Let's talk about CPA

LCFootballFanatic

Yes sir it sure is!!!

Same as 80% of the other public schools in TN.

Do yourself a favor and go back and read the entire thread.

Graçias.

Now your just pulling numbers out of the air or parroting bad info. I live in the Davidson county doughnut and all counties surrounding us are not open enrollment. Seems to me Alcoa and their big brother, Maryville, have a unfair advantage to closed zone public schools

I am not a CPA fan.  However, some of the arguments on here against them just don't make any sense.  Find a high school in America where all of the graduates went to the same school all the way from Kindergarten on.  I am pretty sure you won't find it.  People move and change schools all the time.  Find a metro Nashville school where the roster doesn't change multiple times every year if not every week.  Find a Metro Nashville school where coaches aren't talking to players about their cousin from another school who should come to school at ......(East, Pearl, Maplewood, etc....)  Recruiting does happen at public schools also.  To attend a private school a parent must make a decision to pay to have their child go to that school.  To attend a public school, a parent makes a decision about where to buy a house.  Either way the parent pays money to send their child to the school of their choice.  People move all of the time to go to another school.  How is that different from paying tuition to go to another school?  There is a lot of jealousy and "poor me" syndrome all over this board.  As a final note, I seriously doubt that the church is sending money to athlete's families to get them to go to school there.  I think some of you are really stretching to find a way to make them look bad.  All that being said, I hope CPA loses tomorrow, but not because they are evil or have done anything wrong though...

This is completely false. Freshman and B-team players are still entered on the TSSAA website as members of the high school roster and as such there is no such "loop hole". You do not enter separate rosters with the TSSAA for Freshmen and JV. There is only one place to register a player and that is on the high school roster.

Work study is an entirely different topic.

Geez, the crap people come up with. If your school thinks that freshmen and JV are exempt  they are 100% violating TSSAA policy. One phone call to 615-889-6740 will prove that.

I believe that you are incorrect. They can receive "need based" financial help unless they are varsity then they can do work study. Check your facts.

I am not a CPA fan.  However, some of the arguments on here against them just don't make any sense.  Find a high school in America where all of the graduates went to the same school all the way from Kindergarten on.  I am pretty sure you won't find it.  People move and change schools all the time.  Find a metro Nashville school where the roster doesn't change multiple times every year if not every week.  Find a Metro Nashville school where coaches aren't talking to players about their cousin from another school who should come to school at ......(East, Pearl, Maplewood, etc....)  Recruiting does happen at public schools also.  To attend a private school a parent must make a decision to pay to have their child go to that school.  To attend a public school, a parent makes a decision about where to buy a house.  Either way the parent pays money to send their child to the school of their choice.  People move all of the time to go to another school.  How is that different from paying tuition to go to another school?  There is a lot of jealousy and "poor me" syndrome all over this board.  As a final note, I seriously doubt that the church is sending money to athlete's families to get them to go to school there.  I think some of you are really stretching to find a way to make them look bad.  All that being said, I hope CPA loses tomorrow, but not because they are evil or have done anything wrong though...

Don't be naïve. Of course CPA (The church) pays tuition for some students. I worked with a mom of two CPA students. The kids and the mother worked several weekends and weekday evenings to work the money off.......this is not allowed per TSSAA guidelines.

Now your just pulling numbers out of the air or parroting bad info. I live in the Davidson county doughnut and all counties surrounding us are not open enrollment. Seems to me Alcoa and their big brother, Maryville, have a unfair advantage to closed zone public schools

Keep thinking that.

I have more than enough information in print to prove you wrong.

There is enough fence jumping in Nashville alone to prove my thesis with the magnets in the area.

Facts checked. Make the call. There is no distinction about anyone from 9th grade up.

Go ahead. Make the call. 615-889-6740

No... you are wrong, no financial aid may be given to a player that plays in a varsity game.  That is part of the problem with all of this.  Everyone thinks they know the rules, but few people really do....

Edited by Philofisher

Don't be naïve. Of course CPA (The church) pays tuition for some students. I worked with a mom of two CPA students. The kids and the mother worked several weekends and weekday evenings to work the money off.......this is not allowed per TSSAA guidelines

Facts checked. Make the call. There is no distinction about anyone from 9th grade up.

Go ahead. Make the call. 615-889-6740

No... you are wrong, no financial aid may be given to a player that plays in a varsity game.  That is part of the problem with all of this.  Everyone thinks they know the rules, but few people really do....

We know the rule, we just don't believe CPA follows those rules. CPA just needs to put their big boy pants on and move up to the private school division.