UC Golden Tornadoes

Elijahrock

Actually after looking at the new enrollment numbers and list of teams, it may be best to stay in 1A for travel reasons.  Maybe pick up some of the 3A teams for non-region games.

Actually after looking at the new enrollment numbers and list of teams, it may be best to stay in 1A for travel reasons.  Maybe pick up some of the 3A teams for non-region games.

what's the distance of the closest 2A team to Union City?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Union City need to move up to 2A. Potential Playoff matchups with soon to be 2A Alcoa would be interesting.

Union City deserves al the hype for last year and this years team (same group of special athletes), which will take something short of a miracle to stop repeat champ.  However, don't go drinking that funny kook-aid and think UC is ready for Alcoa year in and year out.  JV games do matter they tell the attitude/potential for mental and physical make up of a group of players.  Huntingdon has beaten UC JV for past two years badly by 3 td's.  Enjoy this season as next might not be so memorable even if you do beat Huntingdon next year which I just say right now from how bad they beat UC last 2 years in JV would as well be a miracle, they will never be on Alcos's level on a consistent basis unless you start recruiting farther than your own county, lol.

Union City deserves al the hype for last year and this years team (same group of special athletes), which will take something short of a miracle to stop repeat champ.  However, don't go drinking that funny kook-aid and think UC is ready for Alcoa year in and year out.  JV games do matter they tell the attitude/potential for mental and physical make up of a group of players.  Huntingdon has beaten UC JV for past two years badly by 3 td's.  Enjoy this season as next might not be so memorable even if you do beat Huntingdon next year which I just say right now from how bad they beat UC last 2 years in JV would as well be a miracle, they will never be on Alcos's level on a consistent basis unless you start recruiting farther than your own county, lol.

Come on man. You have seen what there is to choose from down there. That pond is fished dry. Don't want any of them.

You crack me up.  Union City has basically OWNED Huntingdon in the series.  Yes...each time we play it is usually good games but.....   Yes, you have blown us away in a game or two.  Lets just say we NEVER rebuild, we RELOAD !.  Your team should be very good the next two years for sure.  But at the same time....you never know.  Excuse me.....we did play Alcoa when we were in Class 2 A and lost on a bad call at the end of the 2 A Championship game.  We lost 13 - 10.  Now, I will say this....There is only one or two teams west of the Tennessee River that would beat Union City this year....Liberty Tech and Henry County.  It wouldn't make any difference of who we played.  Not smash or trash talkin' here...just stating the facts.  These kind of teams do not come around every year so let us enjoy our time.  Until then.....we are still the Defending state champions and have a 18 or 19 game winning streak going. 

That is the problem with 1A and 2A teams, they will have a few years where they are down then along comes a special group of kids that make a good long playoff run. Hard to beat what UC has done last year, along with this year, if they win a title again that is a amazing group of young men . Personally, I think UC, Huntingdon, Adamsville and possibly Trenton will have strong teams year in and year out. Because, they have the talent pool and the coaching to keep them there. I'm really proud that west TN has closed the gap on the east side of the state!

Edited by ysoangry

Union City need to move up to 2A. Potential Playoff matchups with soon to be 2A Alcoa would be interesting.

That move will never happen, unless Alcoa stays in 3a, and Union city decides 2a is easier to win than 1a.  Union city came in at 397 in enrollment. wow isnt that amazing,. just under the wire.  They control their numbers using the 4a school 8 miles down the road. anyone signing up once they hit 399 gets sent on down the road.  Outside of just straight out bringing in guys from other counties , l.ike Alcoa does, Union City has created the perfect loophole.  It is really kin to the magnet school theory , that has propelled east nash.  Only difference between what Alcoa and Union City does is that Alcoa admits it and Union city tries to act like they are just a little ol, 1a school trying to get by.  Union city and adamsville use the county wide open enrollment policy better than anyone.  

That move will never happen, unless Alcoa stays in 3a, and Union city decides 2a is easier to win than 1a. Union city came in at 397 in enrollment. wow isnt that amazing,. just under the wire. They control their numbers using the 4a school 8 miles down the road. anyone signing up once they hit 399 gets sent on down the road. Outside of just straight out bringing in guys from other counties , l.ike Alcoa does, Union City has created the perfect loophole. It is really kin to the magnet school theory , that has propelled east nash. Only difference between what Alcoa and Union City does is that Alcoa admits it and Union city tries to act like they are just a little ol, 1a school trying to get by. Union city and adamsville use the county wide open enrollment policy better than anyone.

I noticed you didn't mention SP and the other middle and east 1&2A that do the same

Sorry , I didnt mean to leave anyone out, but you are right.  Open enrollment and Work Study have no business in 1 or 2 A and there are multiple offenders  Union City's situation is just so perfect because they are in the heart of their population so kids arent forced to drive further, like Adamsville and South Pitt .  In Adamsville the kids are driving right though Selmer to get to adamsville.  Its a travesty that they are allowed to set it up that way..