(11-1) Oakland @ (11-1) Blackman Part 2

oldfan41

Oakland had no problem settling in after a couple of possessions so thats on Blackman. I never said I condoned the behavior, but these are 14-18 year old kids, they are going to lose their heads from time to time, especially in a game where both teams have been talking trash all season long. Last night it got out of hand because the refs made no effort to let the teams know that type of behavior wouldnt be tolerated so thats on them. 

In 1998, Oakland and Lincoln County was a big rivalry and it was just as ugly as it was last night. This was a rivalry game bewteen 2 teams that dont have alot of warm feelings for each other. 

Did u watch the same game I watched? The refs did all they could hence numerous unsportsmanlike penalties. And neither team calmed down till after the half. Let Oakland pull the same stuff Friday it won't be pretty very early!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Oakland and their fans! They were certainly the better team last night and deserved to win.

With that said, I am so disappointed by the terrible display of sportsmanship and poor attitude by both teams. I was embarrassed to sit on the Blackman side last night and most of our long time fans and supporters felt the same way, and told me so. I wish that game had not been on TV for everyone to see.

Both teams had kids who just couldnt shut their mouths. Why is it that our kids have to physically restrain some of our players over and over again? Many of the Blackman seniors have been placed on pedestals and walked around with their heads swollen for some time now. I think Blackman created their own monsters by allowing that to happen. Several of those seniors have set a poor example for their younger teammates to follow. I am afraid its happening again with some very talented freshman players who are being placed on the pedestal by allowing them to dress and play varsity downs when that has not been done in the past. Bowling Green called us thugs last season and several of our players acted like it last night.

It seemed the same was true for several of the Oakland players last night as well. Pedestals are bad. Keep kids off of them.

As for the game, the Oakland coaches will take credit for executing their game plan, but simply put, Blackman beat themselves last night. The team that I saw play last night wasnt even close to the team that I have watched all season. Jennings throws out a terrible decision which leads to a costly INT, I dont know how many passes hit our receivers right in the hands or chest and were dropped...all at very key points in the game. The stupid running of the mouth penalties that cost us TWO drives. Those were especially egregious and stupid. I dont understand why some kids are SO undisciplined and selfish. I will lay down some Adrien Peterson style discipline on my sons if they act this way, but several parents think this kind of attitude is admirable and acceptable. The terrible play calling and execution at the goal line when we failed to punch it in was also confusing and disappointing. When Oakland lined up the two point conversion, Blackman fell for the spread and Oakland runs it right up the gut for the easy 2. That really got them excited. I could go on and on.

Blackman had a very successful season, but relied too heavily on a shallow depth of players. I think when we played Hoover there were probably 35-40 kids who played meaningful downs. It seemed to me that they had 11 on offense and 11 on defense and reserves for both. I know its not the same at Maryville, but it has to be close. It seems to me that Blackman may be in the low to mid 20s. Why with 100 kids, do many of our kids have to go both ways? Last night, 24 was limping, 7 was limping, and 2 was getting hammered, but they all have to play defense because no one else is better? Really? I understand you have to put your best players on the field, but until we work on developing football players instead of relying only on the most talented ones, we, and this county are never going to beat Maryville or Alcoa, or Hoover, etc.

Congrats again to Oakland, I am rooting for them to win and I certainly hope that they represent our county better than both teams did last night.

I dont condone the behavior,especially of mine acting like that, but yoi dont see any any of these kids getting arrested or addicted to pills or any any other drugs like many of the students at these schools, and My wife and I dont raise thugs with that being said you and the rest on here that are embarrassed can go fly a kite!!!!!!!!

Did u watch the same game I watched? The refs did all they could hence numerous unsportsmanlike penalties. And neither team calmed down till after the half. Let Oakland pull the same stuff Friday it won't be pretty very early!

I agree. The refs were dishing out 15 yarders all night. They could be seen warning players after the play. I think they did what they could. It was just an ugly contest.

