Casey Tate new Grundy Head Coach

DelTavian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of talk from players of his "era" getting behind him.

No matter who they hired for the team to rise above + or - .500 the community will need to rally. You need more kids in uniform for sure but those kids have to see that people care. If there isn't a new movement with people going out of their way to support the program it would be hard for anyone to succeed.....anywhere.

There's a lot of support being shown on FB in the community so far. Hopefully for the program that will move to support in meetings, fundraisers, games and all other events.

I know another middle school coach in the area that deserves a shot.  Sequatchie's middle schools coach has sent three teams to the high school that has either played in or won a SVC Championship.  I coached middle school one year and we beat Grundy for the SVC Championship when i coached the middle school there I think in 99.  I have coached at high school since then, but I am going to tell you it is not as easy as one might think.  Especially winning a championship, having athletes or not. You only have the kids two years, You have to reteach things daddys have taught them.  You are dealing with kids that think they are smarter than you.  You really are limited to running a few plays if you really want to execute those plays well.  If you don't know how to coach fundamentals you are not going to be successful, of course thats at every level.  I guess my point is middle school coaches get a bad rap about just being a middle school coach.  One more thing, some of the most successful head football coaches I know have played or been offensive line coaches before becoming a head coach.  I know the other candidates that applied and I know they would have a good job, but I think this guy given time can do well  The only problem at Grundy is how do you define well.  Like Whitwell, Sequatchie, and Bledsoe in the surrounding area they have never been world beaters. I could be wrong but did I read that Bryant took the team to playoffs 5 of his 6 years.  On paper that does not look to bad.  Pretty good resume if you ask me.           

Edited by possum

I know another middle school coach in the area that deserves a shot. Sequatchie's middle schools coach has sent three teams to the high school that has either played in or won a SVC Championship. I coached middle school one year and we beat Grundy for the SVC Championship when i coached the middle school there I think in 99. I have coached at high school since then, but I am going to tell you it is not as easy as one might think. Especially winning a championship, having athletes or not. You only have the kids two years, You have to reteach things daddys have taught them. You are dealing with kids that think they are smarter than you. You really are limited to running a few plays if you really want to execute those plays well. If you don't know how to coach fundamentals you are not going to be successful, of course thats at every level. I guess my point is middle school coaches get a bad rap about just being a middle school coach. One more thing, some of the most successful head football coaches I know have played or been offensive line coaches before becoming a head coach. I know the other candidates that applied and I know they would have a good job, but I think this guy given time can do well The only problem at Grundy is how do you define well. Like Whitwell, Sequatchie, and Bledsoe in the surrounding area they have never been world beaters. I could be wrong but did I read that Bryant took the team to playoffs 5 of his 6 years. On paper that does not look to bad. Pretty good resume if you ask me.

100% correct...Bledsoe, Sequachie, Grundy doesn't have the year in year out speed or talent that a Tyner or SP has. They also candraw in kids like Boyd or ND. Expectations have to have these facts in consideration.

Bryant reached the playoffs all 6 years. However once there they were normally blown out and that's one of the big factors that got him.

No one with any brains expects Grundy to be world beaters. However there have been plenty of winning seasons and some wins in the playoffs as well and folks expect to reach those levels when there's enough talent on the field.

There's fence hangers that know when that is and there's fence hangers that don't have a clue. You have to battle through all of it on the Mountain along with a limited demographic which sometimes limits what you can put on the field.

So...Would I love to see a state championship? Yes of course. Do I expect to see one without a serious population shift? Nope. I'm sure I'll be in trouble for saying too......

But I sure would love to see the quarterfinals again.

Edited by DelTavian