3a region 4 2015

Talked with a player today for Smith County about their scrimmage Friday. It was SC, White Co, Trousdale, & Tullahoma. Smith beat White Co and Trousdale and lost to Tullahoma. Most people believe they are improved at line, large senior class, schedule easier (no Alcoa or Cookeville) lots of talent in skill positions. QB is question? Very small but has played position all his life. Some feel King (WR) is best for position if given a chance. Last years team was much better than their record. No injuries, heavy senior team and much easier schedule could equal SC is back!

What would be considered back? 7-3 and playoffs,or 10-0....and a district title? I think if Smith goes 7-3 and gets in the playoffs, it will be huge for the program but I don't see a lot more than that, at least not this year. Smith is like UT, this could be the year but more likely next season

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be considered back? 7-3 and playoffs,or 10-0....and a district title? I think if Smith goes 7-3 and gets in the playoffs, it will be huge for the program but I don't see a lot more than that, at least not this year. Smith is like UT, this could be the year but more likely next season

Well, don't guess Ole' Bone has lost it yet. I also talked with a couple fellers that had some info. about the scrimmage, don't know if we can believe them or not, who said basically what 83 said. The only difference was that they said SC beat Tullahoma. That could have been the JV's score added, They said the defense really looked good with a total new attitude this year. Players who were hurt last year really stepped up. Now, don't nun of you knuckleheads think I am saying how good SC is, all I am saying they seem to be improved. Like ole Scooter says sometime, maybe we can beat CC this year. Hey UCM, question for you: What were the two conferences Cookeville, SC, Sparta, Baxter, Livingston and Gainesboro were in? Question was asked what would be a win/loss record that would indicate SC is startinf to turn their program around. All of you know programs go in cycles. SC went thru that cycle and appears to be gaining their swagger back. Not unusual for this to happen to any program. Various reasons cause this: lack of athletes, attitude, injuries, coaching and a sundry of other things. I hope we can win at least 6 games this year and go to the playoffs. Optimistic or realistic? Very good  group of young kids playing now AND on the way. That is what Bone says and I believe it!!!!!! Good luck to all and to all keep those injuries down

I believe SC will be in the playoffs this year. I've been saying all along not to sleep on the Owls. I don't imagine they will be world beaters, but neither will any other team in this region either. I'm not sure our region will have a team good enough to win 2 playoff games this year. I think we're going to see an extremely competitive region when it comes to the top 4. Not much will separate the top two teams from the next two in line. I believe there will be a two way tie for the region championship. Tie breakers will settle it IMO.

I have asked the question if SC was to only win 3-4 games this year and miss the playoffs once again, what would happen? Would yalls coach be let go or what? I'd like to hear the SC folks opinion on that. 

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

I believe SC will be in the playoffs this year. I've been saying all along not to sleep on the Owls. I don't imagine they will be world beaters, but neither will any other team in this region either. I'm not sure our region will have a team good enough to win 2 playoff games this year. I think we're going to see an extremely competitive region when it comes to the top 4. Not much will separate the top two teams from the next two in line. My prediction is we will have a two way tie for the region championship. It's going to come down to tie breakers IMO.

I have asked the question if SC was to only win 3-4 games this year and miss the playoffs once again, what would happen? Would yalls coach be let go or what? I'd like to hear the SC folks opinion on that. 

I agree with DCTIGERFAN that if SC wins less than 5 games with this heavy senior squad and easier schedule there will be people calling for coach's head. A healthy team last year beat Gordonsville, UHS, and York. Everyone keeps talking about CC loss but we had a bunch of starters out and I remember one of the coaches saying we dropped 7 first down passes and 2 TD passes. Just one of those games the WR's could not catch a cold and line was mainly JV so no run game. Same thing at Macon...winning TD pass dropped last drive, Warren County loss was coaching error. Coach Maynord knew our line was going to be down a couple years and to put Alcoa and Cookeville on our schedule was settting us up to fail. I think other than a repeated severe injury season there is no reason SC does not win at least 6 games.

Well, don't guess Ole' Bone has lost it yet. I also talked with a couple fellers that had some info. about the scrimmage, don't know if we can believe them or not, who said basically what 83 said. The only difference was that they said SC beat Tullahoma. That could have been the JV's score added, They said the defense really looked good with a total new attitude this year. Players who were hurt last year really stepped up. Now, don't nun of you knuckleheads think I am saying how good SC is, all I am saying they seem to be improved. Like ole Scooter says sometime, maybe we can beat CC this year. Hey UCM, question for you: What were the two conferences Cookeville, SC, Sparta, Baxter, Livingston and Gainesboro were in? Question was asked what would be a win/loss record that would indicate SC is startinf to turn their program around. All of you know programs go in cycles. SC went thru that cycle and appears to be gaining their swagger back. Not unusual for this to happen to any program. Various reasons cause this: lack of athletes, attitude, injuries, coaching and a sundry of other things. I hope we can win at least 6 games this year and go to the playoffs. Optimistic or realistic? Very good group of young kids playing now AND on the way. That is what Bone says and I believe it!!!!!! Good luck to all and to all keep those injuries down

no clue on that confrence, way before my time. UH will fill Smith's pain this year playing Cookeville. Should be Cookeville's most talented to every from top to bottom.

no clue on that confrence, way before my time. UH will fill Smith's pain this year playing Cookeville. Should be Cookeville's most talented to every from top to bottom.

1) Upper Cumberland Conference. 2) Cumberland Valley Conference (with Gordonsville and Trousdale added). Were known as UCC and CVC conferences.

I agree with DCTIGERFAN that if SC wins less than 5 games with this heavy senior squad and easier schedule there will be people calling for coach's head. A healthy team last year beat Gordonsville, UHS, and York. Everyone keeps talking about CC loss but we had a bunch of starters out and I remember one of the coaches saying we dropped 7 first down passes and 2 TD passes. Just one of those games the WR's could not catch a cold and line was mainly JV so no run game. Same thing at Macon...winning TD pass dropped last drive, Warren County loss was coaching error. Coach Maynord knew our line was going to be down a couple years and to put Alcoa and Cookeville on our schedule was settting us up to fail. I think other than a repeated severe injury season there is no reason SC does not win at least 6 games.

SC Board of Education has just recently updated the coaching supplements for head coaches and assistants. Very competitive and will definitely be a plus in getting attention from coaches should a position become available. My understanding is that it is higher than surrounding systems plus a cost of living increase each year. Supplement will increase each year and stay competitive each year.