach Mote has not been an easy one. 

However, when you look at a couple of games (or if you have been to a couple) the deficiencies are glaring. 

1.) Losing to FRA in back to back seasons.  FRA is no better than 4th in the Division II-A East Side of the division. 

2.) Losing to Trousdale County 29-7 without their Mr. Football Candidate.  Trousdale just got beat 35-0 by FCS (a team we should be on par with).   I know comparing scores is not the best justification, but can be used for comparison.

3.)  The current offense is averaging 8.2 / ppg.  Watching the offense the last season and a half, I've watched versions of single wing, wing-t, etc.  There is no identity. 

The record is one thing, but there is more to it than that as mentioned in the previous posts. 

The 2012 class while talented, underachieved and obviously didn't play most of their senior season with the circus that went on. I agree with your media friend, the talent did drop off, however not to a point where you should not be competitive, especially playing in 2A. Granted, The schedule left for Coach Mote has not been an easy one.

However, when you look at a couple of games (or if you have been to a couple) the deficiencies are glaring.

1.) Losing to FRA in back to back seasons. FRA is no better than 4th in the Division II-A East Side of the division.

2.) Losing to Trousdale County 29-7 without their Mr. Football Candidate. Trousdale just got beat 35-0 by FCS (a team we should be on par with). I know comparing scores is not the best justification, but can be used for comparison.

3.) The current offense is averaging 8.2 / ppg. Watching the offense the last season and a half, I've watched versions of single wing, wing-t, etc. There is no identity.

The record is one thing, but there is more to it than that as mentioned in the previous posts.

Smokestack,

Any updates since the Lipscomb game? Saw the score on that one, did not look good for Goodpasture.

Smokestack,

Any updates since the Lipscomb game? Saw the score on that one, did not look good for Goodpasture.

Was not good for the Cougars.   Not fun losing to one of your biggest rivals 42-0.  This offense just can't score.   We are young and have had injuries, but that's not an excuse not to score.   You can't win any games if you can not put points on the board.  RBS traditionally has been down, but they have been competitive the last few years with Shoulders at HC.  Losing to RBS would absolutely be a deathblow. 

Was not good for the Cougars.   Not fun losing to one of your biggest rivals 42-0.  This offense just can't score.   We are young and have had injuries, but that's not an excuse not to score.   You can't win any games if you can not put points on the board.  RBS traditionally has been down, but they have been competitive the last few years with Shoulders at HC.  Losing to RBS would absolutely be a deathblow.

The fact that losing to RBS is even a thought let alone a reality should be a death blow. The GP's of the world do not lose to a small county school like RBS with its 4th string let alone starters.

Traditionally RBS has been worse than down...it's been plum awful.  Sportsfan is right, we should never compete with a team like Goodpasture.  Trousdale County and on some years Gordonsville should be the only teams in this area that should compete with Goodpasture.  Nothing would make me smile more than to see RBS take this one Friday night, I just hope I can make it out there for the game.