Let's talk about CPA

LCFootballFanatic

If you have reliable sources and know the facts, then simply turn them in to the TSSAA and let them do their job.  If not, then your really have nothing to post here.  I do believe CPA's basketball players come in MS, although there are 4-5 that have been there since Kindergarten.  I also believe CPA has an advantage with the fact basketball AAU is such a high exposure sport and all players, coaches, etc know Drew and it gives CPA an opportunity for exposure.  I don't however believe CPA cheats, or unfairly recruites outside of what TSSAA allows.  If they do, I am sure one day they will get caught.  Otherwise, I think this post by CPA Chaingang lays it out perfectly.  See below.

Basketball is a bit of a different animal but OK, here is how you do it…. Hire a head coach that was a standout SEC guard, who lives and breathes basketball and the development of boys into great players and even more importantly, great young men. Hire a coach that has such a charisma that he is often hired to do college basketball play-by-play on TV and college basketball talk shows. Hire a coach that demands hard work from his team and is willing to travel with them to play preseason tournaments against some of the nation’s finest competition. Hire a coach that is so committed to his family that he is willing to stay a high school coach so he can watch his five children, two of which are adopted grow up. Watch as your coach’s reputation spreads throughout the country regarding his coaching talent and character and then sit back and watch as parents are so attracted to him that they choose to uproot house and home so their son who loves the game of basketball can play for a man like Coach Maddox. It is pretty much that simple. CPA has achieved the same thing for football in Ingle Martin. You can choose to hate CPA or learn from them. Make great hires of great men.

Edited by CPAchaingang, A day ago.

As I understand this, and maybe it has changed, in order to compete in tssaa playoffs, a team competing in DI cannot give financial aid on "varisity" level, which is considered 9-12 grades. However, at least in basketball, CPA rosters 8th graders (or has in the past). The assumption would be then those 8th graders (girls team has had 8th graders start varsity in the past) do not receive any financial aid. I'll leave that out there to the wolves.

I do believe, however, that if they dropped to DII they would end up with less competition, thus hurting their ability in the long run to "attract" (not recruit!) higher caliber students (ehh athletes). In other words, CPA will not budge (can't say I blame them) from where they are until TSSAA decides otherwise. They are simply a school taking full advantage of their situation. I don't have to like it, but that is the way it is.

As long as the player doesn't play in a Varsity Game they are not considered to be varsity. So Freshmen/B-team players can receive financial aide until they began to compete in varsity games. There is also work study for athletes both practice are loop hole to the "non-aide" rule.

Ok.  Lets look aT the starters both Offense and Defense.

16 out of 22 have been at the School since Kindergarten.   73%

That leaves 6 players that have transferred in  at some point 27%

It just so happens those transferred players are in key rolls.  QB, RB, OT ETC.

That 27% can make a huge difference in that Success.  Let's remove that 27% and play Westmoreland with the rest.  We will have a lot closer playing field and Westmoreland probably wins the game.

My next question?

Does every Athlete at CPA pay their own Tuition or is some the Athletes Tuition paid by Alumni or Strong supporters of the School?

If some are paid for by a party outside their Family,  let'ss remove those kids too. 

It's time to play the game since we have evened the playing field.

Who wins?

Edited by 64NB95

As long as the player doesn't play in a Varsity Game they are not considered to be varsity. So Freshmen/B-team players can receive financial aide until they began to compete in varsity games. There is also work study for athletes both practice are loop hole to the "non-aide" rule.

This is completely false. Freshman and B-team players are still entered on the TSSAA website as members of the high school roster and as such there is no such "loop hole". You do not enter separate rosters with the TSSAA for Freshmen and JV. There is only one place to register a player and that is on the high school roster.

Work study is an entirely different topic.

Geez, the crap people come up with. If your school thinks that freshmen and JV are exempt  they are 100% violating TSSAA policy. One phone call to 615-889-6740 will prove that.

That would be "benevolent work of the church". Very easy to do when one church controls the school. Benevolent help can be given directly to a family instead of applying it directly to school tuition which would be difficult to hide. Family can put it toward tuition or school clothes or whatever else they desire. There is no system of checks and balances for this.  Individual Churches are not required to disclose their benevolent work.  A school that is funded by multiple congregations cannot do that.

You know in my 44 years of Studying the Bible.  I cannot find one example where a Church funded, Operated or Maintained a Secular Education School.  This was not God's idea but Man's idea.  We see what kind of decisions man has made over the years througout History.

Never said it was anything but human error. Not sure what your point is.