Dobyns-Bennett at Science Hill... Part 2

Only thing i heard him say is "this team would have been better off if i would have stayed at home the first quater" I thought that was kinda funny !

I'm not saying our defense couldn't be better.Last night our defense played a huge role in getting us going with the return as well as the game ender to bail out the offense.I didn't hear a lot of what coach said,but I'm sure he probably thought we went away from the run to early with those roll outs.However,the two touchdowns were huge at the half,so we could pound the ball more to start the second half after a defensive stop.

Edited by kingindian33

You a Topper fan and if you are.. what has been Science Hill's defensive problems. I think their offense is so explosive, their defense stays winded.

The inconsistency is maddening. Up front, SH has gotten stronger vs the run as the year went on. Last night vs. BC they got yards on scrambles and busts. The pass D seems confused. Guys run wide open, missed/busted coverages you name it. They gave up two TD'S in 26 seconds at the end of the half...guys going for the selfish INT instead of knocking it down. If SH plays a good QB he will shred them passing.

The inconsistency is maddening. Up front, SH has gotten stronger vs the run as the year went on. Last night vs. BC they got yards on scrambles and busts. The pass D seems confused. Guys run wide open, missed/busted coverages you name it. They gave up two TD'S in 26 seconds at the end of the half...guys going for the selfish INT instead of knocking it down. If SH plays a good QB he will shred them passing.

No, he was asking about Science Hills defense. You just described DB's defense.

It was a pretty disappointing performance on both sides of the ball last night for SH even though we did score 59 points our offense had too many penalties, blocks in the back and holds along with a few false starts.  Need to clean those up.

We lost yet another onside kick when a kid jumped up trying to bat the ball instead of letting it go back to the next level and turning upfield and blocking.  Better have the hands team on every kick.

Kick off teams were terrible when the ball did not go into the end zone, seemed like they started past their own 40 yard line every time.  Cold nights means it is very hard to kick it into the end zone.  We better get that fixed and get use to the ball being run back instead of downed in the end zone.

The defense actually played the run very well last night except for the QB delayed runs.  The QB from BC was an outstanding talent as a Soph.  Great feet and a good arm, he will only get better. Very impressive.   

The  biggest disappointment however was the play of the defensive backs.  I asked my son if they were in zone coverage all night and he said no mostly man, hard to believe man coverage could ever look like that.  Seemed they all were standing around staring at each other instead of making a play on the ball.  The TD to end the half, once the kid caught the ball at the 10 yard line no one tackled him and the clock had expired.  Just terrible effort.

The thing about last night that really was sad to see was the lack of community support for the kids, empty stands after the kids have worked their butts off this year.  Not sure what to say except it is hard to believe you would have just a couple hundred people show up for a playoff game.  The city should be ashamed it can't muster support for its high school football team.  I am sure it will be different this Friday at least on the visitors side but I have my doubts anyone from JC will be willing to sit in the cold and cheer the kids on...sad commentary.

Tough to beat a team twice in a season especially when you play them twice in three weeks but this team is special in many ways so I have faith they can do it!  Go Toppers!!

Acumen, according to what I was told from a few friends, the stands in Kingsport were looking emptier than usual for their playoff game Friday night as well. I understand your point about the community coming out to support the kids (and I'm not saying I don't agree with you) but face it, unless you've got a kid playing, you're not likely to just choose to go sit in 30-40 degree weather to watch a high school football game. That's just too cold for most people to sit out in for 2+ hrs, especially when a lot of those people usually have their kids with them or are 50 and over. 

As for the game vs BC the other night. A few of the players admitted in their tv news interviews and in the newspaper that they had indeed overlooked the game vs BC. They said although they were told by coaches all week not to do so, they already had DB on their minds.

Edited by Aussie2TN

Aussie I guess you are correct on the cold but having played in the midwest where temps in the 30s bring out shorts, flip flops and t-shirts and we always had a packed house because high school sports was just as big as the University programs it was disappointing...at least they could come for a half on senior night and show support.  Hopefully the community will rally this week because cold weather is here to stay I am afraid.

The game against BC was a gut check and the kids know every game from here on out will take Brentwood Academy type effort to get to keep playing the next Friday.