Other than the first quarter, Oakland kept their composure.  Blackman didn't, thus their numerous unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.  Blackman scored 7 points on the first drive, aided by 40 yards of penalties against Oakland.  Oakland gave up a voluntary safety, and held Blackman out of the end zone on four plays from the two yard line. 

Take away the 40 penalty yards on the first drive and the safety and this is a shutout.  Awesome defensive effort by the Patriots.

I've been a 7aaa fan for 20+ years and loved almost every minute of it until tonight! This was the game everyone has been waiting for since the final second of the first game. The coaches and players on both sides let every fan down. Both teams were so built up they couldn't play football! Blackman never did settle down! Oakland finally did half way through the third quarter and took over the game. It was the worst showing of sportsman ship I have seen in a very long time on both sides. Now Oakland has the daunting task of taking on a Maryville team that will destroy them if they come out with this same attitude! Guys I've been around since my kid was 6 years old he's 28 now and I've never been more embarrassed as a fan as I was tonight! Patriots I'm asking as a fan come out next Friday and play with all the nastiness and vigor as u need to but as a football player not a thug! I'm not a Maryville fan and I hope we beat the snot out of them come next Friday but I do respect them and their coaches and the way they play the game! GQ and his teams always seem to play with confidence and respect of the game, that's the tradition u all should strive for every time u step on the gridiron! Sorry for the rant but i love this great sport and I love every player in the 7AAA district!

I was very disappointed in the sportsmanship from both teams especially Blackman, but everyone on here that keeps referring to these kids as "thugs" needs be embarrassed by those remarks, take a trip with me back to my old neighborhood and you will get a first hand view of a thug, I was trying to refrain even getting on the message board solely for this reason, I told my son after the game as he crying his eyes out that they didnt deserve to win with all the unsportsmanlike penalties they had then I wrapped my arms around him and told him I Love him, I am really apalled by the mentioning of the word thug when referring to these young men, and yes oldfan and any other idiot that has referred to the kids as thugs I got a huge problem with you Sir!!!!!!!!!!

I was very disappointed in the sportsmanship from both teams especially Blackman, but everyone on here that keeps referring to these kids as "thugs" needs be embarrassed by those remarks, take a trip with me back to my old neighborhood and you will get a first hand view of a thug, I was trying to refrain even getting on the message board solely for this reason, I told my son after the game as he crying his eyes out that they didnt deserve to win with all the unsportsmanlike penalties they had then I wrapped my arms around him and told him I Love him, I am really apalled by the mentioning of the word thug when referring to these young men, and yes oldfan and any other idiot that has referred to the kids as thugs I got a huge problem with you Sir!!!!!!!!!!

I apologize for using the word thug sir. But u and I know this game both teams Blackman and Oakland misrepresented our community on the field Friday night no questions asked! All I was trying to say to the Oakland boys was represent Murfreesboro the right way against Maryville win or lose! Like someone else said I can't believe they acted this way on TV for all to see. I know they've all been raised better than to act this way. U can see how u like but if Blackman had come out to play the way we know they could have without the attitude it probably was a totally different game! We will never know and the kids will have to live with it. Patriots u guys have another week set it right I know everyone in the Boro's pulling for u!  

You're a great father. Emotions take over a lot of the time and you react in a way you're later not proud of. I'm not even from that area of the State, but getting an unsportsmanlike or personal foul doesn't qualify anyone of being a thug. Your love is greater than any game he'll ever play in. Ignore the idiots on here.

Just because a player gets an unsportsman like conduct penalty does not make them a thug! People need to remember that these are teenage boys playing this game we all love and sometimes in a game some lose their heads! My thought is this goes back to the coaching of players! When this kind of stuff is going on the coach should be addressing this when it becomes an issue. It becomes an issue when it happens one time, my opinion! Can one of you that went to this game tell me how many of these penalties were called? Just curious! Thank you!