Soddy Daisy vs. Oak Ridge 1st Round

boyfromsi

Pltayoff time is so exciting. The atmosphere at the Ship cannot be beat anywhere. I am sure there are better fields, better stands but there is no better place than Blankenship Field to experience everything that makes high school football great.

Roll Wildcats Roll

Speaking of nice stadiums.... Soddy has a really cool stadium. They also have a pretty good fanbase. It should be a good atmosphere tomorrow night. I'm thinking about heading up there to see it.

There are several great places to play. I guess I was referring to places, geographical locations that have a lot of personality in and of themselves. I have been to Blankenship when there wasn't another person there and the place seems to talk to you.

And I'll be happy to see all those nice young men in their clean white coats.... ( not a football reference just dry... very dry attempt at humor.

But seriously how many places have the personality that Blankenship field has for their players and fans.

There are several great places to play. I guess I was referring to places, geographical locations that have a lot of personality in and of themselves. I have been to Blankenship when there wasn't another person there and the place seems to talk to you.

And I'll be happy to see all those nice young men in their clean white coats.... ( not a football reference just dry... very dry attempt at humor.

But seriously how many places have the personality that Blankenship field has for their players and fans.

I feel the same, Wildman. Have been there when not a soul was there myself and you're right. You can just feel the history reverberating through there without a game even being played. Lots of great players have stepped out onto that field, not to mention Steve Spurrier when he played for Science Hill along with many other former Wildcats and great players from other teams. Then you have Big Ed's, which has tons of tradition in and of itself and with both of those combined and Historic Jackson Square (The original downtown area of OR in WW2) you just have a lot of history and tradition.

Trojans' Maynor near 3,000 passing yards

{C}"Hunter Maynor 3K" wasn't an expectation for the Soddy-Daisy quarterback entering the 2014 season, but he's very close to making that passing-yardage total a reality.

Maynor enters tonight's Class 5A playoff first-round game at Oak Ridge 18 yards away from the 3,000-yard mark for the season. His current total of 2,982 yards has tied the all-time city passing record, set last season by East Hamilton senior Hunter Moore, now at FCS university Central Arkansas. Maynor also has 29 touchdown passes.

He's spread the ball out. Blake Smith has 53 catches for an area-leading 1,135 yards and 13 touchdowns, while Tre Carter and Levi Thornton each has 42 receptions. Running back Christian Bell has 34 catches.

"I have to give credit to my receivers. They're the ones that get me yards," Maynor said. "At the beginning of the season, I didn't think 3,000 yards was a possibility; I thought maybe I could get 2,500 yards and maybe 25 touchdowns."

Soddy-Daisy coach Justin Barnes said the growth from Maynor's first season as starting quarterback to this season has been tremendous.

"You can tell that he's more comfortable and knows where to go with the ball," said Barnes, a former quarterback at Red Bank. "He's done a phenomenal job getting the ball to our guys, and has been good taking what the defense has given him."

The 4-6 Trojans will enter tonight's game as heavy underdogs against the undefeated Wildcats, but that doesn't rattle Maynor or the rest of the team.

"We know that Oak Ridge is a good ballclub. You always hear about them this time of year, but it's the playoffs and anything can happen," Maynor said. "If we can keep it close, we can put ourselves in a position to pull it out in the end."