Go Toppers!!

That is wrong. The people need to come out and support them. I hope we have a good crowd for both sides. These kids deserve for both teams.

It was a pretty disappointing performance on both sides of the ball last night for SH even though we did score 59 points our offense had too many penalties, blocks in the back and holds along with a few false starts. Need to clean those up.

We lost yet another onside kick when a kid jumped up trying to bat the ball instead of letting it go back to the next level and turning upfield and blocking. Better have the hands team on every kick.

Kick off teams were terrible when the ball did not go into the end zone, seemed like they started past their own 40 yard line every time. Cold nights means it is very hard to kick it into the end zone. We better get that fixed and get use to the ball being run back instead of downed in the end zone.

The defense actually played the run very well last night except for the QB delayed runs. The QB from BC was an outstanding talent as a Soph. Great feet and a good arm, he will only get better. Very impressive.

The biggest disappointment however was the play of the defensive backs. I asked my son if they were in zone coverage all night and he said no mostly man, hard to believe man coverage could ever look like that. Seemed they all were standing around staring at each other instead of making a play on the ball. The TD to end the half, once the kid caught the ball at the 10 yard line no one tackled him and the clock had expired. Just terrible effort.

The thing about last night that really was sad to see was the lack of community support for the kids, empty stands after the kids have worked their butts off this year. Not sure what to say except it is hard to believe you would have just a couple hundred people show up for a playoff game. The city should be ashamed it can't muster support for its high school football team. I am sure it will be different this Friday at least on the visitors side but I have my doubts anyone from JC will be willing to sit in the cold and cheer the kids on...sad commentary.

Tough to beat a team twice in a season especially when you play them twice in three weeks but this team is special in many ways so I have faith they can do it! Go Toppers!!

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying.If it was a little warmer,both JC and Kingsport folks would probably come out better for these playoff games .BUT, it was colder then crap friday night and I don't know how much more of that I can take myself.Pneumonia is probably already working on me.If I had one that was a senior playing,I'd be there nomatter if it killed me.If I didn't have one on the team,there is no way in hail I'd sit out there sick.You young fans can take it and should be there by the thousands

Edited by BatmanDB

It was a pretty disappointing performance on both sides of the ball last night for SH even though we did score 59 points our offense had too many penalties, blocks in the back and holds along with a few false starts. Need to clean those up.

We lost yet another onside kick when a kid jumped up trying to bat the ball instead of letting it go back to the next level and turning upfield and blocking. Better have the hands team on every kick.

Kick off teams were terrible when the ball did not go into the end zone, seemed like they started past their own 40 yard line every time. Cold nights means it is very hard to kick it into the end zone. We better get that fixed and get use to the ball being run back instead of downed in the end zone.

The defense actually played the run very well last night except for the QB delayed runs. The QB from BC was an outstanding talent as a Soph. Great feet and a good arm, he will only get better. Very impressive.

The biggest disappointment however was the play of the defensive backs. I asked my son if they were in zone coverage all night and he said no mostly man, hard to believe man coverage could ever look like that. Seemed they all were standing around staring at each other instead of making a play on the ball. The TD to end the half, once the kid caught the ball at the 10 yard line no one tackled him and the clock had expired. Just terrible effort.

The thing about last night that really was sad to see was the lack of community support for the kids, empty stands after the kids have worked their butts off this year. Not sure what to say except it is hard to believe you would have just a couple hundred people show up for a playoff game. The city should be ashamed it can't muster support for its high school football team. I am sure it will be different this Friday at least on the visitors side but I have my doubts anyone from JC will be willing to sit in the cold and cheer the kids on...sad commentary.

Tough to beat a team twice in a season especially when you play them twice in three weeks but this team is special in many ways so I have faith they can do it! Go Toppers!!

I think the most disappointing thing about the evening was the home crowd. I walked in at 6.30p and the stands were practically enpty. A coach told me there was no pep rally...the kids at school didn't know who SHHS was playing. If it hadn't been for senior night it is scary to think the crowd could have been worse. It is like the lack of enthusiasm in the stands was reflected to the field. Of the people there probably 75% were parents of the players and band. Pretty pathetic.