William Blount 2015

Governm

I have to disagree with you. Just from looking at some of the kids I've seen walking around at heritage ball games, all the athletes are on the field or court. There's just a bunch of toothpicks and fat boys in the school. The culture of the student body in Blount county doesn't value academic or athletic success; it values riding around in a truck drinking beer and smoking pot. This of course isn't everyone, but at least a large portion of them. A majority of the households in Blount county that value things such as academics and athletics, who have the money, send their kids , understandably, to city school systems or private schools. So who ever the head coaches are, they not only have to change the culture of a program, but the culture of an entire county.

I can't speak for heritage but I do know that William Blount is a pretty good school that has some great teachers. I know this because I was there not too long ago. So I don't think it's fair to say that the culture at Blount Co schools doesn't encourage academic success. It may be that way at heritage but WB is a good school, atleast I thought so. As for football.... WB already has the athletes on the field to win games and be a regular playoff team. The problem has been a lack of discipline and not putting forth the same effort every friday night. I think the Govs need a coach who can bring discipline and inspire them to give 110% every friday night and maybe they can find a few more athletes that might be roaming the halls.

I can't speak for heritage but I do know that William Blount is a pretty good school that has some great teachers. I know this because I was there not too long ago. So I don't think it's fair to say that the culture at Blount Co schools doesn't encourage academic success. It may be that way at heritage but WB is a good school, atleast I thought so. As for football.... WB already has the athletes on the field to win games and be a regular playoff team. The problem has been a lack of discipline and not putting forth the same effort every friday night. I think the Govs need a coach who can bring discipline and inspire them to give 110% every friday night and maybe they can find a few more athletes that might be roaming the halls.

I'm not trying to say the school system doesn't encourage sucess, but that the lethargic attitude and mind set comes from the home life. I believe heritage and WB are both successful schools academically, and heritage provided me with the foundation to earn my degree. But asking a school and football program to overcome a student's attitude which has been ingrained over 15-18 years is next to impossible. I do believe that members of the heritage community lost their value of sucess more than a decade or so ago, and that process has taken longer to spread to WB. As far back as I can remember watching heritage play WB, I can remember WB always having better athletes and linemen than heritage. This year while watching the game, I honestly thought heritage would win because WB didn't have the advantage in athletes. That along with players discipline, I think, shows the same attitude is occurring at WB. It's a county problem not just a school problem.

I have to disagree with you. Just from looking at some of the kids I've seen walking around at heritage ball games, all the athletes are on the field or court. There's just a bunch of toothpicks and fat boys in the school. The culture of the student body in Blount county doesn't value academic or athletic success; it values riding around in a truck drinking beer and smoking pot. This of course isn't everyone, but at least a large portion of them. A majority of the households in Blount county that value things such as academics and athletics, who have the money, send their kids , understandably, to city school systems or private schools. So who ever the head coaches are, they not only have to change the culture of a program, but the culture of an entire county.

BC995,

The thing is teenagers are usually lazy and will take the path of least resistance if you let them. That's why it's important that their teachers and coaches provide structure and discipline, especially if the kids aren't getting it at home. There are kids at every high school in America that drink,party, and experiment with drugs. That even goes on at Maryville and Alcoa. I know for a fact that some starters on maryville's football team would party when I was in high school. Most teens will do that to some extent. But if they have a good coach they will show up for work-outs, practices,and games focused and ready to play.

Edited by Governors91

You forgot to put lol after your post. If your serious about your post it's the most ignorant thing I have ever read.

Maybe it's a case of him not having the right assistant coaches 

Look...until these NO LOADS that you guys call assistants at Heritage and WB are relieved of their duties, there will BE NO significant progress.

Ridge and Ham may be the perfect fit for each of those positions, but until they can  get their coaches in and get rid of these "hanger-oners" that have the same 1-9, 2-8 mentality that has been there for however long, nothing changes.

Geez, one coach at WB was my freshman coach.....that was in 1982.

You do the math.

• Upvote 1

Look...until these NO LOADS that you guys call assistants at Heritage and WB are relieved of their duties, there will BE NO significant progress.

Ridge and Ham may be the perfect fit for each of those positions, but until they can get their coaches in and get rid of these "hanger-oners" that have the same 1-9, 2-8 mentality that has been there for however long, nothing changes.

Geez, one coach at WB was my freshman coach.....that was in 1982.

You do the math.

Maybe the assistants are a big part of the problem, IDK.. But I will tell you this.... I went out onto the field after we won at Lenoir City and listened to Ridge's post game "speech" and it was weak, there's no other way to say it. The Govs had just won 3 games in a row after starting 0-3 and I saw no enthusiasm or passion out of him. He just sounded monotone and said "who knows what can happen next week if we go out and try our best". The team did not seem very excited or pumped up either.... They went out next week and got blown out 70-14... I want to give Ridge the benefit of the doubt but based off of several things I have seen I don't think he is the answer. Edited by Governors91

APB,

On second thought. The Govs actually have alot of new blood on the coaching staff. They got guys like Brad Cochran, Randall Davis, and Byron Moore. And I almost forgot Snodderly. I like all of those guys, but I couldn't tell you anything about the rest of them. Cochran and Davis played on good WB teams, and Snodderly was an assistant when meadows was at WB. And Byron Moore is a former UT player and that is pretty cool IMO. I think all of those guys bring alot to the table.

Edited by Governors91