Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

You make some good points, and honestly I feel the pain for the Goodpasture fans too...just don't approve of some remarks made before, and the timeline of firing the coach. Take a step back and read the entire thread though, and it's plain to see what the most disturbing thing about the situation as a whole. This thread is about recruiting talent, not coaching ability...no mention of development of their young players at all. Make the program more appealing...our own kids are looking at other schools...got to have a big name coach to attract players...you do realize that you're playing in the public school division, right? Sheesh, at least the pro's have rights to trade players and the ability to hold players under contract...sounds like a complete free agent situation going on there.

I don't know how many times I have to explain this.....but there is no recruiting going on at a school like Goodpasture.   We don't have to recruit.  Our coaches don't recruit.  If they recruited, we would not be 0-10 in football in a weak 2A division.     Are there schools in Division II that recruit....yes.  Are we one of those schools....No.   If we were recruiting, we are not very good at it because we just got beat by RBS.  

Everyone realizes we are in the public school division.  Anyone that knows anything at Goodpasture knows that we do not offer financial aid at this point.  Can that change?  Yes.  But, just like anywhere else in Division II-A, they are not "athletic scholarships".......and aren't signing a recruiting class.  Again, around Madison, you have Whites Creek, Hunters Lane, Maplewood, East Nashville, etc.  There are people out there that want a better situation that can afford it.   You also have established programs like Beech and Hendersonville that are good situations.  

As I have posted, we have talent grades 5-8.  We don't have to recruit anyone.....just keep the players we have already in the school and hire a competent coach.  I have also posted we have no business in the public school league, and I'm sure the decision will be made next go round to go Division II.  Everyone is sick of hearing the "poor public school" argument.  Do you guys cry about Maryville, Alcoa, or the other open enrollment schools?  Be careful what you wish for when there is a complete split.  I promise you might not like it, especially if Division II leaves TSSAA altogether and starts their own governing body.    Goodpasture had to play Alcoa several years, and I never once heard anyone complain about their recruiting, or it isn't fair.......

I think Goodpasture fans need to step back and look at the situation Mote inherited.  Obviously in Martin's last year the team had a terrible year and many of the individuals who played or got suspended didn't return.  Moreover as this board llustrated the last few years of Martin's tenure were not rosy off the field.  Also Mote had a major staff shake up leading to instability in the program.  Moreover the last two years goodpastures talent is noticeably down from their better years.  Combine all those factors and boom you see a great deal for the lack of success.  Bottom line mote walked into a bad situation.  Now was he the guy to pilot through the trouble waters obviously not but from things on this board and words coming out of due west admin issues and internal issues abound.  For what its worth and I am not an expert on the situation currently they should probably hire and keep Andy McWilliams as head coach.  He knows the community and kids and obviously is a respected hold over on the staff.  Right now Goodpasture needs stability and a LEADER as much as a football guru. The GP program is in rebuilding mode and they will not return over night to wear they were or have been.  Sadly this happens to most coaches who follow a highly successful coach on the field who left the program in turmoil.  Things should be better for the next guy if history holds true. 

As for Chris Hill at Wynne?  He has had more jobs than any other coach around.  IF you google around you see he hasn't been at a school for more than 3 years ever.  Also Wyyne football from googling has a great football tradition and had a few down years.  They had a legendary coach I read about that ran the single wing.  Nobody wants a journeyman coach with a lack of commitment. 

As you are talking about Wynne sounds a lot like a school that this post is all about. Go look at how many different schools he has taken to the playoffs every year too. Yeah that's the way I would go about it. Let's not take a great coach that wins at every school he has been at, and continues to take over jobs that are known for mediocrity and turns them into winners because he might eventually leave. Let's take a mediocre coach with a losing record and continue to sink Goodpasture's football program even further than what is has already sunk because he won't leave until you fire him. Whether he stays forever or not I don't know but I do know he will change the mentality of that program in a hurry, and get them back to playing football. I also know he was very interested in the job and I am sure he still is. Maybe the Church of Christ guy wants to coach football and be part of a Church of Christ school.

No reason to talk about that aforementioned Coach he is gone and probably would of resigned at the end of the year.  I never said the Wynne? coach wasnt good I just said he has moved on from every job he has ever had and for most admin that is a red flag.  It takes away your credibility when you have coached at 8 schools and none of them more than 4 years when you say you want to retire at a school.   Moving on all of Goodpastures success has been in the wing t so it will be interesting to see if they hire a coach with that background.  Also junior high parents will always look around at school options and talk before high school that is nothing new. I imagine Mote wasn't the first choice last time so it will be interesting this time around. Obviously the situation still will be tough for the next guy but the right guy always make things right.  Very few schools get or have the right guy.  Good luck to Goodpasture and the Coach that is now at Wynne.

Well I don't figure after the "red flags" at Goodpasture that he would want the job now anyway but was just hoping to get him back in Tennessee and knew that was a job he was once interested in.

