Refrees

onetworemember

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling this thread will get locked pretty quick, so I better get my 2 cents in.

Alcoa has had the same crew at the past 3 home games. I think they're from the Chattanooga area. Let's just say we have significantly more penalties/penalty yards than our opponent. My only assumption is that Rankin is trying to prepare the team for some of the Knoxville officials we'll see twice in Cedar Bluff (this is NOT a reflection on CAK or Catholic, 2 of the classiest programs I've seen).

When officials make numerous calls against Alcoa, it's not the coaches or school they're hurting, it's the kids. I'm sure this is a problem everywhere, but that doesn't make it okay. When officiating gets personal, it's all downhill from there.

Spelling aside, I think one of the problems is that there are so few younger men who are willing to become referees.  I mean, who would want to take the verbal abuse that comes with the job for a hundred bucks or so each week?  Not many.  This leaves the old fat guys who can't run trying to make calls 20 yards or so away from the action.  And like crow6424 says, "They are amateur at what they are doing and get paid as so. They do a good job for the amount of experience and training that they get."  Have you ever called a game?  Let me tell you it's hard!  I ref'ed one game years ago (no training or experience) and I'll never do it again.  You would think you could see a violation that occurs right under your nose but you are so focused on what is happening with the ball carrier that all other vision is blurred.  Kinda like tunnel vision.  The coachs wanted me thrown out of the game but there was no one, in a crowd that numbered well of a hundred, who would come in a take over.  I went to the game to watch my girl be a cheer leader and when the regular ref was delayed I was asked to take over.  I was so glad when he showed up.  As I left the field I was booed and jeered and many comments made about my eyesight.  NEVER again will I referee a game.  I say THANK YOU to those who do brave the fans and go on the field.  Good, bad or otherwise, unless YOU are willing to do the job don't say a word about the referees.

Edited by pdpotts

Refrees is what you do when you thaw out too much chikin breast.

No it's when you escape, get caught, then escape again.

Seriously, just having fun - I have mistyped on here plenty of times.

When the playing and coaching at the high school level gets perfect, then the refs will, which is never. I agree that for what those guys make, I don't know why they subject themselves to the criticism. Like AlcoaBB said, the only time I have a problem is when they are obviously biased, and I have seen that happen 3-4 times in the last 20 years at CPA. I will never forget one year (2001?)at Collinwood when the refs stole a playoff game from us on 2 phantom interference calls on the last drive by Collinwood. Coach Fisher's son was targeted on one of those calls and Fisher chased the refs to their locker room after the game. Bet he appreciated NFL refs more after that.

As the son of a ref I can tell you that the majority who do it does it because they enjoy high school football games.  When I have talked to him and other refs they always tell me that when they get a game like Alcoa or a big rivalry game it's a lot of fun because of the environment.  They do get heckled a lot, but the positives out weigh the negatives...where else can you get paid to go to a football game you enjoy seeing and be that close to the action?  They pay is not that bad either!  Almost all of these guys aren't just reffing high school football games.  They usually get a Jr. High game and pee wee games on Saturday.  200 or so $$$$ isn't that bad for about 8 or 9 hours of work that you can get some enjoyment out of.