Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

Well said...

The whole program needs a complete overhaul.   That is why this hire is critical.  We can debate all day long whether Martin should have been let go or not, it's not going to change anything.   That was the first mistake, and then hiring Mote was a disaster.  Fact is that Coach Mote is a fine man, but is not a very good coach.  It's not his fault he was hired, he should have never been hired in the 1st place.  Watching the last 2 seasons has been a total disaster.  From the organization to the workouts to the offense.......it's all been terrible.  Losing to RBS was about as rock bottom as this program could go.

I look forward to the new coach and the future of GCS football.  

It is hard to believe that one person, the headmaster, was solely responsible for "running off" Coach Martin, especially against everyone else associated with Goodpasture as you infer. You are telling me that the HS Principal was totally against getting rid of Martin, the AD was against this move. You don't mention the board of directors, but I assume they were 100% against this move as well? If your response is yes, this person, the headmaster, has total control of the school without answering to anyone, then who hired this person? Did he just appear via osmosis? Wow, it's amazing GP even exists!!!

Again, I'm not saying that Coach Martin was and still is not a great coach, but let's not kid ourselves here, there has to be more folks with their hands in the cookie jar who run GP.

The board should not be involved in decision of hiring and firing anyone other than the headmaster.  They make large policy decisions primarily agreeing to not agreeing to proposals.  I too like nonutfan heard the same thing RP ran the whole show, I have also heard that he is not apart of the the new decision at all.  Not sure who made that decision but sounds like a good one.

The board should not be involved in decision of hiring and firing anyone other than the headmaster. They make large policy decisions primarily agreeing to not agreeing to proposals. I too like nonutfan heard the same thing RP ran the whole show, I have also heard that he is not apart of the the new decision at all. Not sure who made that decision but sounds like a good one.

Any updates on candidates? I don't believe the incumbent temp head coach will be considered since GP went scoreless in the three games he was in charge, however I could be wrong. Will a new coach be allowed to choose his staff?

The board should not be involved in decision of hiring and firing anyone other than the headmaster. They make large policy decisions primarily agreeing to not agreeing to proposals. I too like nonutfan heard the same thing RP ran the whole show, I have also heard that he is not apart of the the new decision at all. Not sure who made that decision but sounds like a good one.

One other question I have that I overlooked adding to the previous post. Can you explain your point again because it is confusing. You state that the board should stay out of day to day decisions and they should only hire/fire the headmaster( agree). The next part is confusing, you say RP is running the show. Then you say you heard he has been taken out of the FB coach decision. If the board did not take him out, then who did? Is there someone above the headmaster at GP? I know the board is above him, but you said the board should not be involved, correct? This is not logical and hard to follow. The only way this makes sense is if the headmaster voluntarily excused himself from the entire process. Is this what happened?

One other question I have that I overlooked adding to the previous post. Can you explain your point again because it is confusing. You state that the board should stay out of day to day decisions and they should only hire/fire the headmaster( agree). The next part is confusing, you say RP is running the show. Then you say you heard he has been taken out of the FB coach decision. If the board did not take him out, then who did? Is there someone above the headmaster at GP? I know the board is above him, but you said the board should not be involved, correct? This is not logical and hard to follow. The only way this makes sense is if the headmaster voluntarily excused himself from the entire process. Is this what happened?

I apologize for the confusion after rereading I agree.  From what I am told, can only assume realiable, that RP ran off Martin and hired Mote against all others.  But from a candidate and another source RP is not involved this time around not sure who is keeping him out or why.  The only two names I have heard are both still coaching in the playoffs which could potentianlly slow down the process.

Any updates on candidates? I don't believe the incumbent temp head coach will be considered since GP went scoreless in the three games he was in charge, however I could be wrong. Will a new coach be allowed to choose his staff?

The assistant coach that admirably filled in the final three games is not interested in being the head coach.

I apologize for the confusion after rereading I agree. From what I am told, can only assume realiable, that RP ran off Martin and hired Mote against all others. But from a candidate and another source RP is not involved this time around not sure who is keeping him out or why. The only two names I have heard are both still coaching in the playoffs which could potentianlly slow down the process.

Thanks, did not intend to be offending in my question, just trying to figure out who is really in charge over there.

In hindsight, it appears to from speaking to several associated with GP, if both sides would have given in a little and buried some pride, Martin would still be coaching. It was a big mistake to let it come to this. Martin may have had some things which rubbed people the wrong way, but no one could question his loyalty to GP.

I still don't believe this years team would have won more than 2-3 games at the most even with Martin there, but I understand last years team had enough talent to win it all.

Thanks, did not intend to be offending in my question, just trying to figure out who is really in charge over there.

In hindsight, it appears to from speaking to several associated with GP, if both sides would have given in a little and buried some pride, Martin would still be coaching. It was a big mistake to let it come to this. Martin may have had some things which rubbed people the wrong way, but no one could question his loyalty to GP.

I still don't believe this years team would have won more than 2-3 games at the most even with Martin there, but I understand last years team had enough talent to win it all.

Regardless on which side of the fence you are on the Martin situation, this was totally the case. 

Back to the candidates......Think admin is targeting a couple of names at this point from what I've heard, including Joslin, Dewayne Alexander, and a former midstate HC coaching in another state.  Also, a couple of coaches still coaching in the playoffs as well. 

Edited by SmokeStackI

SmokeStackI - Where are you getting your information?  Everyone I've talked to doesn't know who has applied or interviewed, just curious.  Who is doing the hiring?  Perry, Judd, Parnell? Do you have an inside connection?  Alexander would be great, doesn't his son play for him at Tech though?  Would he leave Tech if so?  Who is the former coach in another state?  Keep the info coming, just was wondering how you knew what was going on, because I haven't heard anything.

SmokeStackI - Where are you getting your information?  Everyone I've talked to doesn't know who has applied or interviewed, just curious.  Who is doing the hiring?  Perry, Judd, Parnell? Do you have an inside connection?  Alexander would be great, doesn't his son play for him at Tech though?  Would he leave Tech if so?  Who is the former coach in another state?  Keep the info coming, just was wondering how you knew what was going on, because I haven't heard anything.

There are a good amount of candidates for this job.  I do believe moving back to 3A was kind of a down point for certain candidates.  Alexander would be a quality hire, but he is always applying for other jobs and I don't think he would be a long-term fit.  2 other names that I'd keep an eye on are the OC at CPA, I think his name is Haywood....and BGA assistant David Peden. 

I can not confirm or deny who is doing the hiring, but from sources RP and a couple of board members are in charge of search. 

There are a good amount of candidates for this job.  I do believe moving back to 3A was kind of a down point for certain candidates.  Alexander would be a quality hire, but he is always applying for other jobs and I don't think he would be a long-term fit.  2 other names that I'd keep an eye on are the OC at CPA, I think his name is Haywood....and BGA assistant David Peden. 

I can not confirm or deny who is doing the hiring, but from sources RP and a couple of board members are in charge of search. 

Your information is correct...  There are various reasons for his coaching moves. His son does play for him at TTU. If he were to get the job, I can assure you he would stay at GP for a long time. He has two younger sons (twins) in the 5th grade that would move to GP. He can turn a program around quickly (exanple: Wilson Central and Cumberland University).