I don't know how many times I have to explain this.....but there is no recruiting going on at a school like Goodpasture.   We don't have to recruit.  Our coaches don't recruit.  If they recruited, we would not be 0-10 in football in a weak 2A division.     Are there schools in Division II that recruit....yes.  Are we one of those schools....No.   If we were recruiting, we are not very good at it because we just got beat by RBS.  

Everyone realizes we are in the public school division.  Anyone that knows anything at Goodpasture knows that we do not offer financial aid at this point.  Can that change?  Yes.  But, just like anywhere else in Division II-A, they are not "athletic scholarships".......and aren't signing a recruiting class.  Again, around Madison, you have Whites Creek, Hunters Lane, Maplewood, East Nashville, etc.  There are people out there that want a better situation that can afford it.   You also have established programs like Beech and Hendersonville that are good situations.  

As I have posted, we have talent grades 5-8.  We don't have to recruit anyone.....just keep the players we have already in the school and hire a competent coach.  I have also posted we have no business in the public school league, and I'm sure the decision will be made next go round to go Division II.  Everyone is sick of hearing the "poor public school" argument.  Do you guys cry about Maryville, Alcoa, or the other open enrollment schools?  Be careful what you wish for when there is a complete split.  I promise you might not like it, especially if Division II leaves TSSAA altogether and starts their own governing body.    Goodpasture had to play Alcoa several years, and I never once heard anyone complain about their recruiting, or it isn't fair.......

Three things.

One, most of the people who wanted out of Metro schools are already gone. Obviously GCS has alot but to think that there is a large untapped resource of potential of new students coming from Metro is wrong.

Two, Goodpastures location in Madison is farm from ideal.  Communities change. Davidson Academy, DCA and Ezell are all in the same boat when it comes to enrollment.

Three, Hendersonville, Beech, Station Camp, etc. are all good schools with solid programs. You are not going to get alot of kids from Sumner County.

Could always start a "work study" program at GP!

GCS already has a work study program in place. They have had one for some time.

Explain all you like,I'm just stating the very obvious. Go back through the entire thread and it's pretty clear...maybe Goodpasture doesn't recruit, but seems like everyone would like to tiptoe along that line if their comments represent their feelings.

As for Maryville and Alcoa, no I'm not concerned (crying) about their situation at all. The taxpayers of their county deserve the right to choose where their kids are educated (within the county), it's only fair, and it's the American way.

For the issue of privates leaving TSSAA and starting their own governing body...have at it! I for one couldn't care less if that happens.

URSUS is right about a lot of things. The Madison area is a dump! The people that started that school are all gone. The people that could have kept it going have moved away to Sumner and Williamson counties to name a few. DA and Ezell are finding out how tough it is too! DCA is hanging on, but it won't be long before that area goes down too!

Not sure you can just "make the change" to D2.  Also, at Goodpasture you aren't adding 15-20 players immediately.  It's not like these smaller private schools just go add a signing class.   We don't have to use the CPA model to compete.  No one wants to be or likes CPA, and we are not competing with them now....or in the future, and I'm not worried about their program. You simply have to have a competitive program, with an effective coaching staff.  There have been athletes in that school last year that could have helped in football.  Quite frankly, 3-4 kids on the basketball team last season would have been immediate starters.  

You can have a private school model and compete without the shenanigans of living with a pastor, using Nike EYBL teams to attract top talent, or make your basketball coach the admissions director.

Funny! This should be on the basketball board!

Explain all you like,I'm just stating the very obvious. Go back through the entire thread and it's pretty clear...maybe Goodpasture doesn't recruit, but seems like everyone would like to tiptoe along that line if their comments represent their feelings.

As for Maryville and Alcoa, no I'm not concerned (crying) about their situation at all. The taxpayers of their county deserve the right to choose where their kids are educated (within the county), it's only fair, and it's the American way.

For the issue of privates leaving TSSAA and starting their own governing body...have at it! I for one couldn't care less if that happens.

Considering you keep posting in this thread......you apparently care. 

The move to DIV II A for a private school is as simple as applying to the TSSAA and it could be done for the next school year as this is the year to do it for scheduling.  However if they put all the privates together which has come form many sources it will happen soon enough.  If I were GCS i would want to stay as long as possible and schedule wins in the non-region schedule. Outside Trousdale every year they should be competitive in the region they are in especially with the talent coming up because the move toe the D-II A Middle east region would be much tougher than where they are and have and even tougher time scheduling W's in the non-region.

I realize this is HS but if firing the HC before the season is over keeps the parents who are looking elsewhere, which is the the rumor for part of the decision, then I am for it.  It shows that the administration is concerned about the future of the school.  And as previously stated many privates are having trouble rebuilding their enrollment from years past.  Aside from the current situation I believe it has tremendous upside and will recover IF the right kind of hire is made, we will see.

+1