Oak Ridge 2015

SweetScience

I heard a rumor that turf will be installed at Blankenship Field.

I'll have to see that to believe it. I don't think it will happen. The other places who get it installed have the full support of the city including millions of dollars from the city but our city government won't spend a dime to upgrade our facility. Gaddis is known for getting things done but this is more than he can handle.

Looking ahead to next season here are my concerns, and there are many. First of all as I look at our starters from last year and look at our roster in the program we are in big trouble in the secondary. We lost them all with nobody returning with any experience. To make matters worse the freshmen and JV games I attended I remember seeing passes thrown over our heads at will. So our defense won't be nearly as good as last year. On offense we lost our line and we could barely run the ball in freshmen and JV games and our linemen looked small. We don't have a great back who will just "make things happen" and our QB isn't mobile. We have a great receiver but we can't run the ball well and the line can't overpower anyone. What do we do? I figure we will be pretty good anyway but I keep hearing everyone point to 2015 and 2016 as years where we make a run at a title and I just don't see it.....but I want to be wrong. Somebody please come on here and lesson my concerns.

Edited by catswild

I'll have to see that to believe it. I don't think it will happen. The other places who get it installed have the full support of the city including millions of dollars from the city but our city government won't spend a dime to upgrade our facility. Gaddis is known for getting things done but this is more than he can handle.

The City of Maryville did front the money for our turf on the condition that MHS pays it back. So the school has sold expensive advertising on the scoreboard and all around the stadium. Upped the prices to our season tickets and we can purchase plaques that are placed on the brick columns around the endzone. And those aren't for the poor!  And for the poor men and women (like me lol) memorial brick pavers and be purchased and placed on sidewalk where the championship pictures are. So there is some fundraising that can be done. I'm sure as smart as Coach G is he has thought of some ideas. Surely as much money as Large Ed's takes in at  home games, they would throw some money towards upgrades.

Edited by rebelwoman87

Looking ahead to next season here are my concerns, and there are many. First of all as I look at our starters from last year and look at our roster in the program we are in big trouble in the secondary. We lost them all with nobody returning with any experience. To make matters worse the freshmen and JV games I attended I remember seeing passes thrown over our heads at will. So our defense won't be nearly as good as last year. On offense we lost our line and we could barely run the ball in freshmen and JV games and our linemen looked small. We don't have a great back who will just "make things happen" and our QB isn't mobile. We have a great receiver but we can't run the ball well and the line can't overpower anyone. What do we do? I figure we will be pretty good anyway but I keep hearing everyone point to 2015 and 2016 as years where we make a run at a title and I just don't see it.....but I want to be wrong. Somebody please come on here and lesson my concerns.

Linemen at the freshmen and JV level never get the reps or coaching the varsity line gets. Happens every year. JV and freshmen are a hodgepodge of ideas and players being thrown around all the time.The line is being put together already. I predict (or something similar):

OT  6'6" 250 

OG  6'1" 225 

C     6'1" 250

OG  6'3" 230

OT  6'5" 250

TE   6'6" 260

New starters replace old ones on varsity all the time. Maybe even someone playing RB that has not played RB at fresh, JV, or Varsity level.  Maybe a RB at corner. Maybe an All-American at safety. Soooooo many ideas being thrown around. It is still early. . I have complete faith that they will make a run at state. I understand how one can doubt but I don't feel it. 

Potential DBs:

Sophs: Caleb Martin and Adarious Simpson

Jrs: Tee Higgins, Demarrea Whitt, Chase Kimbro, Jaret Miner, Caleb Jackson, Stefan Mortl, Mark Kaczocha

Srs: Jordan Dunbar, Davon Middleton, Colton Wade, Jaylen Nickerson, TJ Allison, Gavin Warrington (you never know)

I have heard of a transfer that has the look and build of D. Whitt.

Quiet rumors of basketball players Geevantay Gee and EJ Bush talking about football.

The players have been told to get ready to play both ways. I think the coaches can build a secondary out of these guys.

Potential DBs:

Sophs: Caleb Martin and Adarious Simpson

Jrs: Tee Higgins, Demarrea Whitt, Chase Kimbro, Jaret Miner, Caleb Jackson, Stefan Mortl, Mark Kaczocha

Srs: Jordan Dunbar, Davon Middleton, Colton Wade, Jaylen Nickerson, TJ Allison, Gavin Warrington (you never know)

I have heard of a transfer that has the look and build of D. Whitt.

Quiet rumors of basketball players Geevantay Gee and EJ Bush talking about football.

The players have been told to get ready to play both ways. I think the coaches can build a secondary out of these guys.

I was told Caleb Martin wasn't going to play football this coming year? Don't know how much truth to that their is, but that's what I heard. Funny you mention Bush. Me and my dad at the basketball game were talking last night about how he could be a fantastic WR. Tall, long arms, and that boy can run down that court. Imagine him and Tee on opposite sides? Electric.

Linemen at the freshmen and JV level never get the reps or coaching the varsity line gets. Happens every year. JV and freshmen are a hodgepodge of ideas and players being thrown around all the time.The line is being put together already. I predict (or something similar):

OT 6'6" 250

OG 6'1" 225

C 6'1" 250

OG 6'3" 230

OT 6'5" 250

TE 6'6" 260

New starters replace old ones on varsity all the time. Maybe even someone playing RB that has not played RB at fresh, JV, or Varsity level. Maybe a RB at corner. Maybe an All-American at safety. Soooooo many ideas being thrown around. It is still early. . I have complete faith that they will make a run at state. I understand how one can doubt but I don't feel it.

Ok. That makes me feel some better although in some cases I have no idea who you're talking about. I'm worried about our offense for sure though. I don't want to be too negative about any players so I won't be but I really worry.

OT 6'6" 250

OG 6'1" 225

C 6'1" 250

OG 6'3" 230

OT 6'5" 250

TE 6'6" 260

New starters replace old ones on varsity all the time. Maybe even someone playing RB that has not played RB at fresh, JV, or Varsity level. Maybe a RB at corner. Maybe an All-American at safety. Soooooo many ideas being thrown around. It is still early. . I have complete faith that they will make a run at state. I understand how one can doubt but I don't feel it.

Your concerns are valid Catswild. Offensively Oak Ridge has to be able to run the football. Not putting down any player but trying to live off the big play pass only gets you so far. Eventually equal talent and/or coaching catches up with you. I think they have two of the better running backs in the area in Allison/Nickerson (if Jones stayed they would had 3).  They have some young guys too (Kimbrough (showed sparks as a freshman) and freshman Simpson). O line I think will be a little more mobile than last year. How they use Middleton is a key. QB must make proper reads and get ball out quicker (a year under belt should improve that naturally). I still think they have to be able to consistently run the football.  Tee Higgins will be eliminated through coverages and schemes.  Last year they had other WRs that could beat you #2, Bonds, Dunbar, Mitchell. This year they won't. Secondary, I wish they played more players to prepare them. But they have athletic kids and with good coaching they will be solid. 

As far as basketball players...forget it, the Oak Ridger said they (bball team) are going back to the Bahamas.  The kids at OR say that is the reason the Martin kid is not playing. the trip is during November so I doubt any bball players that don't have something riding on football (Higgins, Middleton, Whitt) would jeopardize missing that trip. JMO