Who will Powell get for a coach now?

vol4life2

Sorry that wasn't directed at the fans by no means but the group that had a part in it. I do hate it badly for your fans to be dealing with this mess. We always enjoyed playing Powell and personally hate what is going on. I should of made my self more clear that the actions they took against Rang just put everything in a hole and the blame for all the mess afterwards lays squarely on their shoulders. I didn't care at all for the pick they brought in in the first place and if you go dig up some of my older post you will see that. GQ makes a good check because he is the AD and football coach. There are only two or three coaches in the state that could demand that type of money and GQ is one of them.

Spot on.

Double spot on. Derek did a good job in his year at Powell, and if not for the testing issue he would still be the coach at Powell and Powell would likely be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Derek was smart enough not to change what was successful before he got there.

I have known Coach Allen for years, and I have never known him intentionally put a kid in danger. He has worked his tail off every where he has been. Thing about Coach Allen is he tells it like it is, or at least the way he sees it. I have never had a problem with him, and know for a fact he is a very good coach. Coach Allen will not have a problem finding a new job. I would say Powell has a bigger problem than he does.

I have known Coach Allen for years, and I have never known him intentionally put a kid in danger. He has worked his tail off every where he has been. Thing about Coach Allen is he tells it like it is, or at least the way he sees it. I have never had a problem with him, and know for a fact he is a very good coach. Coach Allen will not have a problem finding a new job. I would say Powell has a bigger problem than he does.

While I don't think Allen did a particularly good job @ Powell I do think their are some underlying issues going on @ Powell that goes beyond mere coaching. You don't have 4 coaches in 4 years without their being some kind of underlying issue with the administration there. Allen certainly didn't do himself any favors though by running off assistant coaches and players, not to mention the radio guy (Just what I have heard) And the whole issue with making the frosh players stand on the fence a week ago was absurd and then this latest incident if it really happened was the straw that broke the camels back. I'm not here to demean anyone's character Mr. Allen may very well be a great man for all I know, but he surely didn't do himself any favors with some of the choices he made while HC @ Powell, that's for sure.

Edited by SweetScience

I'm not sure where you observed his coaching skills but I'm glad he did a good job, but what I as well as anyone else who follows Panther football will tell you is that we got WORSE each week because after each loss he took over more facets of the team. With either Rang or Kilgore we would have been 6-4/ 5-5 this season. Heck, with the Coordinators we had in the spring we might have won 6 but he was bound and determined to run his proclaimed Wing-T so he got rid of the OC and the DC said see ya in the same meeting. As for his Wing-T, Webb runs the Wing-T, we run a bunch of poorly schemed plays out of a formation that resembled a Wing T. As for the rest I guess we will just have to wait and see, imo.......90% of Powell's problem will be gone when the smoke clears.

Agreed.

I don't know John Allen personally. However, I'm pretty familiar with the Powell program. This year has been an absolute train wreck for Powell, both on and off the field. If you know the timeline over the past 3-4 years, you'd know this is a KCS issue a lot more than a Powell problem.

From what I've seen/heard, Allen is great in the classroom, which KCS loves. Others have certainly vouched for him, outside of Knoxville. Everything I've seen points to this guy being a total control freak. This wouldn't be that big of a deal if the kids were buying what he was selling or if he even had a decent track record (I'm not talking about nice guys going 1-9). But where is all of that? The stuff that has gone on behind the scenes at Powell this season has everything to do with Allen wanting to have control of everything. Again, I don't have a huge problem with that, if you can have some success.

Coming in to 2014, Powell wasn't going to win their district, but they were good enough to win 5-6 games. I'm not going to criticize his offensive style (it's obvious he can't decide what identity he wants this team to have). Heck, I even recognize that struggles usually come with coaching/philosophy changes. However, the roster turnover before the season was alarming, and everything I've been told points to him as the culprit. A lot of the kids just didn't want to play for him, after everything that happened in the spring/summer.

I had zero opinion of Allen when Powell hired him. I won't get into the off-field details on a message board, but at this point, I'd just like to see him move on. I think it would be best for everyone involved. If he's the guy some people say he is, he'll land on his feet somewhere.

I don't know John Allen personally. However, I'm pretty familiar with the Powell program. This year has been an absolute train wreck for Powell, both on and off the field. If you know the timeline over the past 3-4 years, you'd know this is a KCS issue a lot more than a Powell problem.

From what I've seen/heard, Allen is great in the classroom, which KCS loves. Others have certainly vouched for him, outside of Knoxville. Everything I've seen points to this guy being a total control freak. This wouldn't be that big of a deal if the kids were buying what he was selling or if he even had a decent track record (I'm not talking about nice guys going 1-9). But where is all of that? The stuff that has gone on behind the scenes at Powell this season has everything to do with Allen wanting to have control of everything. Again, I don't have a huge problem with that, if you can have some success.

Coming in to 2014, Powell wasn't going to win their district, but they were good enough to win 5-6 games. I'm not going to criticize his offensive style (it's obvious he can't decide what identity he wants this team to have). Heck, I even recognize that struggles usually come with coaching/philosophy changes. However, the roster turnover before the season was alarming, and everything I've been told points to him as the culprit. A lot of the kids just didn't want to play for him, after everything that happened in the spring/summer.

I had zero opinion of Allen when Powell hired him. I won't get into the off-field details on a message board, but at this point, I'd just like to see him move on. I think it would be best for everyone involved. If he's the guy some people say he is, he'll land on his feet somewhere.

Your right and you never wish bad on anyone. I don't want to see Powell turn into a Karns because there is a lot of good football history there. The fans there need to get together and run a blowtorch up someone's hind end before it does.

Your right and you never wish bad on anyone. I don't want to see Powell turn into a Karns because there is a lot of good football history there. The fans there need to get together and run a blowtorch up someone's hind end before it does.

Thanks Barney. More than anything, I hate this for the kids that have had to deal with this. It's a shame the way things ended with Derek Rang. I really liked his potential.

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2014/oct/20/gossett-blog-there-validity-tssaas-18-multiplier/?sportspreps

I figured I'd add this to the thread. Ward Gossett, of the Times Free Press, wrote in his prep blog today that "[Chattanooga] Central followers probably won't be surprised by this next item involving John Allen, the Pounders' former coach..."

Edited by osunut2