Halls vs. Powell, Rival game

RedD

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also...I would be remiss if I didn't say Matt has the perfect skills for a Private. Dont ya think?  Hope your doing well and no more cracks about Webb now. :rolleyes:

Robbie, the only cracks ever from me about Webb were based on the fact that they beat us 4 years in a row, and I didn't like that very much. And with the talent Powell had during that run, and the talent Webb had that should have never happened. In fact, I have nothing but respect for Webb and Coach Meske. They are always one of the better coached and most disiplined football teams in the state. And I also respect that they play where they should be playing as a Division 2 schools, instead of playing the charade that some - and I emphasize some and not all - of the private schools who play in Division 1 do in clamining that they don't give financial aid. Webb does it the way the should be done, and all the respect in the world to them because of it.

As for Matt, he's a perfect fit, yes. TKA is also a D2 school playing where they should be playing, and Matt's repuation as a solid football coach has attracted some athletes to that school already. And as a D2 school athletes can receive need based financial aid, as I understand it. He'll continue to do a great job there.

So Ive got to ask...with all that success why did you need a coach?

The Powell coaching timeline has been well documented over the past 4 years. Both Lowe and Kilgore moved on to better career opportunities - after taking a year off, Lowe continues to build a D2 program at TKA "from scratch," while Kilgore took an admin position at Karns (while continuing to coach football). IMO, Powell was fortunate to get Derek Rang after Lowe's exit. He was young, but he was a good coach, and he fully grasped that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. I won't rehash the details surrounding his resignation, but I think most people will admit that he was left to twist in the wind while KCS waited and waited to make a decision on his future (following that testing issue). I don't blame him at all for his proactive decision to leave KCS and pursue other opportunities - he became a GA at Carson-Newman the following season, and he is now the head coach at Dresden.

I knew next to nothing about John Allen when Powell/KCS hired him. Unfortunately, my first impression of the guy was immediately after spring practice when Allen decided to part ways with the offensive coordinator that he had just hired (the DC, who was also a new hire, went with him). The spread offense, as a result, was scrapped for the wing-t. Since then, things have gotten ugly. The roster is half the size of what it was last season - some kids just decided not to play this season (or play other sports), while some have moved on to other programs. I have had the misfortunate of talking to a number of parents who are not happy, for one reason or another; I don't usually pay any attention to the complaints about offensive/defensive systems, playing time, etc, but there's a lot more going on that is troubling. Community support is way down this year (winning a single game has certainly effected that), and I've even seen a ton of uncharacteristic penalties this year - specifically delay of game penalties following timeouts and changes of possession. I'm not the kind of guy that likes to judge a coach solely on wins/losses, particularly in his first couple of seasons. However, my frustrations have everything to do with the stuff that is going on behind the scenes; with everything that I've seen/heard, I just don't know how long Allen will survive. I’m just hoping that he can settle things down after his first season, and maybe show some improvement next year.

den, lets not get ahead of our self here, we are getting better for sure but, this team as to be ready to play a whole game, if we get Powell it will be a great win then it will be time to move on to the next one, I hope we roll but just to play a complete game and win will be good for me.